Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Best remotes for my HTPC

Last response: in Systems
June 11, 2012 7:34:10 PM

Hello all,
I am in need of some help... obviously.
I have just finished my new HTPC build and realize that i have no form of UI other then a keyboard and mouse. Well, this option is becoming real annoying. The cords are too short, I'm not interested in extension cords across my living room, and wireless keyboards and mice aren't much better in my opinion. So, this leaves me with needing some kind of remote control.
The whole purpose for my HTPC is so I can cancel my cable and watch movies and t.v. through network websites as well as streaming from netflix, amazon, Hulu, youtube, ETC. I wont be playing games on my HTPC so the main use for this remote will be web surfing and playing my own downloaded media.
At present, i have no means to play local/free t.v. but eventually i will be getting an antenna and tuner card so it will need to be able to handle that too... if possible.

Here are my HTPC stats if needed:

MOBO: ASRock H77 Pro4-M LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i3-2105 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000

PSU: COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M600, 600W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Bronze Certified

MEMORY: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

HD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

CASE: Phobya watercooled mATX HTPC case

I have a friend who recently purchased a remote with a keyboard and a touch pad, for around $200. The thing sucks! U have to press the buttons multiple times to get it to work. Also, the courser jumps around, is hard to control, and it's nearly imposable to get positioned over buttons like the minimize button or the "X" button... for example.
I understand that i will also need some kind of RF or IR receiver because my case doesn't have one built in. I'll be looking into that soon as well.
I was thinking of getting a tablet to use as a remote control, like this one: VIZIO VTAB1008-B 8" TABLET,
but a lot of reviews on newegg.com say it has problems with the charging port breaking and battery life being short, to say the least.
The other option i was considering was the lenovo n5902 enhanced multimedia remote. Does anyone know if this any good?
I would prefer to spend as little as possible for a quality product but my budget its around $100 to $150. I was willing to pay more for the VIZIO VTAB1008-B 8" TABLET because it was a tablet as well as a remote.
Any and all suggestions that fit the criteria stated above, will be appreciated.
Thank you for your time,
Leonard

More about : remotes htpc

Best solution

June 11, 2012 11:05:33 PM

The lenovo n5902 is well received in HTPC circles. I personally use a Dinovo Mini, which I can't recommend unless you get it for cheap (~$60). My favorite keyboard to use with my HTPC is the Moneual MK701, but they're hard to find these days.

I suggest you get yourself a cheap USB IR receiver & remote combo (like these). Use the bundled remote and see if you like it. If you don't like it, just save up and get a nice Logitech Harmony remote and just use the USB IR receiver from the cheap remote. Add the lenovo mini keyboard and you can handle all your HTPC needs within your budget.

Do you have any Andriod or iOS devices? There are apps that turn them into remotes: Mobile Mouse and HippoRemote for example.
June 22, 2012 2:14:03 PM

Best answer selected by Jarott_damodred.
m
l
!