Sign in with
Your question
Closed

WoW Low FPS with High End PC

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 14, 2012 9:25:46 AM

Hello, this is my first post in Tom's Hardware forum. I follow the news and this forums for quite some time but never had the necessity to open a thread before.

Last week some weird stuff start happening to my fps in World of Warcraft. This problem is visible on Star Wars: The Old Republic too, but that game has huge issues with the engine. I have "googled" possible solutions for my fps problems for a week now, and already tried many, many things but the problem still happens.

My specs are:

Core i5 2500k 4.6Ghz
Asus ROG Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3
Corsair H70 (closed circuit water cooling)
Corsair Vengeange 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz 8-8-8-24
AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB GDDR5
OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD
Western Digital 1.5TB HDD
Corsair TX850W PSU

Some notes on the system:

- I play at 1920x1080 (1080p) resolution on a Samsung 24'' monitor.
- RAM, Graphics Card and PSU are very recent and were purchased to try solve the fps issues.
- Operating System is Windows 7 Home Premium and is installed on the SSD drive for fast boot times and operation (Windows 7 ultimate was tried too)
- I remember that some time ago that I was able to play the game on Ultra settings with very good FPS. Now I am suffering fps drops at High settings.

List of troubleshooting already tried:

- Reinstalled the operating system 4 times already
- Reinstalled the game 4 times
- Tried installing the game on the HDD and SSD. Only diference is on the loading screens. It loads pretty quick on the SSD of course.
- Replaced the Graphics Card with the old one (6950 2GB modded to 6970 by bios shadder unlock) and the fps were almost the same.
- Overclocked the CPU to 5.2Ghz. While the fps increased (4-8 fps) the vcore needed for that speed is not worth the increase.
- Overcloked GPU core and memory. Same results as the CPU, the increase in fps is very minimal to be worth.
- Tried 64 bit client. In some cases the fps dropped.
- Tried using DirectX9 and DirectX11 API. DirectX11 gives more a bit more performance but seems to cause a small weird stuttering.
- As a last resort, I disassembled the PC completely and assembled everything again.
- Tried VGA drivers version 12.1, 12.2, WQHL 12.3 and Beta 12.4. 12.4 seems to give me the best perfomance but nothing really noticeable.
- All the drivers of the PC are up to date.
- Updated BIOS version to the latest one.

As you can see I have tried a lot of things already. I am getting mad at the moment. I can't see why I have such fps drops.

I play on Outland Alliance. I have tried Kazzak, Kilrogg, Aggra and Burning Steppes. Outland and Kazzak get a huge hit on the fps in peak hours. This is easily explained due to the fact that those realms are full of people but should I be getting only 30 fps? I had at least 50-60 before and on Ultra settings not High. On Aggra and Burning Steppes on peak hours I still have a dip on the fps. On Kilrogg is I still have fps drops but it's better than Kazzak but worse than Aggra/Burning steppes.

For at least 3 years I played wow in high quality settings with good fps and now that I have more powerfull hardware this is happening.

I will include a full dxdiag so you can see my PC a bit better.

Sorry for the long post and thank you for the help.

Regards

EDIT: Game is running without any addons and with most of the interface as default to ensure best compatibility.

Spoiler
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 4/13/2012, 18:11:52
Machine name: **Edited**
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_ldr.120305-1505)
Language: Portuguese (Regional Setting: Portuguese)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 03/02/12 19:13:46 Ver: 32.03
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 7648MB RAM
Page File: 1854MB used, 5790MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x6798)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6798&SUBSYS_0B001002&REV_00
Display Memory: 2519 MB
Dedicated Memory: 3047 MB
Shared Memory: 3567 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Monitor PnP Genérico
Monitor Model: SMBX2431
Monitor Id: SAM0771
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: HDMI
Driver Name: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1119 (English)
Driver Version: 8.951.0.0
DDI Version: 11
Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 3/9/2012 06:14:42, 958464 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp:

More about : wow low fps high end

a c 143 U Graphics card
April 14, 2012 11:04:23 AM

Edit your post and delete that "Spoiler" part.
How many FPS do you get so?
April 14, 2012 11:18:27 AM

do u have genuin windows? cause if not the drivers might not working properly.
this hapened to me and i got w7 genuin and everything was fine :) 
Related resources
April 14, 2012 11:20:56 AM

Have you tried other non online games to see if they have decreased frame rates?
If they are fine it could just be WOW itself and not your computer because it sounds like you have eliminated all the other possibilities.
April 14, 2012 11:21:55 AM

ilysaml said:
Edit your post and delete that "Spoiler" part.
How many FPS do you get so?

Spoiler part removed.

28 - 45 fps

Thank you
April 14, 2012 11:24:47 AM

girfes96 said:
do u have genuin windows? cause if not the drivers might not working properly.
this hapened to me and i got w7 genuin and everything was fine :) 

Yes, Windows is genuine. :) 

Already tried reinstalling many times, still problem keeps happening.

Thank you for your reply.
April 14, 2012 11:26:37 AM

dco said:
Have you tried other non online games to see if they have decreased frame rates?
If they are fine it could just be WOW itself and not your computer because it sounds like you have eliminated all the other possibilities.

Yep, Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2. The FPS are good but it gives me some half-second freezes now and then. Anyway those games are not graphic intensive.

Tried BF3 but only online. FPS there seems averange in Ultra settings.

Thank you for the reply.
April 14, 2012 12:05:20 PM

Are you playing with V-Sync turned on? Sometimes it can do weird things to your system's performance.
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 14, 2012 12:26:00 PM

Are you playing windowed mode? Personally, it hurts performance so much in World of warcraft for me, if I have 70 average (limited it via in game command), it drops to 20-30 in windowed mode.
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2012 12:48:24 PM

I looked into this issue myself recently and found this thread:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1921699161?page...

Here's a post from the thread explaining the issue:

OneCard is 100% correct.. Infact both OneCard and I have been struggling with this issue for months and months now...I infact built an entirely new system to try and resolve this... and after $5000 i have found that no amount of hardware will fix this problem. World of Warcraft is simply a very poorly coded game. end of story.. If my Rig cant max out world of warcraft anywhere and everywhere.. then there isnt a rig on earth that will... Test Systemi7 2700k Sandy Bridge @ 5.0GhzASRock Socket 1155 Intel Z68 Pro MotherboardGskill Z Series 2133mhz DDR3 CAS 9 @ 1.65 Volts 16GBOCZ Vertex III SATA III MAX IOPS 6GB/s x2 Raid 0 (1,000MB/s Average Reads and Writes)GTX 470 1.25GB VRAM Overclocked x2 SLILG 22" LED Montiors in Tri-Montior Surround 6018x1080Cooler Master Silent Gold 1200watt PSUAntec 1200 Full Tower Gaming CaseLogitech G15Logitech G5Armstrong Cable Buisness Class Broadband Service 58mb/s Down - 8mb/s uploadStormwind City both cards are at 50% GPU usage on Full Ultra 2x AA (multisample in wow)I fly away from the city and as soon as i reach the city limits both cards spike to 99% GPU usage on both cards..25 man raid Heroic Rag... 15-30% GPU usage... during seed explosions FPS dips to 20 FPS... It is the Game not your computer, not my computer... the game is poorly designed to utilize system memory and Graphics cards....We can only hope that Blizzard is planning on fixing this... if you search the Tech support forums you will be surprised when you see players who ran out and purchased a brand new $600 GTX 580 and were astounded that after installation their frame rates were worse than they were with their old card!!!! and the GPU usage drops to 15% .... why spend $600 on a card that you will only use 15% of... it doesnt make any sense..

You can make improvements to performence by altering some BIOS settings ( I disabled Hyper Threading and got a huge fps increase), but at the end of the day it's the game that's the issue.
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 14, 2012 1:00:32 PM

I can say it's coded well enough, since I run it at 60 fps ultra, and dip to 40s in extreme situations only. Runs better than BF3! Don't forget it's an old engine, so don't compare them.
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2012 1:07:04 PM

I can run the game perfectly find aswell, hitting 100fps by times, the problem is 25 man raids where some encounters are absolutely brutal on fps. If you monitor it closely even the best pc's can hit sub 10 fps in dragon soul, with GPU and CPU at less than 50% load. To me that indicates an issue with the game engine.
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 14, 2012 1:15:52 PM

Hmm I have filmed almost all of the DS encounters, however, I haven't noticed dipping below 40 fps. I'll watch them again.
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2012 1:22:35 PM

If you never see lower than 40 fps on ultraxion 25 man you must be playing on some super computer the rest of us dont know about xD, on my i5 2500k system i get slight better fps, and with recount disabled I get a little more, but never ever as high as 40 fps on that fight.
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
April 14, 2012 1:29:31 PM

I raid 10 mans, I suppose it could be lower a bit on 25 mans. Just watched both videos, the average fps was hovering around 50-60, just sometimes it would dip into 40s (lowest fps I saw on Yor'sahj heroic was 42, and Ultraxion - 46). I think don't think I would drop below dip 35 on 25 mans, and average would be above 40 for sure (I think).
April 14, 2012 1:40:00 PM

Thank to all of you for the help.

I play with no Vsync. I hate that feature tbh.

I can understand that the game may have some problems with optimization like you say. Unfortunately, something is happening because I could play on ultra with very nice FPS before. Now I am unable to do that. I am playing at High settings now and still getting low fps. This is the reason for my complaints.

Every game nowadays has optimization problems. The hardware improve very quickly for the software. Most games are produced with "old" machines in mind yet. I am aware of this, what I can't understand is why after some years with no issues now I have problems. I have tried a lot of things, just wanted to try get more sugestions from a good tech forum like this one. Maybe I am forgetting something important.

Thank you one more time for your time guys.
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2012 1:52:13 PM

I'd recommend reading that thread I posted (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/ [...] 61?page=12 ) I read all 12 pages and found tips for increasing fps on my system, you might find some help too.
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2012 1:55:56 PM

joedjnpc said:
I looked into this issue myself recently and found this thread:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1921699161?page...

Here's a post from the thread explaining the issue:

OneCard is 100% correct.. Infact both OneCard and I have been struggling with this issue for months and months now...I infact built an entirely new system to try and resolve this... and after $5000 i have found that no amount of hardware will fix this problem. World of Warcraft is simply a very poorly coded game. end of story.. If my Rig cant max out world of warcraft anywhere and everywhere.. then there isnt a rig on earth that will... Test Systemi7 2700k Sandy Bridge @ 5.0GhzASRock Socket 1155 Intel Z68 Pro MotherboardGskill Z Series 2133mhz DDR3 CAS 9 @ 1.65 Volts 16GBOCZ Vertex III SATA III MAX IOPS 6GB/s x2 Raid 0 (1,000MB/s Average Reads and Writes)GTX 470 1.25GB VRAM Overclocked x2 SLILG 22" LED Montiors in Tri-Montior Surround 6018x1080Cooler Master Silent Gold 1200watt PSUAntec 1200 Full Tower Gaming CaseLogitech G15Logitech G5Armstrong Cable Buisness Class Broadband Service 58mb/s Down - 8mb/s uploadStormwind City both cards are at 50% GPU usage on Full Ultra 2x AA (multisample in wow)I fly away from the city and as soon as i reach the city limits both cards spike to 99% GPU usage on both cards..25 man raid Heroic Rag... 15-30% GPU usage... during seed explosions FPS dips to 20 FPS... It is the Game not your computer, not my computer... the game is poorly designed to utilize system memory and Graphics cards....We can only hope that Blizzard is planning on fixing this... if you search the Tech support forums you will be surprised when you see players who ran out and purchased a brand new $600 GTX 580 and were astounded that after installation their frame rates were worse than they were with their old card!!!! and the GPU usage drops to 15% .... why spend $600 on a card that you will only use 15% of... it doesnt make any sense..

You can make improvements to performence by altering some BIOS settings ( I disabled Hyper Threading and got a huge fps increase), but at the end of the day it's the game that's the issue.

That's odd because I play wow with the system in my sig on full ultra and I have never once seen my fps drop below 60 (vsync on) ever. Occasionally on 25 man raids with tons of aoe I see it drop to 55-58 or so for brief seconds but that is all. Otherwise it is always stable at 60. I don't doubt that many are having issues but not everyone is.
April 15, 2012 12:39:24 PM

joedjnpc said:
I'd recommend reading that thread I posted (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/ [...] 61?page=12 ) I read all 12 pages and found tips for increasing fps on my system, you might find some help too.

Thank you for your help.

I have been reading that thread for a while. I tried some things but still the main problems happens.

Is there a way to check if my vga or cpu are faulty?

Unfortunately after everything I tried this is the only thing I can think of now.

Thank you all for the time one more time.
!