Radeon HD 6950 2GB FPS Problems

BoomShotKapow

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
I've owned a HIS IceQ X Turbo Radeon HD 6950 2GB for awhile now and it's not performing to the capability I'd believe it could. I've experienced FPS drops in certain games, like BattleField 3 and other FPS games, but I'm not sure what the problem is.

But, I do have an idea, but let me tell you my computer specs first.

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 940 3.0 GHz (over clocked to 3.4 GHz)
GPU: HIS IceQ X Turbo Radeon HD 6950 2GB
PSU: 500w (which I believe may be the problem, but I'm not entirely sure)
RAM: 8 GB

I'm not sure if the PSU is bottle necking the build or not, but I'd really like an opinion on it. Plus the PSU is pretty old, I've had it for several years now.

Also, for the ones who may suggest that it's because of old drivers or current drivers. I've uninstalled all drivers, went through driver sweeper and cleaned it all out. And went through the registry and cleaned out anything related to AMD. I've also deleted the folder. Then I downloaded the newest driver and installed that. So, please let me know what you think may be causing the FPS problems in some games.

Thanks,

BoomShotKapow

BoomShotKapow

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012

Resolution: 1600x900 only have one monitor.

When I play BF3 I probably get 50-60 and it'll randomly drop to like 30-40 and sometimes it'll stutter or freeze, but not always.

I'm not aware of what eye candy is, sorry. Or else I'd fill you in on that. :p

Also please check out the picture I added, not sure if that'll help.

Thanks,

BoomShotKapow

Do you play @ Ultra or High preset?
Also, this shows that your GPU is IDLE and don't do any work, it will change when you load the GPU.
Capture.jpg

I guess 40 FPS is great in your situation, look at the benches below it's very close to what you get. FPS may drop in graphics intensive parts.
amd%20ultra%201650.png

The game my stutter because when the framerate drops below the monitor's refresh rate (typically 60 fps), the framerate drops disproportionately. For example, dropping slightly below 60 fps results in the framerate dropping to 30 fps. This happens because the monitor refreshes at fixed internals.

And you say you get the same results with lower settings, so i can smell a CPU limitations.

BoomShotKapow

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012

So do you think there's anything you can recommend or is it something I'll just need to deal with?

Also, it's not the PSU then is it? Which is a relief but at the same time I don't want to drop more money on a new CPU. :p