Sign in with
Your question

Black Screen of excruciating death

Last response: in Systems
June 11, 2012 7:31:13 PM

This question has been posted before and seems to be a common problem amongst fellow pc users.

I have had my custom build system for 5 years now and suddenly it has developed an unhealthy habit of randomly black screening. There is no specific trend to when it happens. Most common is during game play but it also happens when idling or internet browsing or even booting. I have switched the GPU but it was to no avail. I am running a stress test right now and everything seems to be running fine. I am lost and im loosing hope. I have been trying to resolve the problem for around 4 months now. This is my last attempt before scrapping this machine.

The system seems to deteriorate the longer it is on. In initially black screening during game play then during desk top then during boot up. It also randomly black screens for no reason. When this occurs I have too leave the system for around 24 hours until i can boot up again. I have never come across this before and it seems very strange. With all these variable black screens it has been impossible for me to source the problem.

Please help me hardware fellows your my only hope.

System Details:

OS/ Windows 32 stripped edition

CPU/ AMD Athlon(tm) 64X 2 Dule Core Processor 6400+/CPU 3200.0Mhz and BUS 200.0 Mhz

MOBO/ Asus M2R32-MVP

GPU/ Ati Radeon 29000 HD X 2 Crossfire

3 GB RAM

PSU 800w Hyper

I'm on stand by here and will keep rechecking this post for reply's. Id be happy to provide any further information. Just be prepared to tell me how to get it as i might not know how.

Cause i am a newbie =(

ps. reformatted 5 times with: win 64bt, Win 7 32bt, win 7 64bt.
All driver are up to date.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 12, 2012 10:59:31 AM

at 5 years that pc had a nice long life. first off it might not be the pc but the back light on the monitor. have you tried putting a flashlight to the monitor to see if there was still an image on it or that the monitor power or inverter went bad??? most time when people have black screen issues we tell them to try there monitor will a laptop or another pc and see if the error follows the pc or the monitor. at 5 years you could have a cap that failing in the mb or the power supply. you would need a friend that had a load tester to see if the ps was failing..better off asking if a friend has a spare you can use..
m
l
June 12, 2012 5:31:10 PM

smorizio said:
at 5 years that pc had a nice long life. first off it might not be the pc but the back light on the monitor. have you tried putting a flashlight to the monitor to see if there was still an image on it or that the monitor power or inverter went bad??? most time when people have black screen issues we tell them to try there monitor will a laptop or another pc and see if the error follows the pc or the monitor. at 5 years you could have a cap that failing in the mb or the power supply. you would need a friend that had a load tester to see if the ps was failing..better off asking if a friend has a spare you can use..

First off thank you for replying. The monitor seems to be ok. Im quite sure its the system thats crashing because while watching a video or playing a video game, if a black screen occurs the audio starts to loop. Suggesting to me the computer is hanging. Starts with about a 5 second loop and gets shorter the longer you leave it. Eventual its just like a 0.5 second loop of the audio.

Regarding the load tester I don't know anyone that has one. I would not know what to do with it anyway. Im thinking of taking it to a PC repair place. But i don't want to because i know they will ask for an arm and a leg to diagnose the system.

My burn test aborted yesterday because my 2 gpu's were getting to hot. It reached 110c and stopped. The system did not seem to black screen thou which just makes things more complicated.

Thanks again.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
June 12, 2012 7:17:02 PM

prime95 is a cpu test...it may load the cpu and mb down where it reboots...open hardware monitor is for temps and power supply voltages.
m
l
June 12, 2012 8:00:55 PM

smorizio said:
prime95 is a cpu test...it may load the cpu and mb down where it reboots...open hardware monitor is for temps and power supply voltages.

Thank you for replying.

So what should i expect to see with this software. What should I look for?
m
l
!