Need Help with First HomeBuilt Gaming PC, Please HELP! ~€1400

fakemail15

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Hello! :hello:

I need some help with my fist build. I am a bit worried about doing it so I came here for help. I hope you can help me, I've done some work myself (spent a few weeks) but I am not 100% confident if it will be fine. I hope you will be kind enough to help me out a bit, mostly I need you to have a look and tell me if everything is fine and if you have anything else i could add.

I'll start off with some information, then I'll mention what I have and lastly
I will put up some questions that I am unsure about.

Approximate Purchase Date: In a week (the sooner the better).

Budget Range: up to about €1400 (unless you can make it cheaper)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: playing games, and everyday things such as using the internet or writing something in wordpad + maybe programming in the future. :D

Parts Not Required:
■ Monitor, i have Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM 23 inch IPS LED Monitor
■ speakers
■ headset

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon.Co.Uk, Scan.Co.Uk - - - I live in Ireland, Co.Cork, but there are nearly no shops that sell computer parts so i need to order online, and the shops i know of are these 2, if you know any other shops i could look into, please let me know. :)

Parts Preferences: I've no really any preferences with the companies but I'd like an intel processor and a GeForce graphics card. The companies after that don't really make a difference to me aslong as they have good reputation.

Overclocking: Maybe in the future

SLI or Crossfire: Most likely no, but you can never be sure of that.

Monitor Resolution:
Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM 23 inch IPS LED Monitor 1920 x 1080

Additional Comments:
■ I would like a quiet enough computer (doesn't have to be silent)
■ I'd like everything staying at low temperatures
■ I'd like the computer to last a good few years
■ I don't live in a very hot country so the temperatures should stay low enough (if i am wrong on this then please correct me)

~~~~~~~~~~ Parts I have Picked myself~~~~~~~~~~

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V PRO

RAM: Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9B LP Vengeance Memory 8GB (4GB X 2) 1600MHz CL9 DDR3

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two V3

Processor: Intel 3rd Generation Core i5-3570K CPU

Processor cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO

Graphics Card: Asus 2GB GeForce GTX 670 DirectCU II

PSU: Corsair AX 650W Professional 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow

Mouse: Razer Deathadder Re-Spawn 3500DPI

Optical Drive: Need suggestion!

Things I am unsure about:
Is the motherboard worth getting? Or are there better ones for similar price or lower?
Is the HDD worth getting, or should i get like 2TB for the same price but the 2TB will be those eco-friendly.
■ Will everything fit in the case?
■ Is the graphics card i put up good? or should i go with maybe EVGA or a different company?
Will the PSU be enough for the build? I probably won't be adding much in the future, maybe extra storage but that's about all.
■ Will the parts stay at a safe temperature?
Are the thermal pastes the same?
what optical drive should i get? i won't use it too much, maybe installing the OS and a game once in a while... maybe also burn a CD
Do You Have Any Other Suggestions?!?

I hope you can help me with that much (and I didn't bore you with all the writing). I am looking forward to your reply and ideas!

Thanks In Advance! :)

1: the gigabyte z77x-ud5h has more features for a cheaper price
2: personally i prefer seagate 1tb with 64mb of cache drives. they perform slightly better. just pick the one that is cheaper. green drives wont pefrom that great
3:might want to throw in a ssd such as crucial m4 128gb drive. it will speed up your computer by a lot
4:the graphics card that u have is pretty good. just make sure to get the top edition as it is more overclocked and the chips are binned for even more overclock
5:you probably dont need 80+ gold but that unit is very good.
6:the thermal paste that comes with the hyper 212 evo is arctic cooling mx-4. it is very good thermal paste so no need to buy more
7:any generic optical drive is good enough. some good ones come from lg, lite-on, samsung, or asus
8: get something like a p280 from antec for the case. it has more space and is silence optimized. it still has good airflow

hopz

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
You build looks extremely good! Just a couple quick things though.

-Motherboard I would suggest the Asrock Extreme4 Z77, it's made for the new IB with the 3.0 USB, and OC ability. Also cheaper the ASUS

-As for the HDD, it really depends on how much storage you need, if you have lots of videos/pictures/music I would go to 2TB, HDD storage is extremely cheap.

-You picked the best GTX 670 in my opinion. Excellent cooling, extremely quiet and can OC if you want. No point really in getting the Top edition, it's the same exact card, they just took an extra 2 min to OC it, which you can do the same if you want in 5 minutes.

-The PSU is plenty, if you want to SLI in the future I would go up to 750W.

-You don't need to purchase thermal paste, some will come with the 212 EVO

-I would suggest this for the optical drive, simple, cheap, and reliable
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

-You want to make sure your RAM is low profile so your 212 EVO will fit properly

-One final suggestion, you might want to look at adding in an SSD for you OS if you can fit it into your budget. Will drastically shorten you load times. I would look at Mushkin and Crucial M4.

fakemail15

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Thanks for replying!

With the optical drive that Hopz posted, i can't find it on any of the websites i put up, there is a similar one, but it is £33 and it's not directly from amazon nor scan so i'd have to get a 3rd separate delivery which would probably cost an extra £10 for it to come to Ireland.

WHY is the asrock extreme4 Z77 motherboard so much cheaper than the asus if they are similar performance?

The Geforce 670 top costs an extra £25 more than the non-Top version, I heard that they are the same card except one is over clocked while the other is not. SO, is it worth the extra £25?

I probably won't SLI the cards unless i will be able to get another 670 for like £100 in the future, but then i'd consider if it would not be worth getting a new build again since they would be kind of old by the time they reach the price.

I won't need too much storage, i have the old computer that i could use and a portable 1TB... that adds upto like 3TB in the house.

I'd love a SSD but i can't at the moment, maybe in a few months time I'd be able to get one.

And the case P280, it's nearly the same price (if not more) than what i posted. Is it worth the price difference?

Thanks for all the help so far, hoping to hear more from ye!
:D

hopz

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Any optical drive will really work. the ASUS I just posted is just one of the cheapest I can find that is good. Just make sure it has decent reviews and you should be alright.

The asus board is more expensive because of the brand name, and it has some unnecessary bells and whistles that you would problem never use. I would go with the extreme4 or the gigabyte z77x-ud5h, whichever is cheaper.

The only difference between the ASUS GTX 670 TOp, and the non-Top is the OC. But you can OC yourself in a couple minutes whenever you want. I ordered the normal ASUS one, and am waiting to OC it until it's needed in a year or two when more graphic intensive games come out. right now at stock settings it maxes all settings in every game. OC right now is just overkill anyways.

And if you have that, then stick with the 1TB.

I would defininetley suggest an SSD in the future too. If it were me, I would buy the SSD now, install your OS/Office and whatever else you need for right now. then get the HDD in a month for storage. That way you don't have to reinstall the OS.

I would go with the P280, I'm not a big fan of the 900. But cases are pretty personal

top editions is specially binned for even more oerclocking headroom and quality. that is why it has such a high overclock and slightly higher price. it has been known for the top edition to ramp up above 1.3 ghz in boost clocks

fakemail15

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
Would this optical drive be good? I have no idea which to get so i pouuled out one for low price. :D
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/samsung-sh-s222al-bebe-22x-dvdr-12x-dvdr-dvdplusrw-x8-rw-x6-sata-black-oem

I love the look of the case, just one question, does it cool well with all that quietening stuff around the outside of the case?

~I think i will stay with the non-top card to save money.

Nearly forgot, the Asrock extreme4 Z77 motherboard is cheaper, i think it was about £20 - £30

Once i get the next reply and i will have everything sorted out, i will post up the final parts.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the help you did so far!

hopz

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
That optical drive should be fine, they are all pretty similar.

Honestly those quiet cases do run pretty warm, the air intake in them is pretty poor. You need to add a couple extra fans to them to keep it decent. Which kinda defeats the purpose. I would suggest a case like the Corsair 500r, which has a fan controller, and if you turn them down it's basically silent.

And thats good you found the Extreme4 cheaper.

hopz

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
It's a great case, awesome cable management, really good airflow, LED switch, fan controller, and it's a good size for a mid case.

fakemail15

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
So if I went with this it would all be good?

Motherboard: Asrock extreme4 Z77

RAM: Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9B LP Vengeance Memory 8GB (4GB X 2) 1600MHz CL9 DDR3

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB 7200 RPM

Case: Corsair 500R

Processor: Intel 3rd Generation Core i5-3570K CPU

Processor cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO

Graphics Card: Asus 2GB GeForce GTX 670 DirectCU II

PSU: Corsair AX 650W Professional 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow

Mouse: Razer Deathadder Re-Spawn 3500DPI

Optical Drive: SATA Lightscribe 22x DVDRW with BlacK Bezel - OEM.

One more thing,
Does the case have USB 3.0 headers(or whatever they are called)?
and will the temperatures stay low enough in the case?

THANK YOU!

hopz

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
Yep that build looks excellent. And the case does have 2 USB 3.0 headers on the front. And the case temperatures will stay low enough, it as great airflow.

fakemail15

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012
thanks for the help. i should be ordering everything tomorrow since i need to throw cash onto the credit card and all and the banks are closed. also the scan.co.uk is expecting to have the coolermaster hyper 212 evo delivered today, so i'll wait until tomorrow to get everything in as least amount of deliveries possible.

I'll leave the thread as it is until i order it, and if you have any last minute ideas let me know, but i think i should be fine with it! :D

Thanks. :D

What I was getting at is the mobo runs whatever fan you have at max RPM by default. I wouldn't want that regardless of the fan. The 212's stock fan at min rpm keeps an idle 3570K at under 30C so there's no real reason to run it above minimum (it automatically spins up as temps increase like any other mobo).

Look for these changes. Also to answer your question about the thermal paste...that Cooler Master EVO you have up there comes with a small tube of TX-4 thermal compound which is about as good as it gets so no need to order more.

Both of these boards run dual vid cards and they do it well. You can't go wrong with either board imo...that and they both o/c great.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-Motherboard-PCI-Express-CrossFireX-Intelligent/dp/B007KZQEGC/ref=sr_1_9?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1339443384&sr=1-9 £141.98 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver Delivery
Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard (Socket 1155, 32GB DDR3 Support, ATX, PCI-Express 3.0, USB 3.0, Asus Wi-Fi Go Remote, SLI/CrossFireX Support, Dual Intelligent Processors 3)

or...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Z77-Extreme4-Motherboard-Supports-CrossFireX/dp/B007KTY4A6/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1339443293&sr=1-3 £121.01
AsRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard (Socket 1155, Intel Z77, Up to 32GB DDR3, ATX, 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s, Supports NVIDIA SLI and AMD CrossFireX, Premium Gold Caps)

This XFX psu down below is manufactured by Seasonic for XFX, it's modular, has a Silver efficiency rating and 750w gives you plenty of headroom if you ever do decided to add another one of those cards in SLI later on. 650w is cutting it close to the bone.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Edition-Power-Supply-black/dp/B005TDUFOO/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1339443503&sr=1-3 £93.18
Xfx 750w Black Edition Power Supply Unit (black) (Manf Part Code: P1-750B-UKB9)

Low profile RAM so you don't impede any aftermarket cpu h/s like that one you have up above.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CML8GX3M2A1600C9-Vengeance-1600MHz-Memory/dp/B00569K7LM/ref=sr_1_21?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1339443778&sr=1-21 £41.51 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver Delivery
Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9 LP Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Memory Module Kit

For a quiet and cool case with great airflow I would take either of these cases over that Antec 1100 in a hear beat. Both come with fan controllers, larger fans than that Antec 1100 which means lower RPM, more airflow which all equals less noise. That and their quality is way better than that Antec imo.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsair-carbide-series-500r-black-mid-tower-gaming-case-w-o-psu £70.50 Ex VAT £84.60 Inc VAT
Corsair Carbide Series 500R Grey/Black Mid Tower Case

http://www.corsair.com/carbide-series-500r-mid-tower-case.html <----- another look at that case

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/coolermaster-haf-xm-mid-tower-case-supporting-front-usb-30-3-way-sli-crossfirex-upto-9-hdds-inc-fron £70.50 Ex VAT £84.60 Inc VAT
Coolermaster HAF XM

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6821 <----- another look at that case

fakemail15

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

Thanks for all that, I think i will stay with the Asrock extreme4 Z77 since everyone said that they are nearly the same, and that i can get it for about £25 less than the Asus P8Z77-V mother board

For the PSU you posted, I would need to get a 3rd delivery made so i can get it since it is from other sellers on amazon. Also, If I stay with ONE 670 graphics cards, will 650W be enough?

For the RAM, I had that one mentioned in the first post but BLUE not BLACK. Thanks for pointing out, I might get black so it doesn't stand out! :D

I will go with the corsair Carbide 500R case since I don't really like red color too much in my room, and it wouldn't match the wall color. haha. :)

Thanks, any more ideas before i go ordering?

fakemail15

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

how do I turn it down? I agree that there is not need for it to spin so fast and loud if the processor stays at a low temperature.

So, How do I do it? Will it be in the settings or will i need to do it myself by hitting a switch (It's my first time building a computer so a lot of the things are new to me).

Thanks! :D

fakemail15

Honorable
Mar 3, 2012

I think I will stay with the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo, but thanks for those suggestions. I don't like the look of the noctua. Should I add another fan to the coolermaster for that "push - pull" air flow (what ever it's called)?

thanks!

A solid 550w psu will push one of those cards. The XFX 550w is a good one with 44amps to a single rail.

Here's a good deal on a modular Antec.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Antec-Bronze-Modular-Power-Supply/dp/B0079Y0EYM/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1339490007&sr=1-1 £70.64 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver Delivery
Antec 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Modular Power Supply