Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Gaming CPU build for my Son

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 10, 2012 11:51:42 PM

Hello,

My son just graduated high school and is wanting me to build him a new tower for his gaming and college use. He primarily plays Minecraft, BF3, D3, and the like. He does some Video editing with Sony Vegas but his primary use would be for gaming.
He has a budget of $900.00 to get the best bang for the buck. We have the OS to install and periphrials so there is no need for figure them into the budget. He will also be using a 43" LCD on 1080P for his monitor.
The following is a list of components I have put together but I would really appreciate any suggestions and changes if there is considerable cost savings options or performance options.

Thanks:

Coolermaster HAF 912 Mid Tower Case

Intel i5-2500K processor

ASUS P8Z77-M PRO Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB (4x4GB) 240 pin DDR3 1600 RAM

Thermaltake TRX-650M 650W Power supply

EVGA Superclocked GFORCE GTX 550 Ti Video Card

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 rpm 64MB cache Sata Drive

Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner

Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler



Again, thanks in advance for any suggestions.

RB

More about : gaming cpu build son

a b 4 Gaming
June 10, 2012 11:54:24 PM

1 suggestion, if you paste a one-line description of each item next to teh link then people will be more apt to comment.
m
0
l
June 11, 2012 12:04:39 AM

tsnor said:
1 suggestion, if you paste a one-line description of each item next to teh link then people will be more apt to comment.



Thanks for the suggestion. First time poster. I removed the links and included descriptions instead. :) 
m
0
l
Related resources
June 11, 2012 12:05:57 AM

Get rid of the liquid cooler and add it to the GPU. The 550 really is kinda terrible if you are spending that kinda money. Thatll save you $100 without the cooler and you can add it to the vid card budget.
m
0
l
June 11, 2012 12:06:09 AM

Get either an Antec, XFX, Seasonic, Enermax, or Corsair (non CX series) power supply. None of that Thermaltake garbage.
m
0
l
June 11, 2012 12:07:55 AM

I'd get 8gb of ram instead of 16gb, especially if it's mainly a gaming rig.

I would probably get a better brand of PSU.

And definitely upgrade that GPU. 550ti is pretty weak.

Also the watercooler might be overkill, if he's going to overclock, just get a decent air cooler, hyper 212 evo is probably one of the best bang for you buck coolers.
m
0
l
June 11, 2012 12:10:39 AM

If you get a big heatsink for the CPU, ditch the RAM with heatspreaders. On a Micro-ATX board, the RAM heatspreaders will get in the way of the CPU sink.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 11, 2012 12:24:07 AM
June 11, 2012 12:25:56 AM

Vettedude said:
If you get a big heatsink for the CPU, ditch the RAM with heatspreaders. On a Micro-ATX board, the RAM heatspreaders will get in the way of the CPU sink.


Made a few changes to the line up after viewing some of the suggestions.

1. Got rid of the gawdy ram sticks for some lower profile and better rated samsung sticks.
2. Replacing the water cooler with 212 Evo.

What would be some suggestions for video card replacements?
Is a 650w power supply overkill for this build?
m
0
l
June 11, 2012 12:27:25 AM

Its a little high, but its fine. As long as its from one of the brands I listed.

Look into an HD 7850 if you can fit it in the budget. I'm too lazy to do math right now.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 11, 2012 12:29:06 AM

Save the money on the Cooler there is no reson to OC the CPU untell it wont do what you need it to.
m
0
l
June 11, 2012 12:45:41 AM
June 11, 2012 3:57:54 AM

Thanks for all the great replies and suggestions. Here is what I'm pretty settled in to and we will see how it works.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (11200-00-20G)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model MV-3V4G3D/US

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner

Grand total of 917.24 + S&H - 25.00 MIR

Can't wait to get it all installed and fired up!!!


m
0
l
June 11, 2012 4:12:24 AM

Can drop the EVO if you arent OCing the stock cooler is just fine.
m
0
l
June 11, 2012 4:25:08 AM

rblenden said:
Thanks for all the great replies and suggestions. Here is what I'm pretty settled in to and we will see how it works.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (11200-00-20G)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model MV-3V4G3D/US

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner

Grand total of 917.24 + S&H - 25.00 MIR

Can't wait to get it all installed and fired up!!!


Looks good.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 11, 2012 4:25:27 AM

rblenden said:
Hello,

My son just graduated high school and is wanting me to build him a new tower for his gaming and college use. He primarily plays Minecraft, BF3, D3, and the like. He does some Video editing with Sony Vegas but his primary use would be for gaming.
He has a budget of $900.00 to get the best bang for the buck. We have the OS to install and periphrials so there is no need for figure them into the budget. He will also be using a 43" LCD on 1080P for his monitor.
The following is a list of components I have put together but I would really appreciate any suggestions and changes if there is considerable cost savings options or performance options.

Thanks:

Coolermaster HAF 912 Mid Tower Case

Intel i5-2500K processor

ASUS P8Z77-M PRO Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB (4x4GB) 240 pin DDR3 1600 RAM

Thermaltake TRX-650M 650W Power supply

EVGA Superclocked GFORCE GTX 550 Ti Video Card

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 rpm 64MB cache Sata Drive

Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner

Corsair H100 Liquid Cooler



Again, thanks in advance for any suggestions.

RB

That build lacks balance.


http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $339.98 save: $10.00 FREE SHIPPING
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
ASRock Z77 Pro4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Pro4/ <----- another look at that board along with a link to the latest bios

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005O65JXI/ref=ox_sc_a... $34.62 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $54.99 - $34.99 after mail-in rebate card FREE SHIPPING
LEPA B550-SA 550W SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Intern... $89.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeForce-Mini-HDMI-Graphi... $229.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1 GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 DVI-I x 2 / Mini-HDMI SLI Ready Graphics Card, GV-N560OC-1GI

or...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004L01QVM/ref=pd_lpo_... $229.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB Graphics Card (1024 MB, GDDR5, PCI-E 2.0 16x, DVI-I x 2, Mini-HDMI, SLI-Capable)

or...

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graph... $249.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2 GB DDR5 HDMI/DVI-I/Dual Mini DP PCI-Express Graphics Card 11200-00-20G

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Tower-Case-RC-912-K... $59.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.
Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case (RC-912-KKN1)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $89.99 FREE SHIPPING
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 993995
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 11, 2012 6:21:24 AM

Why_Me said:
That build lacks balance.


http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $339.98 save: $10.00 FREE SHIPPING
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K
ASRock Z77 Pro4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Pro4/ <----- another look at that board along with a link to the latest bios

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005O65JXI/ref=ox_sc_a... $34.62 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $54.99 - $34.99 after mail-in rebate card FREE SHIPPING
LEPA B550-SA 550W SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Intern... $89.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Seagate Barracuda 7200 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive ST1000DM003

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeForce-Mini-HDMI-Graphi... $229.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1 GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 DVI-I x 2 / Mini-HDMI SLI Ready Graphics Card, GV-N560OC-1GI

or...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004L01QVM/ref=pd_lpo_... $229.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB Graphics Card (1024 MB, GDDR5, PCI-E 2.0 16x, DVI-I x 2, Mini-HDMI, SLI-Capable)

or...

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graph... $249.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2 GB DDR5 HDMI/DVI-I/Dual Mini DP PCI-Express Graphics Card 11200-00-20G

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Tower-Case-RC-912-K... $59.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.
Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case (RC-912-KKN1)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $89.99 FREE SHIPPING
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 993995



^^^ Quad Channal ram on a Z77 MOBO ? The ram would still work as Dule channal right ?
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 11, 2012 6:35:25 AM

rblenden said:
Thanks for all the great replies and suggestions. Here is what I'm pretty settled in to and we will see how it works.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7850 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (11200-00-20G)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model MV-3V4G3D/US

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Sony Optiarc 24X DVD Burner

Grand total of 917.24 + S&H - 25.00 MIR

Can't wait to get it all installed and fired up!!!
This is a good build i am sure your son will be very pleased ;) 
m
0
l
June 11, 2012 6:43:30 AM

Look into an HD 7850 if you can fit it in the budget. I'm too lazy to do math right now.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 11, 2012 6:55:57 AM

Niklas_13 said:
^^^ Quad Channal ram on a Z77 MOBO ? The ram would still work as Dule channal right ?

Their just about all quad channel these days...the 16GB sets that is. The reason being it kills two birds with one stone for the RAM manufactures. It works as quad channel in the socket LGA 2011 builds, and as dual channel in the socket 1155 builds. The only 16GB sets you see these days of dual channel RAM are ones that haven't been sold out yet.
m
0
l
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
June 11, 2012 7:04:59 AM

dual channel RAM; 2 sticks of matched RAM
quad channel RAM; 2 stick of matched RAM + 2 sticks of RAM that match the other 2 sticks. . . . no difference.
m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 11, 2012 8:25:37 AM

Why_Me said:
Their just about all quad channel these days...the 16GB sets that is. The reason being it kills two birds with one stone for the RAM manufactures. It works as quad channel in the socket LGA 2011 builds, and as dual channel in the socket 1155 builds. The only 16GB sets you see these days of dual channel RAM are ones that haven't been sold out yet.



Nods Thanks for the info !
m
0
l
June 11, 2012 11:36:15 PM

One last question....

I see that I would be able to purchase the Sandy bridge i5-2500k processor and Z68 extreme3 mobo for the exact same package price as the ivy bridge i5-3570K and Z77 extreme4 mobo.

Honestly I am not going to jump head first into over clocking but I would like the best options for speeding up the machine down the road if needed.

Is there a better choice of the two combos? Also would there be any issues with the Ram I have chosen in either setup? (SAMSUNG 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model MV-3V4G3D/US)

I chose this ram for its flexibility and ratings on this site as well as its low profile since I will be putting installing the EVO 212 cooler.

Thanks for the help... :love: 
m
0
l

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
June 11, 2012 11:45:24 PM

The i5 3570K and the newer Z77 chipset mobo would be the way i would go, the i5 2500K seem to OC better ( stay cooler )
but you could still OC the i5 3570K to 4.2 easy

RAM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... will do just fine and not get in the way of the COOLER
Share
June 12, 2012 2:21:39 AM

Best answer selected by rblenden.
m
0
l
June 25, 2012 9:39:41 PM

I just wanted to say thank you for all the replies and help with this build. It could not have gone better imo. My son loves it!! He is currently able to crank out average fps in the 60's while playing BF3. I havent tried to OC anything yet and unless he starts running into issues I probably won't for some time.

Final parts list:
CM HAF 912 case
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4
Intel i5-3750
CM Evo 212
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 PC1600 (2x4GB)
Seagate Baraccuda 1TB Sata 3 HD
]LG 24x DVD Burner
Lepa 550w 80 plus Bronze power supply
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
CM 200mm x2 red led fans
Aerocool Shark 120mm x1 red led fan
Lodgisys 12' red ccfl kit x2

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn213/rblenden/

m
0
l
a b 4 Gaming
June 25, 2012 10:02:21 PM

Long as the kids are happy :)  dont worry about OCing, in a few years when newer games need more power, than OC the CPU and GPU and get a few more years out of it.

Just enjoy it :) 

You did a nice job with the cables also GJ
m
0
l
!