Sapphire 7870 shows only half screen in bios

Hoshino77

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
I was just wondering if anyone else encountered a similar situation and could help me figure this out:
I just built a desktop using an i7 2600k, Antec Truepower new 750w PSU, Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3, 16Gb Kingston ram and a Sapphire 7770 (1st card for this build) And noticed that the post / bios screen was displaying the LEFT of the bios menu on the RIGHT 3/4 of my Panasonic plasma (left quarter of the plasma was blank). I found this disturbing but since it correctly displayed in windows 7 after I installed the drivers I tested it out using the built in hdmi port of the board and my old 9800GT both using hdmi as well. Everything (post / bios and windows) was displayed normally! So I went and got a 6870 which worked great for a few weeks before its hdmi port gave out. Since it still had a shop warranty, I brought it in & added the difference to get a 7870... Which is working great now, stable during hour long furmark stress tests, getting a 3dmark11 score of P6588, flawless video playback... BUT THE BIOS / POST SCREEN IS BACK TO LEFT MENU DISPLAYING ON RIGHT 3/4THS OF THE PLASMA SCREEN (left quarter is blank again) I've seen someone else with this problem on his 7950 on another forum but he still hasn't gotten an answer yet either.

Anyone? Help... Please?

Solution

It will be the same with the adapter , the only way you can see the bios with these newer cards is to use VGA or D sub

I use both , I have HDMI and VGA in both ports of my multi-function TV :)

I think a new firmware should address this issue though

90Ninety

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
I have ecxactly the same prolem with my HD 7770 and Panasonic TV , it worked fine before I updated the driver , I think its's only certain older drivers that work for the BIOS and HDMI

Let me know if you solve the problem

90Ninety

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011

Well, there's a workaround , if you use a DVI to VGA adapter , then plug in a VGA lead to the Plasma ( if it has one) , the bios should be displayed correctly

Let me know if this helps

My bios is only displayed correclty using the VGA lead to my TV , then I switch it to HDMI once booted

Hoshino77

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
Thanks guy, I'm kinda relieved that I'm not the only one who experienced this! I'm waiting for a DVI to HDMI adapter in the mail and hopefully it'll solve everything. (I tried using the D-sub port on the card & tv but the resolution was limited to 1280x768 althogh the bios screen displayed right where it should be!)

90Ninety

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011

It will be the same with the adapter , the only way you can see the bios with these newer cards is to use VGA or D sub

I use both , I have HDMI and VGA in both ports of my multi-function TV :)

I think a new firmware should address this issue though

Solution