Sign in with
Your question

Explosion

Last response: in Components
October 10, 2012 9:23:26 AM

Hi All

Last night my computer made an explosion clap, almost like when a PSU blows. It had a blue flash but strangely enough no smoke.

So my UPS kicked in and everything went off. This morning i turned on the UPS and the Comptuer and everything turned on perfectly. I did full diagnostic on all the components and even benched the pc to see if there was damage, but its fast and stable.

My Question:

I have a Corsair ATX 1200GOLD PSU, could it have blown only one capacitor or something and still manage to come on?
I heard an engineer tell me it could have begin a cockroach the crawled in a shorted on the PSU or Motherboard and hence the explosion?

But i cant understand how this computer is still able to turn on? Should the Corsair have seized or something?

Thank you

More about : explosion

October 10, 2012 10:05:43 AM

it could have easily been a capacitor. They are designed to "store" energy. Shorted out, it would release all that energy as fast as it could (thats what they are designed to do when asked for a burst of engergy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdKcpFTG-VI

Once permanently shorted tho, it just acts as a connecting wire, no more storage. your 1200W power supply now probably can only provide 500 W (just a rough guess)
October 10, 2012 10:48:50 AM

Hi noob2222, is there a way i can see if the PSU is running at 550W instead of 1200?
Related resources
October 10, 2012 2:59:44 PM

noob2222 said:
it could have easily been a capacitor. They are designed to "store" energy. Shorted out, it would release all that energy as fast as it could (thats what they are designed to do when asked for a burst of engergy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdKcpFTG-VI

Once permanently shorted tho, it just acts as a connecting wire, no more storage. your 1200W power supply now probably can only provide 500 W (just a rough guess)

Hi noob2222, is there a way i can see if the PSU is running at 550W instead of 1200?
October 10, 2012 6:52:02 PM

in order to be accurate you would have to find a place that has the equipment to do that.

In the computer, occt can test the power supply with the computer, but it won't be able to bring it to 1200W.
October 10, 2012 8:52:10 PM

If you have warranty or you just recently bought it, I would just return it and get a new one. If it doesn't I would still want to get a new PSU. I wouldn't want to play around with PSU if you're not an electric engineer. Next time, it might actually explode.
!