Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How to join folders containg pictures taken with two diffe..

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 11:45:45 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Greetings! I shall be doing some travel in future. I have two cameras -
One Kodak Dx6490 with ten X zoom - (38 to 380 mm)and another Canon A510
with 4x zoom (35 to 140 mm) 35 mm camera lens equivalent. How do I
join the pictures taken with these two different camers so that
pictures can be seen chronologically? With thanks.
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 12:16:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On 23 Jul 2005 07:45:45 -0700, arouth@radiology.umsmed.edu wrote:

>Greetings! I shall be doing some travel in future. I have two cameras -
>One Kodak Dx6490 with ten X zoom - (38 to 380 mm)and another Canon A510
>with 4x zoom (35 to 140 mm) 35 mm camera lens equivalent. How do I
>join the pictures taken with these two different camers so that
>pictures can be seen chronologically? With thanks.

If I understand what you want (to be able to view the photos as a
slideshow with all photos in the exact order in which they were taken,
regardless of camera used), the best way I can come up with is to use
something like AutoIt (http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/) to write
a script to rename each photo using the timestamp in the EXIF data to
order the photos.
Anyone know of a better way?

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
funktionality.blogspot.com
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 2:56:11 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On 23 Jul 2005 07:45:45 -0700, in rec.photo.digital
arouth@radiology.umsmed.edu wrote:

>Greetings! I shall be doing some travel in future. I have two cameras -
>One Kodak Dx6490 with ten X zoom - (38 to 380 mm)and another Canon A510
>with 4x zoom (35 to 140 mm) 35 mm camera lens equivalent. How do I
>join the pictures taken with these two different camers so that
>pictures can be seen chronologically? With thanks.


Join were? Seen were, with what software?
----------
Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (Usenet@EdwardG.Ruf.com)
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photography/General/index...
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 3:12:37 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

arouth@radiology.umsmed.edu wrote:
> Greetings! I shall be doing some travel in future. I have two cameras -
> One Kodak Dx6490 with ten X zoom - (38 to 380 mm)and another Canon A510
> with 4x zoom (35 to 140 mm) 35 mm camera lens equivalent. How do I
> join the pictures taken with these two different camers so that
> pictures can be seen chronologically? With thanks.
>

Just download all your images onto your computer.
Then "cherry pick" the images you want to save, in the whatever order
you desire and copy them to a separate folder. To make sure that they
stay in that order, write 001, 002 etc.,in front of the title of the image.
Then "burn" the images to a CD.
July 23, 2005 3:38:16 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

<arouth@radiology.umsmed.edu> a écrit dans le message de news:
1122129945.893966.67790@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Greetings! I shall be doing some travel in future. I have two cameras -
> One Kodak Dx6490 with ten X zoom - (38 to 380 mm)and another Canon A510
> with 4x zoom (35 to 140 mm) 35 mm camera lens equivalent. How do I
> join the pictures taken with these two different camers so that
> pictures can be seen chronologically? With thanks.
>

Set precisely the 2 camera clocks, then
in your viewing software, set the display order by EXIF timestamp.

BreezeBrowser can do that, others too I presume.

--
Mike
Anonymous
July 23, 2005 6:06:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 08:16:41 -0700, Bill Funk wrote:

> something like AutoIt (http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/) to write
> a script to rename each photo using the timestamp in the EXIF data to
> order the photos.
> Anyone know of a better way?

I came across a free program named "Stamp" several days ago that
claims to rename picture files based on the EXIF date/time
information. I didn't download it though, as I was looking for
another feature. I don't know what the URL is, but it may still
exist in my browser's history.

. . .

Got it.

> Stamp extracts the date/time your photos were originally shot from EXIF
> metadata, then adds a timestamp to the beginning of each filename. After
> running Stamp, you can sort your photos and videos by filename to view
> them in true chronological order - even if they come from different cameras.
>
> Features and Benefits
>
> Works with all digital cameras
> Works with photos and audio/video files
> Downloads files directly from many cameras
> Batch processes folder trees automatically
> Fast and safe - never modifies file contents
> Configurable options, filters, and filename formats
>
> http://www.klingebiel.com/tempest/products.html
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 10:19:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 14:06:29 -0400, ASAAR <caught@22.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 08:16:41 -0700, Bill Funk wrote:
>
>> something like AutoIt (http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/) to write
>> a script to rename each photo using the timestamp in the EXIF data to
>> order the photos.
>> Anyone know of a better way?

I have since been told that IrfanView will batch rename based on the
timestamp, which would be much easier than writing a script.
Looks like there are several ways to do this.
>
> I came across a free program named "Stamp" several days ago that
>claims to rename picture files based on the EXIF date/time
>information. I didn't download it though, as I was looking for
>another feature. I don't know what the URL is, but it may still
>exist in my browser's history.
>
> . . .
>
>Got it.
>
>> Stamp extracts the date/time your photos were originally shot from EXIF
>> metadata, then adds a timestamp to the beginning of each filename. After
>> running Stamp, you can sort your photos and videos by filename to view
>> them in true chronological order - even if they come from different cameras.
>>
>> Features and Benefits
>>
>> Works with all digital cameras
>> Works with photos and audio/video files
>> Downloads files directly from many cameras
>> Batch processes folder trees automatically
>> Fast and safe - never modifies file contents
>> Configurable options, filters, and filename formats
>>
>> http://www.klingebiel.com/tempest/products.html

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
funktionality.blogspot.com
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 5:04:58 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 06:19:16 -0700, Bill Funk wrote:

>>> something like AutoIt (http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/) to write
>>> a script to rename each photo using the timestamp in the EXIF data to
>>> order the photos.
>>> Anyone know of a better way?
>
> I have since been told that IrfanView will batch rename based on the
> timestamp, which would be much easier than writing a script.
> Looks like there are several ways to do this.

I don't see any indication in IrfanView (v3.97) that it can do
what the OP wanted, which is to order files by the date/time the
pictures were taken any easier than by manually renaming them. It
doesn't get any information from EXIF data, so you have to do that
on your own. You'd then have to select each individual file (using
their original filenames) and move them up or down to the new sort
order position, an almost impossible task to do without making any
positioning mistakes, since the names haven't changed yet, and you'd
have to manually write a table of old vs. new filenames to be able
to know which position to place each filename in. And after
sorting, the original filenames are lost, vs. STAMP, which not only
inserts the new filename characters before the original filenames,
but appears to use date & time characters to form the new filenames
instead of sequential numbers, so afterwards you can see the file's
time and date without having to open the file to look in its EXIF
data.
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 12:04:25 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 13:04:58 -0400, ASAAR <caught@22.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 06:19:16 -0700, Bill Funk wrote:
>
>>>> something like AutoIt (http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/) to write
>>>> a script to rename each photo using the timestamp in the EXIF data to
>>>> order the photos.
>>>> Anyone know of a better way?
>>
>> I have since been told that IrfanView will batch rename based on the
>> timestamp, which would be much easier than writing a script.
>> Looks like there are several ways to do this.
>
> I don't see any indication in IrfanView (v3.97) that it can do
>what the OP wanted, which is to order files by the date/time the
>pictures were taken any easier than by manually renaming them. It
>doesn't get any information from EXIF data, so you have to do that
>on your own. You'd then have to select each individual file (using
>their original filenames) and move them up or down to the new sort
>order position, an almost impossible task to do without making any
>positioning mistakes, since the names haven't changed yet, and you'd
>have to manually write a table of old vs. new filenames to be able
>to know which position to place each filename in. And after
>sorting, the original filenames are lost, vs. STAMP, which not only
>inserts the new filename characters before the original filenames,
>but appears to use date & time characters to form the new filenames
>instead of sequential numbers, so afterwards you can see the file's
>time and date without having to open the file to look in its EXIF
>data.

If you go into Batch Rename, select and add the files to rename, and
Sort by date (ascending or descending), then rename, you'll get a
rename by timestamp, regardless of the files' original names.
No?

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
funktionality.blogspot.com
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 4:58:56 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Timestamp will only work if you REMEMBER to reset it each time you
change the batteries. 3/4 of all my card folders taken on the C700 all
start with the same date/time.
JAB

Mike wrote:
> <arouth@radiology.umsmed.edu> a écrit dans le message de news:
> 1122129945.893966.67790@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
>
>>Greetings! I shall be doing some travel in future. I have two cameras -
>>One Kodak Dx6490 with ten X zoom - (38 to 380 mm)and another Canon A510
>>with 4x zoom (35 to 140 mm) 35 mm camera lens equivalent. How do I
>>join the pictures taken with these two different camers so that
>>pictures can be seen chronologically? With thanks.
>>
>
>
> Set precisely the 2 camera clocks, then
> in your viewing software, set the display order by EXIF timestamp.
>
> BreezeBrowser can do that, others too I presume.
>
> --
> Mike
>
>
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 6:03:00 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 08:04:25 -0700, Bill Funk wrote:

> If you go into Batch Rename, select and add the files to rename, and
> Sort by date (ascending or descending), then rename, you'll get a
> rename by timestamp, regardless of the files' original names.
> No?

Yes, that works to solve the OP's asked question about how to view
the pictures in chronological order. But when using IrfanView you
have to take more care to make sure that all of the original file
information is preserved if you don't work with copies of the
original files. IrfanView can embed the original filename in the
new one, but this must be explicitly done and is easily overlooked.

The original filename can show more easily which camera took any
of the pictures if (as in this case) one camera was the Kodak Dx6490
and the other was the Canon A510. At least with some of their
cameras Canon uses IMG, Fuji uses DSCF, Kodak uses neither (just a
folder number), Nikon uses DSC, there's an odd numeric format used
by Panasonic, and Olympus's filename format resembles Panasonic's
but appears to be some sort of MMDDYY encoding.

The original filename can also show which pictures were not
included or may have been deleted in the camera. And finally, if
IrfanView is used to simultaneously batch rename and batch convert,
the output files will have the computer's system date/time, losing
their original time/date when they were created. They then won't be
able to be properly date sorted or merged with other files.

All this aside however, I suspect that you, I, and the OP would
probably sort the files using IrfanView . . . :) 
Anonymous
July 25, 2005 6:03:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:03:00 -0400, ASAAR <caught@22.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 08:04:25 -0700, Bill Funk wrote:
>
>> If you go into Batch Rename, select and add the files to rename, and
>> Sort by date (ascending or descending), then rename, you'll get a
>> rename by timestamp, regardless of the files' original names.
>> No?
>
> Yes, that works to solve the OP's asked question about how to view
>the pictures in chronological order. But when using IrfanView you
>have to take more care to make sure that all of the original file
>information is preserved if you don't work with copies of the
>original files. IrfanView can embed the original filename in the
>new one, but this must be explicitly done and is easily overlooked.

I made a mistake: I forgot the basic advice to store the originals,
and only work with copies. :-)
>
> The original filename can show more easily which camera took any
>of the pictures if (as in this case) one camera was the Kodak Dx6490
>and the other was the Canon A510. At least with some of their
>cameras Canon uses IMG, Fuji uses DSCF, Kodak uses neither (just a
>folder number), Nikon uses DSC, there's an odd numeric format used
>by Panasonic, and Olympus's filename format resembles Panasonic's
>but appears to be some sort of MMDDYY encoding.

The above solves that problem.
>
> The original filename can also show which pictures were not
>included or may have been deleted in the camera. And finally, if
>IrfanView is used to simultaneously batch rename and batch convert,
>the output files will have the computer's system date/time, losing
>their original time/date when they were created. They then won't be
>able to be properly date sorted or merged with other files.
>
> All this aside however, I suspect that you, I, and the OP would
>probably sort the files using IrfanView . . . :) 

I think it will work for the OP's purposes, too.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"
funktionality.blogspot.com
!