Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Did I just waste $180 on crossfireX

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 14, 2012 3:32:02 AM

Ok so here is my story, I just recently purchased and installed my second 6870 card by Sapphire. My specs are as listed CPU: AMD FX-6100, Asus M5A99X Evo, 16gb Kingston HyperX, 2x Sapphire HD6870, 730w Raidmax Hybrid 2. So I installed this new card as well as a new case but I am sure that irrelevant to the issue. So I put everything together including a Powercolor Crossfire bridge. I started it up and was ok, the system detected the second GPU and enabled crossfireX automatically, I also verified under CCC. I tried to play BF3 first and noticed Artifacting under my settings before the second card which was medium, It also was showing 100fps but looked no where near it, I was really lagging. I get better performance off of one GPU, The Artifacts went away soon after about 1 minute, but was still very laggy and still showing 100fps. I then did some more research and found out about the CrossfireX profile 12.3 and downloaded it hoping it would change things, but no luck. I also played Crysis 2 w/ DX11 and High Texture MOD. I was not artifacting but I was getting better performance on 1 card. I noticed artifacts on BF3 and Farcry 2 so far as I only tested these 3 games. Can anybody help me out here.

More about : waste 180 crossfirex

April 14, 2012 3:37:58 AM

Aren't all 6xxx series cards below the 6950 notorious for bad microstuttering problems (which sounds like part of what you are describing).

Other quick thoughts:
-I don't know if I trust that power supply
-That CPU isn't powerful enough to feed crossfire 6870s I don't think
-Try running a driver sweeper and then reinstall your GPU driver
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2012 3:42:51 AM

Did you tried only new card by it self? It could be faulty and have artifacts.
Also Sync!!!
You might experience tearing which would look like choppy game. Simply said when your FPS is 100 and your monitor only allows 60 ... I hope you get the picture :) 
Good luck
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2012 3:54:12 AM

Hey,
As bigmack70 said I would have to say that it is micro-stuttering. This happens to be a problem still experienced with certain Crossfire/SLI setups, and it is worse on some setups/people. Try different drivers, are your's up to date? Even if you have 100fps, if micro-stuttering occurs you will feel like the frame-rates are low. Your CPU although not the best, should not be the main cause of this though, it is most likely the CrossFire setup.

1. Remove your drivers (and try driver sweeper as suggest by someone) and reinstall them, also try newer versions of the drivers.

2. Make sure the cards have the same speeds, and try the new card by itself, without the other one to test if the card itself is good.

3. Maxinexus said that that monitors only allow 60 fps (yes that is true for regular 60hz monitors), but it is not the problem, as 60fps is smooth, and if you are experiencing micro-stuttering upgrading your monitor is not the fix.

Hope this helps
m
l
April 14, 2012 4:04:05 AM

1. Does the card perform poorly on its own? Maybe you just have a bad card. Try it by itself.
2. Are you sure that power supply can support crossfire? http://sites.amd.com/us/game/products/certified/Pages/c... It doesn't look like it's on the certified list, but maybe that's old.
3. Micro-stuttering could be the problem, as bigmack said and i'm sure others are saying. Try clearing your drivers and reinstalling them. I always like to start from the disc, but that's been my luck.
m
l
April 14, 2012 4:34:10 AM

Thank guys already tried to drive sweep and re-installed the latest drivers, I will try to sweep and install older drivers now. I am hoping it's not my hardware, my PSU is certified according to the product description. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I am pretty sure that even though the Bulldozer has bad benchmarks, I should be able to support the crossfirex with it. My games that I am running are from what I heard not nearly as CPU stressing as the benchmarks they run on them.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2012 4:58:40 AM

THIS IS NOT MICROSTUTTER! Ok first of all what kind of display are you using, TV or monitor? What model? At 100 FPS microstutter will not be able to be seen 99% of the time. This sounds like screen tearing. Do you have VSYNC enabled? Does it look similar to this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9z3MQeogcY
m
l
a c 216 U Graphics card
April 14, 2012 5:17:04 AM

Did you install the CAP profiles when you installed the drivers again, after installing the 2nd card? BF3 had issues with crossfire at release and will take the latest CAP profiles to work well.
m
l
April 14, 2012 5:21:39 AM

Ok so I have ran the new card on it's own (not sure why I didn't do it to begin with) and first notice the artifacts (never seen this on my original 6870) then ran it on Ultra preset with VSync on and got 14-21FPS, with the original card I got 27-35FPS. Whats your take on this fellas.
m
l
April 14, 2012 5:22:23 AM

I will try the latest CAP, didn't re-installl because it did nothing the first time, but will try again
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2012 5:24:03 AM

islandah said:
Ok so I have ran the new card on it's own (not sure why I didn't do it to begin with) and first notice the artifacts (never seen this on my original 6870) then ran it on Ultra preset with VSync on and got 14-21FPS, with the original card I got 27-35FPS. Whats your take on this fellas.

My take is that the second card may be defective. Did you check the temps of that one?
m
l
April 14, 2012 5:25:34 AM

Actually I didn't, but do you think it should be that far off, from the original
m
l
April 14, 2012 5:27:25 AM

As far as the CPU, would it be considered the bottleneck if it never hit 100% cpu usage stay in the 60-70% range at 3.8 turbo clock.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2012 5:30:20 AM

islandah said:
Actually I didn't, but do you think it should be that far off, from the original

Check the temps. Use third party tools such as EVGA Precision or HWMonitor to check them.
And no, I don't think two cards of the same manufacturer, with same clock speeds, should have that much of a difference.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2012 5:33:56 AM

islandah said:
As far as the CPU, would it be considered the bottleneck if it never hit 100% cpu usage stay in the 60-70% range at 3.8 turbo clock.

No bottleneck there, but AMD CPUs have all sorts of gaming issues. But half the framerate on one card vs the other will cause an imbalance in crossfire. Looks like GPU is the problem.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2012 5:35:35 AM

Oh what speeds are your PCI-e slots running at on your motherboard?

edit: looked it up ur mobo runs at x8/x8/x4 so ur good as long as u put the 2 GPUs in the first 2 slots.
m
l
April 14, 2012 5:46:28 AM

Ok guys so I submitted a RMA request and will ship out the card probably on Monday, If you guys are interested I will keep this open until I get it figured out. I really am hoping for a defective card. I guess it's the option that costs the least...lol. Thanks for all you input and it was all worth a shot.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2012 5:47:25 AM

Good luck. :) 
m
l
April 19, 2012 2:23:43 AM

So my RMA replacement came in today and is allot better then the 1st. I ran the card alone first and I got no artifacts what so ever, and frame rates on AVP benchmark was exactly like my first card. My cards run well now in CorssfireX, except for it getting pretty darn hit, but I figured it should be though. My top card maxed at 80c and the bottom at 76c. Should I be worried about these temps, or is it fine?. Anyway thanks guys for all the help.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
April 19, 2012 3:55:01 AM

Don't worry, keep them under 90C and you should be fine.When running a stress test you should be hitting about 70C, however when running a benchmark temps will be higher compared to every day gaming, as I am sure you know. Also in crossfire it is normal for the cards to heat up a bit more, especially the top one. If you want you can manually set the fan speeds to cool the cards down even more. Make sure your case is well ventilated, and clear of cable clutter, and dust. A single hd6870 runs at about 68-70C on load, that is also in a cool room. However you are running them in crossfire, which means they may heat up a bit more. Keep the temps under 85-90C and you should be fine.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6850-6870-revie...
In the link above they stress tested the hd6870 with furmark, along with a room temp of 21C and it got to 68C, so if your room temperature is higher the cards will run higher too.

Hope this clarifies things
a b U Graphics card
April 19, 2012 4:33:32 AM

Like fi1p said, an HD 6870 can go up to even 105C, which is quite bizarre but keeping it down 90-95C is good.
Yours is hitting just over 80C and 76C, and that's normal, it's nothing to worry about. But regularly monitor them, otherwise excess heat could make the card defective over time, which ever it may be.

m
l
April 26, 2012 2:33:31 AM

Best answer selected by islandah.
m
l
!