Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Sappire 6870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 14, 2012 5:44:46 PM

My question is simple i am looking to purchase a Video card and was all about set to getting an XFX 6870 and the winning factor was the double fan being so quiet however as of late the price difference between it and Sapphire's 6870 was note worthy i know it's a good card but i couldn't find any reviews on this card period. What i did find was very similar Sapphire 6870 with very similar shrouds but not the same like for instance i found a Sapphire's 6870 Toxic version with similar shroud but not the same had some holes and stuff. Also does the Sapphire listed below get, not hot but really hot?

So i am looking for people who KNOW about how loud or quite the Sapphire listed below is, just for a little more info look at the price difference as i am counting shipping, taxes, Promo Codes and MIR.

XFX's HD 6870 DD With all the things that fluctuates end price $181.09
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Sapphire's HD 6870 With all the things that fluctuates end price $159.87

More about : sappire 6870

a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2012 5:55:18 PM

Mongor62 said:
My question is simple i am looking to purchase a Video card and was all about set to getting an XFX 6870 and the winning factor was the double fan being so quiet however as of late the price difference between it and Sapphire's 6870 was note worthy i know it's a good card but i couldn't find any reviews on this card period. What i did find was very similar Sapphire 6870 with very similar shrouds but not the same like for instance i found a Sapphire's 6870 Toxic version with similar shroud but not the same had some holes and stuff. Also does the Sapphire listed below get, not hot but really hot?

So i am looking for people who KNOW about how loud or quite the Sapphire listed below is, just for a little more info look at the price difference as i am counting shipping, taxes, Promo Codes and MIR.

XFX's HD 6870 DD With all the things that fluctuates end price $181.09

Sapphire's HD 6870 With all the things that fluctuates end price $159.87

I can tell you my Sapphire idles at 27 and stays at around 50 for gaming. So their cooling is pretty good.
April 14, 2012 5:56:02 PM

Whoa... the XFX sounds like a lawnmower. It's really loud! Sapphire is a great company, as well. Try to find MSI Twin Frozr, though... it's really nice.

XFX has great performance, but it's really loud.

Sapphire is really reliable and all-around good

MSI Twin Frozr has GREAT cooling and performance, and thus is quiet.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 14, 2012 6:02:27 PM

ddan49 said:
Whoa... the XFX sounds like a lawnmower. It's really loud! Sapphire is a great company, as well. Try to find MSI Twin Frozr, though... it's really nice.

XFX has great performance, but it's really loud.

Sapphire is really reliable and all-around good

MSI Twin Frozr has GREAT cooling and performance, and thus is quiet.

Did you look to see which XFX i am talking about because i know there is a Huge difference between the single fan and the Double Fan? At this point i am not concerned with the Sound that comes from that XFX.
April 14, 2012 7:00:24 PM

Mongor62 said:
Did you look to see which XFX i am talking about because i know there is a Huge difference between the single fan and the Double Fan? At this point i am not concerned with the Sound that comes from that XFX.

Ah... good point :whistle: 

I was thinking of a different one. But what I say about the MSI still stands... I would strongly (very strongly) suggest getting an MSI. Unfortunately, I just checked, and MSI only has Twin Frozr or Hawk editions... no Twin Frozr OC :( 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

I would suggest the Hawk edition... it keeps it cool, relatively quiet (not as much as Twin Frozr), and it's overclocked higher. 930...

But it's also more expensive. You may be better off with the Sapphire, after all.
April 14, 2012 7:17:09 PM

Ya i agree with you on that MSI i am very much so a fan of theirs and own 2 Video cards from them and wanted to go look at some other company's stuff, not a knock on them just like to venture abit also as you said the MSI is abit more pricy at this point and i will be making my purchase on Wednesday or before so if the price drops i will be looking at my 3rd MSI
April 14, 2012 7:25:21 PM

Yeah... MSI is pricey. For higher-end video cards, $20 isn't that much of a difference... for this, it's like 10% price hike. The best manufacturers are MSI, ASUS, and Gigabyte, but Sapphire and XFX are more mainstream with nice reviews.
April 14, 2012 7:41:31 PM

Eh... a 6850 is already getting a little too low-end... what do you want to play, and on what resolutions?
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2012 7:50:14 PM

Gray1's right, I have the Sapphire 6870 Flex edition with 1 cooling fan, and with that plus a 212 EVO, even while running furmark + prime 95 the HDD is still the loudest thing in my case. The Sapphire tech's did a marvellous job with their cooler.

It's even quieter than the Windforce 3x fan Gigabyte 6870 that had artifacts, so swapped it for the Sapphire and haven't looked back!
April 14, 2012 8:01:41 PM

@Teh_Gerbil

see this is very much so what i am asking but to clarify does that Flex Edition have the same fan as the one posted?
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2012 10:46:11 PM

After much googling it appears as though not. Is newegg your only means of buying it? Whilst it may be more costly, I would search for the Flex edition as especially if you're after a quiet card, then the end result is well worth it.

Also it may be worth it to note, via the Sapphire overclock facility I was able to manipulate my Voltage/RAM/CPU timing as well, making this card overall a good investment.
April 14, 2012 10:56:13 PM

It's not that i only shop at newegg it is the place i have the most trust in i have used amazon before as well with good results i have also used tigerdirect with mixed results so i try to stay away from them
April 14, 2012 11:54:06 PM

This is a little off subject but since you brought it up Teh_Gerbil i was looking around for other retailers and found this place i herd about once called NCIX and in messing with my shopping cart noticed that they are located in the city of Industry same as Newegg but not the same address. I find this a little odd but my question is how reputable of a retailer is NCIX?
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2012 12:04:48 AM

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/NCIX

They appear to be outstanding. With review sites like the above, I reckon there's safety in numbers, and the sheer numbers of good reviews is quite oustanding.

After reading a few reviews, I would feel safe going with them personally, and I am more of a brick and mortar store guy myself.

After doing a search, it appears as though they also do not have either the Flex nor the Vapour-X series.

Best solution

April 15, 2012 2:16:25 AM

NCIX is great. They, microcenter, and newegg are the primary hardware suppliers. NCIX will commonly have better deals on non-CPU/motherboard components, microcenter will have better deals on CPUs and motherboards, and newegg will have good deals on GPUs. Use pcpartpicker to find the lowest, price, though... that site is incredibly useful!
April 22, 2012 12:35:40 AM

Best answer selected by Mongor62.
!