XP Start Menu Headache

Salsa86

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
The "Search" link on my start menu doesn't work. Clicking on it yields absolutely no response.
Things I've tried to fix it:

1. I've gone into the "start menu customize properties (right click on start-properties-start menu-customize-advanced-" and removed it, rebooted... then readded the link. didn't work

2. removed it from all profiles... rebooted.. readded... doesn't work

3. logged in as administrator removed, rebooted, readded.. didn't work

4. ran norton win doctor, didn't fix it

5. removed powertoys (it has features that can modify the start menu), didn't work

6. verified I have the latest windows XP updates

notes: the "Search" link works when I'm exploring the "C" drive
notes: the "Windows Update" link doesn't either.. like my "Search" link it yields no response when its clicked on

Please Help.. what else can I do?

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
What's you processor speed? On older system WinXP would take longer to open windows, so I have a feeling you have a slow system.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
What's you processor speed? On older system WinXP would take longer to open windows, so I have a feeling you have a slow system.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

Salsa86

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
Actually the system thats having this problem is an AMD 1600+ system with an MSI motherboard, 512 mb DDR micron memory, on an MSI Kt266a board, the video card is a Geforce 3.

G

I have a feeling that powertoys is the culprit. I once had loss of search function and someone told me about a box in Tweak UI (aka powertoys) that I had checked. The problem is if you just remove the program it doesn't undo the changes on your system, you have to do that through the program. The only thing that doesn't fit this theory is my search didn't work at all, yours works for the C Drive.... Oh well, just my two cents.

TRENDING THREADS