A10-5800k vs i3-3225

navluap

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
I was just wondering what the pros and cons are of each and which would you recommend (NO GPU). The main purposes are for entry level gaming, Web surfing/MSWord/Daily tasks.

Solution
By 'no GPU' , if you meant your relying on the integrated graphics power of the chips, then the A10 wins massively hands down - there's not even a competition. Plus there's the advantage of an unlocked multiplier, in case you plan to OC later to increase performance.

On the other hand, if you meant that you're gonna buy a discrete GPU, then the i3 makes much more sense, especially with its low power draw.

As far as socket life is concerned, the AMD FM2 will be supported for another generation; the Intel LGA 1155 socket is soon reaching its end, but you could always upgrade to a powerful 2nd hand i5 or i7 for cheap later down the road :)

All the best with your decision:)
The 2 are pretty equal on performance and it goes either way depending on the benchmark.

the i3 is lower power consumption generally. Not really significant unless you are running cpu intense things all day long.

the A10 is much much more powerful for gaming when you don't use a graphics card. The A10 can also be overclocked if you choose to do so.

jdwii

Splendid

Since you said entry level gaming i would go with a A10

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
By 'no GPU' , if you meant your relying on the integrated graphics power of the chips, then the A10 wins massively hands down - there's not even a competition. Plus there's the advantage of an unlocked multiplier, in case you plan to OC later to increase performance.

On the other hand, if you meant that you're gonna buy a discrete GPU, then the i3 makes much more sense, especially with its low power draw.

As far as socket life is concerned, the AMD FM2 will be supported for another generation; the Intel LGA 1155 socket is soon reaching its end, but you could always upgrade to a powerful 2nd hand i5 or i7 for cheap later down the road :)

All the best with your decision:)

Solution

tonync_01

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

With no GPU? Again, the A10 would be a better choice for the uses you describe. The i5 has better performance, but it won't show in the tasks you describe. The A10 has much better graphics, so you can do so moderate gaming with it. These processors aren't in close to the same price range though, the A10 is like $125 and the 3570k is about $230.

navluap

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012

If I were to put a 6670 DDR3 on the i5 would it be better?

if you only put it with the i5 then slightly. If you put a 6670 in both, the APU's crossfire would make it better.

The apu by it self overclocks to the performance of the 6670.

tonync_01

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

Better for gaming? It should be about the same for most games, it will take a much more high-end GPU for you to notice a difference between the two processors. Also the A10 hybrid-crossfires with the 6670 so it would improve the graphics of the system, even though I've heard the scaling isn't that good.

tonync_01

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

I don't think this is correct. The A10 and i3 are comparable chips, with each being better at some tasks. I haven't seen benchmarks on this but my guess would be that an A10 and i3 both with a HD 7770 would perform about the same.

InvalidError

Titan

Since the primary purpose is low-end "NO GPU" gaming, the A10 is a no-contest with 2-3X the 3D performance as Intel's HD4000 in nearly every game in existence.

I'd say the A10 is the first truly usable gaming IGP ever.

Potato13

Honorable
May 30, 2012
I just read a trinity review. The i3 and A10 are on par with each other pretty much everywhere except single threaded workloads. Single threaded workloads are very important in gaming. When going with a cheap cpu and and a strong gpu, you are much better off using the i3. Again, if your going to use the integrated gpu, then obviously go for the A10. If you use a dedicated card that has the performance of a 7770 and up, then get the i3.

jacobsta811

Honorable
May 26, 2012
For pure gaming performance, the A10 is probably better even if you get a discrete GPU (remember, you can overclock it where you can't with the i3).
The advantages of the i3 are really upgradeability (which is huge - you can get an i7-3770k in your 1155 - where the A10 is top of the line for socket FM2). Re power draw at load the i3 wins by quite a bit, but if I remember right trinity really has quite good idle power specs, and your computer spends a huge portion of the time at idle - the A10 probably costs pretty close to the same in power over a year in normal usage, and probably a little less than an i3 + a discrete graphics card of the same power as the A10.

tonync_01

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

It all depends on your budget (What is your budget?), there would likely be little difference between the two in most games up to about a HD 7770 GPU. If you or going to get a high-end GPU it would be better to go with the i5 or get one of the new piledriver FX processors that come out in a couple weeks. But a build with a high-end GPU is for a different budget than the one with a A10.

InvalidError

Titan

You were originally asking for a GPU-less gaming setup.

If you look at IGP/APU gaming benchmarks, you quickly see that Intel's HD4000 gets destroyed by AMD's A10/76xxD APUs.

Getting the most powerful gaming CPU is pointless if you pair it with a grossly underwhelming IGP. Intel's HD4000 is a poor match for the i3/i5/i7 beyond 3D desktop and business applications. The CPU-IGP balance is much better on the A10 which has much faster IGP that delivers actually playable frame rates at resolutions and details that people might actually enjoy playing at.