Sign in with
Your question

Loud fan buzzing noise on first boot (of the day!) only

Last response: in Components
October 10, 2012 3:08:13 PM

Hey guys,

I've been experiencing a (in my opinion) odd situation once a day with the fan in my case.

It will make an extreme buzzing noise, if i turn my pc off mid-boot and turn it back on it'll make the same buzzing noise. But if I let the pc boot, I log in and then turn the pc off and on again it will start regularly and the buzzing noise will be gone.

My pc only experiences this buzzing noise once a day, the first time I boot for that day.

To be honest I'm not 100% sure it's the fan, though the loudest sound does seem to come from it. is there a chance it is my heatsink, and what would make more sense?
I'm positive it's not my storage considering I just upgraded from a HDD to a SSD.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is driving me nuts and I'm not sure wether this is actually negatively impacting my computer's performance.

More about : loud fan buzzing noise boot day

October 10, 2012 3:22:08 PM

is it your cpu heatsink fan? easy way to check is to unplug the fan and run the pc for a very short time to see it it goes away, it is possible the van is causing vibration through the fixings, this could be making the noise also. try making sure everthing is nice an tight
October 10, 2012 3:39:47 PM

billybiff said:
is it your cpu heatsink fan? easy way to check is to unplug the fan and run the pc for a very short time to see it it goes away, it is possible the van is causing vibration through the fixings, this could be making the noise also. try making sure everthing is nice an tight

Thanks for your response, billy

I'll try all of your suggestions in a single-go and report back tomorrow (considering it only happens once a day)

But isn't it quite odd that it only happens once every day? if it were the fixings I'd think the buzzing should always occur.

I was originally targetting the rear-end fan but I'll also check the heatsink.
Related resources
October 12, 2012 5:27:14 PM

billybiff said:

Hey,

reporting back:

It seems to be my front-case fan.

I've checked for wires, loose bolts or dust on the fan but that doesn't seem to be the case. (it would be even stranger if it was since it would be no explanation to why it only happens after the pc has been shut down for multiple hours)

Isn't it a possiblity that the fan is making the noise due to not receiving enough voltage? as it stops after a while/after a reboot.

Further help would be much appreciated. :) 
October 12, 2012 5:34:17 PM

is the extra fan plugged to mb or your psu ide? i had this problem too, what happend was i needed and extra fan, my mate gave me one, but the fan had just 2 wires, black and red with 2 crimps on the end, so i plugged the 2 wires into a ide connector running of the psu (black and yellow) once i got a proper fan and plugged it to the board it stopped, just wondering where u have the fan plugged?
October 14, 2012 10:57:13 AM

darren0000 said:
is the extra fan plugged to mb or your psu ide? i had this problem too, what happend was i needed and extra fan, my mate gave me one, but the fan had just 2 wires, black and red with 2 crimps on the end, so i plugged the 2 wires into a ide connector running of the psu (black and yellow) once i got a proper fan and plugged it to the board it stopped, just wondering where u have the fan plugged?

Reporting back,

They were indeed plugged into the psu ide, I plugged them into the mobo but nothing changed.

Could it be an issue of losing voltage quickly due to overusage? or does anyone have any other ideas?
!