Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

Processor cores

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Partition
  • Display Adapter
  • Processors
Last response: in CPUs
October 9, 2012 5:53:43 PM

How come my info is only showing 2 processor cores? Does that mean I'm only using 2 on my i7 3770? How can I get that to read 4? That is what I am supposed to be using right all 4 cores?

Thanks so much!

Kinnyr90

System
Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
Model To be filled by O.E.M.
Total amount of system memory 16.0 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2
Storage
Total size of hard disk(s) 2329 GB
Disk partition (C 433 GB Free (466 GB Total)
Disk partition (D 1218 GB Free (1863 GB Total)
Media drive (E CD/DVD
Media drive (F CD/DVD
Graphics
Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GT 240
Total available graphics memory 4095 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 3071 MB
Display adapter driver version 9.18.13.623
Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080
DirectX version DirectX 10

More about : processor cores

a b à CPUs
October 9, 2012 6:32:35 PM

Check your BIOS to see if all cores are enabled.
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 9:03:37 PM

twelve25 said:
Check your BIOS to see if all cores are enabled.


I did that. It's 4 but it is set to auto. So It has the number 4 and then has auto next to it. Should I switch it from auto to 4 also? I still have no idea why it doesn't show up that way in Windows.

Thanks

Kinnyr90
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 9, 2012 9:19:23 PM

Kinnyr90 said:
I did that. It's 4 but it is set to auto. So It has the number 4 and then has auto next to it. Should I switch it from auto to 4 also? I still have no idea why it doesn't show up that way in Windows.

Thanks

Kinnyr90


go to windows task manager and go to the performance tab. how many cpu usage history boxes does it show you have?
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 9:27:25 PM

cbrunnem said:
go to windows task manager and go to the performance tab. how many cpu usage history boxes does it show you have?



It has 8. So It shows 8 in task manger. So does that mean that it should be also showing 8 in the bios?

Thanks Kinnyr90
m
0
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
October 9, 2012 9:35:50 PM

Kinnyr90 said:
It has 8. So It shows 8 in task manger. So does that mean that it should be also showing 8 in the bios?

Thanks Kinnyr90


task manager shows the number of available threads which for the hyperthreaded i7 it is 8. the Bios shows the number of cores which is 4 for the i7. An i7 is a quad core with hyperthreading which gives each core 2 threads which is why you see 8 boxes in task manager.

you are fine. your computer is as it should be.
Share
October 9, 2012 9:39:26 PM

cbrunnem said:
task manager shows the number of available threads which for the hyperthreaded i7 it is 8. the Bios shows the number of cores which is 4 for the i7. An i7 is a quad core with hyperthreading which gives each core 2 threads which is why you see 8 boxes in task manager.

you are fine. your computer is as it should be.


Thanks so much!

What a relieve!

Kinnyr90
m
0
l
October 9, 2012 9:39:51 PM

Best answer selected by Kinnyr90.
m
0
l