Sony Mavicas

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 23, 2005 9:18:46 PM

Who still uses these floppy disk based monsters anymore? I dont see them
being sold in many stores anymore (even the CD versions). However I still
see them selling online. I bet schools have a high use for them, and those
working in architecture,etc. When I worked at OfficeMax I had a few customers
that swore by their floppy cameras. One customer in particular ran an
architecure business and told me that he would never buy anything except the
floppy camera. He told me that for taking shots on the job, it was often
easier to hand his employees a disk, rather than lending each employee in
his company the camera to download the images. This was about 4 years ago,
and I have no idea if he still uses the Mavica, but maybe so. But I can see
from his perspective, the floppy cameras may have been the better choice.

So does anyone here still use a Mavica or do you know of anyone that does?

John

--
Posted with a Jornada 720
Posted with Ink Spot (for Windows CE) from DejaVu Software, Inc.

More about : sony mavicas

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 9:18:47 PM

"John Wolf" <johnw_94020@yahoo.comPDA> wrote in message
> Who still uses these floppy disk based monsters anymore? I dont see them
> being sold in many stores anymore (even the CD versions). However I still
> see them selling online. I bet schools have a high use for them, and
> those
> working in architecture,etc. When I worked at OfficeMax I had a few
> customers
> that swore by their floppy cameras. One customer in particular ran an
> architecure business and told me that he would never buy anything except
> the
> floppy camera. He told me that for taking shots on the job, it was often
> easier to hand his employees a disk, rather than lending each employee in
> his company the camera to download the images. This was about 4 years
> ago,
> and I have no idea if he still uses the Mavica, but maybe so. But I can
> see
> from his perspective, the floppy cameras may have been the better choice.
>
> So does anyone here still use a Mavica or do you know of anyone that does?

Yes, my brother who just needs it for e-bay images. Other than that, they're
pretty useless unless you only want low-res images to e-mail.

They're slow, too.

TAFKAB wrote:
> "John Wolf" <johnw_94020@yahoo.comPDA> wrote in message
> > Who still uses these floppy disk based monsters anymore? I dont see them
> > being sold in many stores anymore (even the CD versions). However I still
> > see them selling online. I bet schools have a high use for them, and
> > those
> > working in architecture,etc. When I worked at OfficeMax I had a few
> > customers
> > that swore by their floppy cameras. One customer in particular ran an
> > architecure business and told me that he would never buy anything except
> > the
> > floppy camera. He told me that for taking shots on the job, it was often
> > easier to hand his employees a disk, rather than lending each employee in
> > his company the camera to download the images. This was about 4 years
> > ago,
> > and I have no idea if he still uses the Mavica, but maybe so. But I can
> > see
> > from his perspective, the floppy cameras may have been the better choice.
> >
> > So does anyone here still use a Mavica or do you know of anyone that does?
>
> Yes, my brother who just needs it for e-bay images. Other than that, they're
> pretty useless unless you only want low-res images to e-mail.
>
> They're slow, too.

Ebay has plenty, but most of them seem to be going for about what a
Nikon Coolpix 990 fetches, or right close. Given a choice, I'd take a
990 about 11 times out of 10. The Mavica was the first digital camera I
used, a whole bunch of years ago. It wasn't bad for what it was then,
but there's a lot better out there now for less money, new, than
Mavicas cost used.
Related resources
July 23, 2005 10:54:14 PM

John Wolf wrote:
> Who still uses these floppy disk based monsters anymore? I dont see them
> being sold in many stores anymore (even the CD versions). However I still
> see them selling online. I bet schools have a high use for them, and those
> working in architecture,etc. When I worked at OfficeMax I had a few customers
> that swore by their floppy cameras. One customer in particular ran an
> architecure business and told me that he would never buy anything except the
> floppy camera. He told me that for taking shots on the job, it was often
> easier to hand his employees a disk, rather than lending each employee in
> his company the camera to download the images. This was about 4 years ago,
> and I have no idea if he still uses the Mavica, but maybe so. But I can see
> from his perspective, the floppy cameras may have been the better choice.
>
> So does anyone here still use a Mavica or do you know of anyone that does?
>

> John

I had one, eventually it was used as a wheel chock. Single use only.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

> So does anyone here still use a Mavica or do you know of anyone that does?

I still see police departments using them, to take evidence shots and the
like. Not crime scene photos, obviously that requires greater resolution.
I loved my first 2 Mavicas back in the day, but now I wouldn't bother to
pick one up if I saw it laying on the ground.

ef
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 8:50:04 PM

"TAFKAB" <who@knows.who.cares> wrote in message
news:o sidncLVsdl7O3_fRVn-pA@comcast.com...

> "John Wolf" <johnw_94020@yahoo.comPDA> wrote in message
>> Who still uses these floppy disk based monsters anymore? I dont see them
>> being sold in many stores anymore (even the CD versions). However I
>> still
>> see them selling online. I bet schools have a high use for them, and
>> those
>> working in architecture,etc. When I worked at OfficeMax I had a few
>> customers
>> that swore by their floppy cameras. One customer in particular ran an
>> architecure business and told me that he would never buy anything except
>> the
>> floppy camera. He told me that for taking shots on the job, it was often
>> easier to hand his employees a disk, rather than lending each employee in
>> his company the camera to download the images. This was about 4 years
>> ago,
>> and I have no idea if he still uses the Mavica, but maybe so. But I can
>> see
>> from his perspective, the floppy cameras may have been the better choice.
>>
>> So does anyone here still use a Mavica or do you know of anyone that
>> does?
>
> Yes, my brother who just needs it for e-bay images. Other than that,
> they're pretty useless unless you only want low-res images to e-mail.
>
> They're slow, too.

They are very slow, but I had one and loved it. Nice, clear photos with
good color, and easy to transfer the images to computer. Also, the auto
white balance seemed to be able to cope with any lighting situation, and the
macro mode was great. Eventually, however, the floppy drive in the camera
gave up. I have a D70 now, but picked up a small Pentax Optio to replace
the Sony.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 6:00:53 PM

John Wolf wrote:
> Who still uses these floppy disk based monsters anymore? I dont see them
> being sold in many stores anymore (even the CD versions). However I still
> see them selling online. I bet schools have a high use for them, and those
> working in architecture,etc.

Insurance adjusters/appraisers still use them I think. And I know
insurance "inspectors" (in my state, a non-new car must be inspected by
such an agent before an insurance policy is written, in order to assess
existing condition, damage, etc) use them as well. It makes their job
easy, as many insurance companies are "sort-of digital" in that they'll
take digital photographs but most of the paperwork is still submitted
via, well, paper.

So, a person who needs to assess/inspect/appraise something will pop a
floppy disk (which are rather cheap nowadays) into the mavica, take the
shots they need, then pull the disk out and stuff it into the dossier
with all the other paperwork.

The obvious drawback is that you can't get too high a resolution on a
floppy drive camera because a single image can't be more than 1.44MB in
size (and ideally you'd want to at least fit 2 or 3 images on that
disk). Write times are also going to be abysmally slow: a 1MB file can
easily take a minute or two to read and write on FD, while on even the
slowest solid-state media, the same I/O would take seconds.

> When I worked at OfficeMax I had a few customers
> that swore by their floppy cameras. One customer in particular ran an
> architecure business and told me that he would never buy anything except the
> floppy camera. He told me that for taking shots on the job, it was often
> easier to hand his employees a disk, rather than lending each employee in
> his company the camera to download the images. This was about 4 years ago,
> and I have no idea if he still uses the Mavica, but maybe so. But I can see
> from his perspective, the floppy cameras may have been the better choice.

It's probably viewed as such a convenience because people are still used
to having floppy drives come preinstalled on computers. Though lately
this has been happening a lot less. Dell still seems to be the
stalwart, including floppy drives on their business-oriented desktop
models (my 1-month old work computer has this), but my also-recently
purchased IBM Thinkpad doesn't. And I would've included a floppy drive
in my home-brew rig, but I balked at the price: $20 for something I
might never use, when for the same price I can get an 8-in-1 card reader.

I guess those who still use Mavicas would probably be more inclined to
upgrade if PC makers started replacing floppy drives with 8-in-1's or
10-in-1's or 50-in-1's, depending on how granular the card-reader maker
wants to be in their description. :)  Now that I have card readers at
work and home, using SD cards is just as convenient and carries a hell
of a lot more.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.