Sign in with
Your question

Is it worth chaning to intel?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
October 10, 2012 10:47:29 PM

Hey guys, i'm quite new to this forum but have been a visitor for years which has helped me with problems.

I spent alot of money last year upgrading my PC.

Upgraded my CPU from an AM2 - AMD phenom II 2.6ghz 840 to Am3 965 BE 3.4ghz (OC 4.19Ghz)
Zotac GTX 570 SLI
ASRock Fatality 990FX Mobo
2 sticks of G.Skill ripjaws 8GB RAM @ 1600
HAF 922 Tower Case
Zalmon 9900 CPU cooler

However, I still feel the CPU is lacking. Most games are smooth. Others (with physx, dx11 etc) more demanding seem to skip and drop frames all over the place. SO thats why i got a second gtx. Although it has improved most games.... to about 10fps more, it didnt impress me.

So i've been hearing for a long time these i5-2500 are the main bitches for gaming.
If so could some of you guys give me some feedback whether or not to rip out my motherboard for an intel socket instead I would appreciate it.
Also i really like the fatality mobo, so i'm thinking of just getting the intel version instead.
And yes gaming is my main priority :) 

Thanks!

More about : worth chaning intel

a b à CPUs
October 10, 2012 10:55:32 PM

Hi :) 

Its NOT your cpu and you will gain little by changing to Intel...in games...

Have you tested your hard drive for failing sectors ?

All the best Brett :) 
October 10, 2012 11:24:53 PM

thanks Brett.

Running a scan atm but don't think i've had too many bad sectors before.
However the windows is rating my hard disk data transfer rate only around 5.9 whereas the rest are 7.9.

its a Maxtor 750GB Serial ATA non Raid (7200 Rpm)

i didnt really think hard drive could impact much on performance?
Related resources
October 11, 2012 12:57:15 AM

run memtest...
October 11, 2012 1:06:07 AM

I think it is worth to wait for haswell and skip SB/IB. Your CPU is still decent.. especially at 4.19ghz :sol: 
a c 78 à CPUs
October 11, 2012 2:31:11 AM

I ran a 1045t @ 3.4Ghz with two GTX 560's in SLI.

When CompUSA ran a special on the 2600k for $230, I jumped on it and switched to Intel.

The difference is sometimes barely noticeable and most times not noticeable at all.

If someone is buying new and has the budget for Intel, I will recommend it. But after my experience, I do not recommend ditching a good AMD rig to upgrade to Intel.

a b à CPUs
October 11, 2012 5:13:01 AM

If you didn't already know, some games only use two cores. Skyim, for example, has awful audio lag, script glitchiness and other sorts of guff, unless you set it to use two cores. Then it's as smooth as butter.

Try lowering the number of cores your game is using. See if the problems go away.
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2012 5:59:11 AM

stevexsticks said:

However the windows is rating my hard disk data transfer rate only around 5.9 whereas the rest are 7.9.

AFAIK, 5.9 is the maximum score a mechanical drive can receive.

October 11, 2012 11:05:58 AM

Quote:
If someone is buying new and has the budget for Intel, I will recommend it. But after my experience, I do not recommend ditching a good AMD rig to upgrade to Intel.

thanks man, thats great to know. :)  Put in so much money on this rig so i'd hate to rip it apart again. :( 
Quote:
Try lowering the number of cores your game is using. See if the problems go away.

cheers for the info. Sorry to ask but how do I do that?
Quote:
FAIK, 5.9 is the maximum score a mechanical drive can receive.

good know man, thanks.

is intel releasing a new chipset soon i take it? been waiting on AMD for bring out a good one but the bulldozer and FX series was such a let down. I think they are focusing more on mobile now
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2012 11:14:43 AM

I wouldn't upgrade just yet.
!