Corsair 600T case
i5 3570k processor
ASUS z77 Pro Mobo
16 GB Corsair Vengeance (1600) memory
EVGA GTX680
Crucial 256 GB SSD
Corsair TX 750W PSU
Windows 7 Home Premium

The PSU makes a high-pitched "electronic noise" when I use the computer that appears to be related to what I'm doing on the screen. For example, opening a new window will change the sound; playing a movie will change the sound; moving windows, etc. (virtually anything I do will change the noise coming out of the PSU).

The noise is not very loud, but the "electronic" nature of it makes it very annoying and hard to ignore.

Is the PSU defective? Could it possibly be some setting in my BIOS?

Please let me know if you need any additional information. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

More about : electronic noise psu

Best solution

June 11, 2012 2:03:57 PM

Yeah the PSU is semi-defective, as it likely 'works' fine, and probably will continue working fine for the same amount of time as any other PSU. If you can't stand the noise, call the PSU manufacturer; if it doesn't bother you, it won't hurt anything and your PSU will likely live a healthy life.

There changes in pitch are due to the changes in load level on the noisy rail, the noise itself is 'coil whine' due to a slightly loose or malformed inductor coil, it's pretty harmless. More than likely it slipped through quality control by mistake or a coil got jarred loose in shipping, and they should replace it for you if you complain.

Anyone care to confirm that coil whine isn't going to affect the life of the PSU? I have encountered it at work, but never in a PC PSU :) 
June 11, 2012 3:49:55 PM

DjScribbles, You are right on the mark.
m
l
July 15, 2012 2:21:41 AM

Best answer selected by kazik126p.
m
l
!