Sign in with
Your question

Crossfire 5850, 2nd gpu wont load more than 35%. Spent $400 on new cpu

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 13, 2012 2:33:46 PM

5850 Crossfire 1x HIS X1 OEM with current HIS bios
850 watts Antec
16 GB Patriot Ram

First of all, I upgraded from a 1055T because I thought that was bottlenecking my 5850 crossfire. Now that I upgraded to the king of CPU's same problem.

Latest drivers, AMD Catalyst™ Application Profiles installed, crossfire bridge is on there, GPU'Z and AMD CCC both show Crossfire is enabled. Lanes are X8, Tested games are BF3 and Crysis 2 but Crysis 2 doesnt really need extra muscle. But I want my BF3 to max out, its my favorite game That I cant enjoy like I want to.

Both GPU'z work, I know this cause they mine bitcoins like monsters. So they do indefinitely work even with crossfire on bitcoins. So something tells me some setting or some little joke thing is causing me problems.

I know AI Catalyst is suppose to be turned on, but is it suppose to be on performance or quality?
What other settings could be hindering its performance?
The bios on the graphics cards are up to date and both HIS branded. Should the bios be different than each other?

I have been at a loss for 5 months now, please help. If im sure of anything. Im sick of Crossfire, this may (90% positive) be my last. Fresh install of OS btw.
April 13, 2012 4:41:14 PM

Wait you spent $400 on an i5-2500K?!?!?!?- send it back if you can!!! I will buy one and send ship it to you they're 230 ish over here, and you can pay me once you get it!

Maybe not enough power, try upgrading the bios on both cards to the leatest should help.
m
l
April 13, 2012 7:23:10 PM

Well I meant $400 for cpu and mobo with a cm 212.

The cards run 100% simultaneously when mining bitcoins AND overclocked to 800. So couldnt be power. The bios are both up to date and same version.

Should I flash the oem card to a different brand other than HIS?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2012 8:03:37 PM

I never had a problem with my SLI set up in BF until the last BF3 update. I had to re install the drivers to fix the issue.

I could max out gpu use in 3dmark but not Bf3. I would get 90/30 use and crappy FPS. The driver install fixed it for me.

SLI bridge issue?
Each card tested alone?
Power Management setting? (some times a program will scale one gpu back to save power)
You don't have a CPU bottle neck issue and you Mobo seems fine.
Other thing could be one GPU not getting the power it needs from the PSU.

My gut tells me that it is a driver problem.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2012 8:25:28 PM

Are you running your games fullscreen or windowed mode (including fullscreen window)? Crossfire requires fullscreen. Also I'd try connecting both crossfire bridges to see if that helps.
m
l
a c 124 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
April 13, 2012 8:28:42 PM

That's very weird. I sometimes get that issue if I alt-tab out of a game and back into it.

Also, games must be on Fullscreen for crossfire to work.

Have you tried any benchmarks?

I know you did a fresh Windows install, but with later driver releases have you done a full uninstallation and driver sweep before installing new drivers?
http://wolframpc.blogspot.ca/2012/01/how-to-install-cro...
m
l
April 13, 2012 10:15:28 PM

Ok here is an update, when i oced my 2500k to 3.9 Both gpus go to 80-85% on CRYSIS 2, but max the frame rate at 60 (maxed out settings) but same frame rates and usage with BF3.

Both cards have been tested by themselves, I only have 1 CF bridge. But I doubt thats the issue because I have read that all it does is tell the cards that they are connected and that if the GPU-Z/AMD Catalyst says its in Crossfire mode that its working.

Its in full screen mode.

Im starting to wander if its just BF3 being a crappy coded game. When I saw Crysis 2 get a solid 60 FPS I was so happy. But I dont feel a OC should be needed for it. Without the OC i was getting 45 fps on avg.

Please if anyone has any more suggestions please help.

Later tonight im gonna find my maximum OC on the cpu. I have a feeling I can oc it to 4.6 easy with this CM 212 with a delta fan than see if my FPS increase. I doubt it will but maybe BF3 is just very cpu demanding on 64 player.
m
l
April 13, 2012 10:23:58 PM

chaosgs said:
Ok here is an update, when i oced my 2500k to 3.9 Both gpus go to 80-85% on CRYSIS 2, but max the frame rate at 60 (maxed out settings) but same frame rates and usage with BF3.

Both cards have been tested by themselves, I only have 1 CF bridge. But I doubt thats the issue because I have read that all it does is tell the cards that they are connected and that if the GPU-Z/AMD Catalyst says its in Crossfire mode that its working.

Its in full screen mode.

Im starting to wander if its just BF3 being a crappy coded game. When I saw Crysis 2 get a solid 60 FPS I was so happy. But I dont feel a OC should be needed for it. Without the OC i was getting 45 fps on avg.

Please if anyone has any more suggestions please help.

Later tonight im gonna find my maximum OC on the cpu. I have a feeling I can oc it to 4.6 easy with this CM 212 with a delta fan than see if my FPS increase. I doubt it will but maybe BF3 is just very cpu demanding on 64 player.

Its BF3
m
l
April 14, 2012 12:34:50 AM

So are you guys saying the game doesnt fully utilize Crossfire? I am the kind of guy that wants 50+ frames on max detail.

It pays off for me, Im the guy you see on top of the score at the end of the game....Except for BF3. When the game dips below 45 It does seem harder/ more inaccurate when firing.
m
l
April 14, 2012 1:01:57 AM

Yes and no, I dont keep it overclocked. But I have clocked it up to 4.5 just to see if that would help it at all and it didnt.
m
l
a c 124 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
April 14, 2012 4:34:09 AM

I have an i5 750 @ 4ghz and two 5850s at 870/1200. BF3 at Ultra with SSAO, 2xMSAA gets around 70-75fps avg. Only reason for SSAO vs HBAO and 2xMSAA is VRAM bottleneck.

Also if you're getting 60 fps exactly then you have vsync enabled. This will limit your usage is your cards can output more than 60 fps.
m
l
April 14, 2012 3:13:27 PM

wolfram23 said:
I have an i5 750 @ 4ghz and two 5850s at 870/1200. BF3 at Ultra with SSAO, 2xMSAA gets around 70-75fps avg. Only reason for SSAO vs HBAO and 2xMSAA is VRAM bottleneck.

Also if you're getting 60 fps exactly then you have vsync enabled. This will limit your usage is your cards can output more than 60 fps.

Than thats what I should be getting, and I want it lol. But seriously why isnt my 2nd gpu kicking in on this game? Any special settings? Should I flash the bios to another brand on the OEM card?
m
l
April 14, 2012 6:48:18 PM

Please does anyone have any suggestions? This sucks so bad.
m
l
a c 124 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2012 12:21:52 AM

What models of 5850s do you have, specifically?
m
l
April 15, 2012 1:35:07 AM

HIS reference and an oem reference.
m
l
a c 124 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2012 1:45:05 AM

chaosgs said:
HIS reference and an oem reference.

By an "OEM reference" do you mean it is literally an "ATI Radeon HD 5850"? No brand name?

I'm guessing you bought that at Best Buy?

Might want to flash the HIS BIOS onto it. Maybe...
m
l
April 15, 2012 1:52:20 AM

wolfram23 said:
By an "OEM reference" do you mean it is literally an "ATI Radeon HD 5850"? No brand name?

I'm guessing you bought that at Best Buy?

Might want to flash the HIS BIOS onto it. Maybe...

Lol got a good deal for it on 1saleaday for $120. Yup its non branded. But it does have an up to date HIS bios on it, matches the same bios on the other card.

Im getting frustrated with it to the point I want to flash it to a different brand or even flash it to a 5870. But every time I flash it I get nervous lol.
m
l
a c 124 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2012 3:20:44 AM

Hmm could be the original flash that is causing issues. Hard to say. If possible I'd try going back to the default BIOS. And maybe try to find who manufactured that card.
m
l
April 15, 2012 3:27:24 AM

Uh oh, I didnt save that bios and I dont know where to find an oem bios. GPU-Z didnt say anything but the bios number it came with which was like 3-4 versions old at the time. I will attempt to reflash it later. Assuming radeon pro program doesnt work.
m
l
!