Sign in with
Your question

Gaming PC build - Need final opinions

Last response: in Systems
June 11, 2012 6:43:50 PM

I'm going to buy my new gaming setup within the next two weeks and currently have this build in mind.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($38.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Sandisk Extreme 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($409.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($25.97 @ Newegg)
Total: $1339.86
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-06-11 14:40 EDT-0400)

Just wanted final opinions on the build before I purchase it. I will be playing most games on max settings, streaming gameplay to TwitchTV and overclocking the processor to about 4 - 4.2. I just wanted to make sure I have a powerful build that will allow me to do so and handle my two 21.5" Samsung monitors both running on HDMI.

Anything missing or something I should change? Let me know please!
a b B Homebuilt system
June 11, 2012 7:06:02 PM

Looks eggselent!
a c 84 B Homebuilt system
June 11, 2012 7:11:39 PM

A very good build.

I might go with the Intel 330 series 120gb SSD for $120 after rebate.
Primarily because I think Intel and Samsung seem to have less issues.
They produce their own nand chips and can do better testing.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you live near a microcenter, they will sell you a 3570K for $190.
Related resources
June 11, 2012 7:12:59 PM

maybe change the hd to a slower hard drive with higher capacity for a few dollars more
June 11, 2012 7:17:02 PM

Looks good to me.

Not sure if you are awarre but you can almost always save $75-$100 bucks on a PC build at newegg using the combos. When you add each item to your cart see what combo deals newegg has for each . I suspect many of the items you have listed will have combos for the other items. Nothing like spending 30 minutes to save a $100 bucks.
June 11, 2012 7:18:57 PM

I always would suggest a blu-ray player.... it's worth it
June 11, 2012 7:19:22 PM

Thanks for the positive feedback. Keep the opinions coming they really benefit me and the community as well :) 

Also at the above combo, is there a difference with the 3GB and 6GB hard drive speeds?
June 11, 2012 7:28:51 PM

slicedtoad said:
And here's another combo with the same parts you have:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

And no, hdds don't need sata 3.0

edit:
and here is a better ssd. Faster and more reliable:
It's $10 more.

Nice combo! Only problem is from previous posts I read low profile sticks are better than those with high heat spreaders. Would that be a problem in my machine? The ones in my build are low while the combo has the heat spreaders.
June 11, 2012 7:31:44 PM

^with your cooler, no. with a bigger cooler, yes. So base it on whether you plan to upgrade. The hyper 212 is a good choice for your desired oc.

You can decide if it's worth $25.
June 11, 2012 7:39:33 PM

mookial said:
Thanks for the positive feedback. Keep the opinions coming they really benefit me and the community as well :) 

Also at the above combo, is there a difference with the 3GB and 6GB hard drive speeds?

3gb and 6gb refers to the buffer to sata port transfer speeds. Very little in the buffer benefits from this since it is the platter to buffer speeds that are very slow, at least compared to a ssd. Pick your hard drive based on other factors.
In general, larget 1tb drives are a bit faster because they have denser platters.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 11, 2012 8:08:18 PM

I'm not familiar with that brand of PSU ( not saying it's bad, just I don't know about it, ) but otherwise that's very solid.

If you can swing an extra $100 ( I know, that may be asking a lot, ) you may want to grab a 256GB SSD. My 128 GB m4 is pretty full and I've reached the point where I have to swap out game installs ( ~15GB free with StarCraft II, Mass Effect, LotRO, Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2 beta, and a few small older games installed. )
a b B Homebuilt system
June 11, 2012 8:11:07 PM

RedJaron said:
I'm not familiar with that brand of PSU ( not saying it's bad, just I don't know about it, ) but otherwise that's very solid.

If you can swing an extra $100 ( I know, that may be asking a lot, ) you may want to grab a 256GB SSD. My 128 GB m4 is pretty full and I've reached the point where I have to swap out game installs ( ~15GB free with StarCraft II, Mass Effect, LotRO, Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2 beta, and a few small older games installed. )

PCP&C does have good units, but the silencer MKII like OP chose and MKIII series cannot live up to the quality of what the original silencer has(910w silver on newegg for 150$)
June 12, 2012 1:37:55 AM

Well I changed my SSD to a Crucial M4 and got some of the combo deals to lower the price, although it saved me about $50 :( . Any other suggestions?
June 12, 2012 3:29:47 AM

other suggestions to save money? Two things you could downgrade without loosing performance.
-PSU, could be a bronze rated one
-Case, lots of much cheaper options

Also, look into a microcenter. If you have one nearby, the 3570k is much cheaper there.
June 12, 2012 3:16:50 PM

mookial said:
Would you guys recommend the current case I have or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Cases are a personal thing. Go ahead and bust your budget for a case you love.
You will be looking at it for a long time, and it will be future proof in that you can use it for several rebuilds.

That said, from a functional point of view, most any case with two 120mm intake fan will cool well enough.
A cheaper case is a good place to save in favor of better components.
Look at the Antec 300 illusion model for even less$. Some 1000 reviewers cant be too wrong:
a b B Homebuilt system
June 12, 2012 4:34:51 PM

geofelt said:
Cases are a personal thing. Go ahead and bust your budget for a case you love.
You will be looking at it for a long time, and it will be future proof in that you can use it for several rebuilds.

That said, from a functional point of view, most any case with two 120mm intake fan will cool well enough.
+1 to that. I think it's worth a little extra $$$ to get a case you really like. Yes, it's pretty easy to find one that has proper cooling, so if that's all you're looking for, don't sweat it much. But if you want something extra, like something quieter or with specific connectivity slots ( eSATA or USB front ports, card readers, drive docks, etc, ) then don't scrimp. My experience has been most people think something is good enough for right now and then they'll upgrade later but then that "later" rarely actually happens.

I'm not saying you go overboard on the budget, but if you can afford the extra cost now, or if you can delay your build a week or two to save up, get the case you want and don't settle for "good enough."
June 12, 2012 4:46:42 PM

Well I was looking at the 500R for a while and really enjoyed it's look, fan placement and the front panel with the USB/IO jacks. I think I will keep that case as it appeals to me.

On the other hand, would a 650W (Bronze) be sufficient? This is on sale http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... but I was not sure if it will handle the fans from the case and overclocked processor/GPU.
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
June 12, 2012 4:57:32 PM

Yes, Corsair TX series are very solid power supplies.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 12, 2012 4:58:33 PM

That's more than sufficient. Remember, Bronze/Silver/Gold/Platinum just refers to how efficiently a PSU can deliver power from the wall to the system, it doesn't mean the PSU itself can't handle as much wattage or that it's delivering dirty power.
June 12, 2012 7:32:10 PM

That tx is a great psu but it's not modular. I'd recommend something like the Seasonic M12II.

This would also be sufficient for anything but SLI/CF gpus: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Both are great PSUs.

As to the case, I'd stick with one you really like. I skimped on mine and ended up having to mod it extensively. Not that modding is a bad thing but most people prefer not to.
June 12, 2012 8:58:17 PM

I like that Seasonic 620, added it to my cart! So far so good, now just have to wait until I get the money to order it all >.<
!