High Pitch Whistle In New Computer

helpmepl0x

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
When I open an application, play a video, run a game, or do anything on my computer, I get the worst high pitch sound ever... It's like someone drawing on a chalkboard with a razor every time I open something, or click on a hyperlink. Common sense tells me this is my cpu or gpu. But could my hard drive be at risk? Can I ignore this and blast some music while I play games? Is my cpu going too be dead weight if I do?

Solution
G
google the term "coil whine", it's pretty common. It could be GPU or PSU, so replace one at a time and see where that takes you. Lesser common items would be motherboards, so if replacing your GPU or PSU doesn't do it, that leaves the MB as the prime suspect.

Good luck.

PS: It's very rare that a motherboard will report it's temp in Fahrenheit. More than likely it's Celsius, and that's TOO HOT! It your hitting that temp, you didn't do a good enough job applying the heat sink or thermal compound. Turn off the computer, remove the heat sink, clean off old thermal compound (rubbing alcohol works, 70% or greater is preferred) and re-apply thermal compound. Only use about the size of a pea or uncooked grain of rice, and don't worry...
G

google the term "coil whine", it's pretty common. It could be GPU or PSU, so replace one at a time and see where that takes you. Lesser common items would be motherboards, so if replacing your GPU or PSU doesn't do it, that leaves the MB as the prime suspect.

Good luck.

PS: It's very rare that a motherboard will report it's temp in Fahrenheit. More than likely it's Celsius, and that's TOO HOT! It your hitting that temp, you didn't do a good enough job applying the heat sink or thermal compound. Turn off the computer, remove the heat sink, clean off old thermal compound (rubbing alcohol works, 70% or greater is preferred) and re-apply thermal compound. Only use about the size of a pea or uncooked grain of rice, and don't worry about spreading it out. The pressure from the heat sink will be more than enough! Report back once you have done that.

Solution

helpmepl0x

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
No it's a program that changes the celsius 2 fahrenheit it's correct.

I think I found a temporary solution for now.
It stops when I tap the top of the back of the computer case. So maybe it's a connection to the motherboard that's the problem.

Any idea how an 80 degree room temperature allows my computer 2 run at 50-70 fahrenheit?

G

Something isn't adding up, it's physically impossible to idle cooler than air that you are using to cool the CPU. Someone else is going to have to play with this .

helpmepl0x

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
Disregard my statement about the temperature.

Core temp software isn't working properly.

my cpu is 30 C
Gpu 40 C

I haven't heard the noise at all recently, so it must be a coil.