Can i replace my 5970 with a nivdia card?

lavagurl

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
Have 2 ati radeon 5970 one went bad. What high end nivdia card is compatible with my existing ati 5970 or should i replace it with 2 new graphic cards>? Thanks in advance :)

Earnie

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005

with some basic information like system specs,what resolutions and what games,An Answer would be easier.

An answer like GTX680 is just stupid.

Nvidia cards do not mix with AMD cards, at least not as far as crossfire or SLI is concerned. If you can find another 5970, then in most cases, you'd have a lot more power than a single 680, because the 5970 is made of of two 5870's, for a grand total of about 4 5870's.

The problem is that it is probably near impossible to find another 5970 to replace your bad one, so you're likely going to need a new setup all together, or just use 1 of the 5970's.

What is your monitor setup? If it's a single monitor, then your single 5970 should be more than enough, but if you are using eyefinity, then you might want to start over with two 7970's or two 680's.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
It just so happens someone at my school is selling a 5970 so i could see if he still has it to sell. I believe he wanted 250-300$ for it since it's still a good card. haha hes been trying to sell his 5970 setup for quite sometime because he upgraded to a 590gtx

monsta

Splendid
Earnie an answer like get a 680 is not stupid, if he wants to go nvidia and replace his current ATI setup it would be the way to go, only someone stupid would think I said add a 680 with a 5970, you know they do not mix, use some common sense and logic next time when you read a post, next ill add more detail to an answer so you get it.
If he can find another 5970 he is better off just replacing the dead card with another 5970 or like I said get a 680 to replace his current set up and sell the 5970. Its the op's choice what he wants to do in the end , we just give our opinions at the end of the day.

It depends on:
a) your budget,
b) can you sell your good card, and
c) Is your dead card under Warranty?

My quick answer is to sell your good card and buy a GTX680 when available (non-reference model with better cooling).

If you can get his card for $200 (and your current card's not under Warranty) that might make sense. Any way, do the math.

There are other benefits such as NOISE to consider as well.

monsta

Splendid

Agreed , like I said earlier get the 680 its worth considering

Going from two 5970's in quadfire to a single 680 is going to be a major drop in power from what (s)he had before.

Earnie

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005

I said it was a stupid comment based on he/she has given absolutely no system specs,that IS common sense and logic,How in the hell can anyone recommend anything without ANY specs whatsover?OH I had enough detail,yours was a fanboy remark.It made as much sense as someone asking for a GPU recomendation with NO specs,and the 1st thing somone says"get a 680"
Just a lot of them lately"get a 680" oo the 680 ,wait,theres no stock on them.

4745454b

Titan
While I would normally agree with Earnie's line of thinking, I would have to assume that the OP has a beastly system already if they have a CF setup of 5970s. Two GTX680s is the only way to go. And thats going to be more of a sideways "upgrade".