Sign in with
Your question
Solved

7870 cf or not - need advice

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 14, 2012 1:46:10 AM

I just went to go buy a Sapphire 7870 OC at a local store and they had a weird price of 269.99 in the system and the sales guy called the manager over and they believed it was an error so they they let me buy one and pulled the stock.

While the dude was ringing it up I thought i should try for a 2nd and at first they wouldn't go for it but they came around and sold it to me... i figure it can't hurt, i can sell it or return it if i decide to only go with the one card.

So is 7870 cf a good idea? I never thought that far ahead... They will go in a i5-2500k, 8gb ram, pcie 3 board setup and i would like to go 3 23" or 24" monitors here shortly. Will I bottleneck anything? Is it worth it with only 2gb per card.

Any help is appreciated.

More about : 7870 advice

a c 179 U Graphics card
April 14, 2012 2:00:56 AM

Do you have a PSU that can support your CF and have the propper wattage? If you do then just try it and just see if you will like it or not. There is no problem with the CF'ing it except your PSU.
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2012 2:03:58 AM

Hell yeah man. Go for it.

Actually. Just crossfire it. Ebay sucks.
Related resources
April 14, 2012 2:09:58 AM

i should have put that in my post, sorry... i do have a good psu antec 850w so i'm covered there. I was going to another store tomorrow to buy the processor / board / ram and using my current psu and drives..

i started thinking though with the extra card now, should i look more towards an i7 but if the i5 can push the cf to full then that's great. I'll probably try as you suggest, but i only have the one monitor right now and plan to buy the other two a month or 2 from now.
April 14, 2012 2:15:13 AM

gary1 said:
Hell yeah man. Go for it.

Actually. Just crossfire it. Ebay sucks.

ya, i hate ebay.

i like the specs on your comp there.. how do you like your sapphire 7870?
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2012 2:16:34 AM

PickledGopher said:
ya, i hate ebay.

i like the specs on your comp there.. how do you like your sapphire 7870?

I like it a lot. It is a really strong card, beats out the 580 sometimes.

Best solution

a c 179 U Graphics card
April 14, 2012 2:22:19 AM

PickledGopher said:
i should have put that in my post, sorry... i do have a good psu antec 850w so i'm covered there. I was going to another store tomorrow to buy the processor / board / ram and using my current psu and drives..

i started thinking though with the extra card now, should i look more towards an i7 but if the i5 can push the cf to full then that's great. I'll probably try as you suggest, but i only have the one monitor right now and plan to buy the other two a month or 2 from now.

The i5 2500k will be able to handle it just fine even with more than one monitor. The i7 is way over kill and you will only use about 40% of at any given time. The i7 is more for doing hyper threading. But it to will handle the two cards.

If you do sell your card you can get the going price for it and make a little profit that is if you want to.
April 14, 2012 3:18:52 AM

Best answer selected by PickledGopher.
!