Skipping flickering stuttering want to freeze feeling what ever it is

darkshelby

Honorable
May 1, 2012
hey guys so i noticed when ever i go on a page and want to go back to the previous page i would click go back (<-) and as soon as i do this my mouse icon whould start skipping and it feels like it wants to freeze but it would recover after 2 seconds, that's one problem. second problem is when i'm watching video on youtube or playing games (guild wars 2 beta) the screen would flicker and the sound would stutter same amount of time as the mouse abnormal behavior then it would recover. also diablo 3 would lock on 30 fps when loading on a new zone but i have it lock on 60 fps. only way to solve this is to minimize (alt+tab) the screen and load it back in. also on guild wars 2 i set my game on best appearance and i would only get 45 to 51 fps by my self and 25 to 30 fps on city. here are my spec and all drivers are up to date. only thing overclock is cpu at 4.0

mobo- asus rampage Iv extreme
cpu- intel 3930k 3.20
gpu-asus gtx680
hdd- hitachi 2 tb
ssd- corsair 64 gb (only diablo 3 is intalled)
psw-1200 corsair
ram-16 gb corsair vengeance Lp
window 7 prof

let me know what else you guys need. any help would be greatly appreciated.

p.s cpu temp are 21 to 40 Celsius with costume water cooling gpu temp are 34 celsius and 58 while playing guild wars 2 or diablo 3

I have to say that I would be irritated too if I had a 2000+ dollar PC and I was having some kind of stuttering issues doing stupid stuff like browsing the internet.

You can start narrowing down the problem by removing non-essential stuff.

Drop down to 4 GBs of RAM, no CD drive, no 2TB data drive, and whatever else you can live without if anything. If you have USB stuff plugged in like cameras or whatever take those out. Anything not absolutely essential.

Then test everything again and tell me is anything different.

At the very least that would rule out all that removed stuff as being a problem which would help simplify things greatly.

Also, tell me what sort of anti-virus you have.

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
This is probably a video card driver problem. I had some stuttering when watching any video online. I did a complete uninstall of the drivers (including booting in to safe mode and removing all remnants with drive sweeper) and then a re-install and everything was fine.

This was with an AMD card though. Not sure about Nvdia.

darkshelby

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Thanks you guys these are helpful steps that im going to follow but how do i go about disconnecting the 2tb hdd when my os is installed in there? Would it still ru? Also i have tried unstalling drivers for the video card and re installing it. Still the same.

If the OS is on the 2 TB drive, then I would take it off there. As large as that is it is probably running at 5900 or even 5400 which are both terribly slow.

Take out the 2 TB drive without doing anything to it and then format the SSD and put Windows 7 on it. Your problems will probably go away.

darkshelby

Honorable
May 1, 2012
would that solve the problem with the game guilds wars 2 and diablo 3 fps? also would a 64 gb ssd be enough to run os overtime? with all the updates and downloads from windows would it not get full right away?

64 GBs isn't a huge SSD, but you can get Windows and one or two games on it.

Windows will be about 20, you need to leave at least 7 free for optimal operations, if you offload the swap file onto the regular hard drive later you can avoid putting that 8 GBs on the SSD, depending on what else you want to install on it you can probably spare like 20 GBs for games, maybe 25.

That should get you 1 or 2, even new ones.

Wouldn't hurt to start saving for a 2nd 30 GB one that you could stash the swap file on and another 20 GBs worth of games. Either that or reinstall Windows on the 30 and keep the page file on it and just use the 64 for like 57 GBs worth of games.

Really the ideal size SSD is more like the 128s.

The important point is to try to get all of your operations off the super slow 2 TB drive.

I mean maybe it doesn't work and maybe the problem is something else, you can try it and see. At worst you just have to format it again and reinstall Diablo 3 since that is all that is on the SSD right now. If it is as I suspect the problems will probably go away that you are having.

It sounds like it is worth a shot to me. Just make sure you completely remove the 2 TB drive before installing windows on the SSD else you are bound to corrupt the install on the 2 TB drive when you aren't ready to.

darkshelby

Honorable
May 1, 2012
so i installed the os on my 64 gb ssd and installed diablo on it too. the fps still between 58 to 60 fps and sometimes stock at 30 fps when i have it at stock 60 fps. anyways i just alt del and its back to 60 fps doesn't bother me that much. i haven't experience the mouse arrow skipping around when browsing. so could this mean my hdd is bad? so i try re installing my os on my hdd and see if it does it again? because 64 gb ssd is not enough to have my os on it.

It depends, the drive gets slower as more stuff is added to it. How much of the 2 TBs are you using?

Also, its slower as it gets more and more fragmented. A defrag might help.

Maybe it isn't the hard drive, though. If the game is still slow on the SSD too.

What anti virus were you using again?

Did you try disconnecting everything that you don't absolutely need to have in order to play, like the 2nd - 4th RAM sticks, the CD drives, and all that and see if it makes a difference?

darkshelby

Honorable
May 1, 2012
1.72 tb free out of 1.85 its a brand new build so it doesn't have that much. also i have mcafee for my anti virus. and i have change everything from mobo to ram and diconnecting cd drive. maybe its just the games i only tried 2 games in it.

darkshelby

Honorable
May 1, 2012
so i have tried all of that and this is my main problem now i download fps to monitor my frame rates. also a brief stuttering sound when ever i close a youtube or any type of windows that a video is playing on. for example when i'm playing a game the sound of the game, song or narration would briefly stutter also the screen would kinda lag which makes my fps go nuts for a brief seconds then i t would be fine, but it would do it again after a few minutes 15 to 20 mins. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WHPVBkwvP8&feature=youtu.be

harna

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008

Have you tried to disable the cpu's video in the BIOS? If not try it and see if that makes a difference. Maybe there is a conflict there between the two video drivers.