Solved

GTX-560's in SLI in 3.0 slots?

Hey everyone, i was looking to possibly upgrade and add a second GPU into my rig.

Im using the AsRock Extreme4 Gen3 P67 mobo and a Evga 560 Superclocked 1gb Graphics Card.

These are in a Cooler Master Haf912 case, and due to the placement of the PSU, it makes fitting a PCI 2.0 card into the PCI 2.0 slot impossible, it simply will not fit.

Fortunatly it is backwards compatable with PCIE 3.0's so i just threw it in there.

So my question would be, am I able to put another card into the second 3.0 slot and run them in SLI? i dont see why it would not be able to run both in SLI like this, but I just wanna make sure before i go ahead and buy another 200$ card, and if not im just going to upgrade to a single 580.

Heres the card btw
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130664&Tpk=14-130-664

Thanks for the help.
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about slots
  1. Well it should be technically fine.
  2. Best answer
    You want to put your main video card in the first full length slot closest to the cpu socket. That bottom pci-e 2.0 slot is only a x4 slot and you would have not been happy with the performance of your video card in that slot. The new Pci-e 3.0 slots are all bacwards compatable and you can put any 2.0 or 2.1 card in any of those slots , even both if you are going with SLI.
  3. inzone said:
    You want to put your main video card in the first full length slot closest to the cpu socket. That bottom pci-e 2.0 slot is only a x4 slot and you would have not been happy with the performance of your video card in that slot. The new Pci-e 3.0 slots are all bacwards compatable and you can put any 2.0 or 2.1 card in any of those slots , even both if you are going with SLI.

awesome, i thought it should be fine but wanted to be sure, i currently have it in the top 3.0 slot now, gonna pick up another GPU when my tax return kicks back then ill be set, thanks for the help guys.
  4. Best answer selected by lldsgt.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards SLI Graphics Product