• Homebuilt
  • Cooler Master
  • Fan
  • Motherboards
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 11, 2012 7:17:45 PM

Hello,

I have a P8Z77-V LE motherboard, a ModXstream 700w PSU and a Cooler Master 690 II advanced case.

The problem I have is that there are 4 fan headers on the motherboard:

1 cpu
2 chassis
1 power

The case has 3 fans: 1 intake and exhaust and 1 on the top. The problem is that I can only connect 2 fans to the chassis headers and got 1 fan left. My question is: what would be the best solution?

Solution 1:

Intake and exhaust both on PSU power, top fan on chassis
Intake on PSU, rest on chassis (current setup)

My motherboard regulates the fans but of course it doesn't regulate the one connected to the power fan header. Can anyone help me with this? Also, I hear a slight rattling noise coming from the exhaust and top fans, I can hear it when I move my head near the fans. Is this normal?

More about : fan headers

a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
June 11, 2012 7:58:52 PM

You can put multiple PWM fans on 1 header using fan y connectors. Maybe that is something you want to look into.
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 481 V Motherboard
June 11, 2012 8:12:45 PM

want a cable like this one AK-CB002 PWM Fan Splitter Cable. one that has mpower on one end to power all the fans that you connect to it and one header to control the fan speeds. with fans today they should be almost no noise if there good fans and the berrings on the fans are fine. i would check to see that the fans are screwed in right and not to tight. on my antec 100 gaming case the only fans i hear are the 40mm mb fans on the sabertooth.
Related resources
June 11, 2012 8:32:51 PM

smorizio said:
want a cable like this one AK-CB002 PWM Fan Splitter Cable. one that has mpower on one end to power all the fans that you connect to it and one header to control the fan speeds. with fans today they should be almost no noise if there good fans and the berrings on the fans are fine. i would check to see that the fans are screwed in right and not to tight. on my antec 100 gaming case the only fans i hear are the 40mm mb fans on the sabertooth.

When I pull the center of the thing that spins (I don't know what the correct word is) it can move a little bit. Is this normal? I can pull it back approximately a half centimeter.
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 481 V Motherboard
June 12, 2012 5:02:48 AM

depends on the fan and the bearings used in the fan. the cheaper the fan the more sloppy the fan bearings are. sometimes the fan will move a little and because there no fan foam or rubber grommets to stop fan vibration from going into the case.
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g7/c111/list/p1/Sound_D...

if you have a local micro center or pc parts store see if they have some low db fans.
cheap fans will have a pressed one..
step up will be one that uses a magntic field to spin the fans.
top fans now have hydro bearings or use a fluid to keep them nice a quiet.
a good fan going to have low db. 18 db at max speed for 120mm fan.
!