Suse & Windows XP Network

joe_tlj

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2003
Hello all,

Here's my situation: I have three network connections on my personal computer which dual boots with SuSE 9.3 (linux-pc) and Windows XP Home (joe-pc). These are the connections:

1 home pna 1.0 NIC.
^ also has ethernet jack < not connected
2 home pna 2.0 NIC.
3 intergrate ethernet < not connected

Then I have another PC which I put toghether for the rest of my family (family-pc) with Windows XP Home and the following connections:

1 home pna 1.0 NIC. < not connected
^ also has ethernet jack < not connected
2 home pna 2.0 NIC.

I put the unconnected pna 1.0 NIC into this PC for a couple times when a few freinds came over to have a lan party. It didn't have a ethernet connection otherwise.

The home pna 1.0 cards are the same, and the pna 2.0 cards are the same. Home pna 2.0 is a propiety standard owned by broadcom, but home pna 1.0 is an open standard with linux support. Also, pna 2.0 cards are backward compatable with slower pna 1.0 cards.

I have family-pc set as host with ics. It's ip address is 192.168.0.1. joe-pc's ip address is 192.168.0.x. joe-pc is setup to ask for an ip address so x is 2-255. linux-pc is sadly not even able to ping family-pc.

Also, last time I tried to network linux-pc with family-pc (using Xandros) family-pc changed it's ip to 127.0.0.1.

I don't know what to do. I don't mind starting from scratch and changing everything. I'd like family-pc to share internet with at least joe-pc, and hopefully linux-pc as well. But the main issue is getting linux-pc and family-pc talking. If you can give me some recomendations on what to do for DNS, DHCP, WINS, and my IP address that would be a big help.

Kill the free variable! Death to X5! There is only the trivial solution. We will be independent!

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
is linux-pc successfully pulling an IP address from family-pc? Do an ifconfig eth0 to see.

<pre> \|/
jlanka (. .)
___________oOOo_(_(_)_)_oOOo___________
</pre><p>