Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which GPU is Better?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 14, 2012 10:55:58 PM

Hello everyone, I was curious on what GPU to get as a good temp until the rest of the NVidia 6xx comes out or I can get a really good Radeon 7xxx.
I've split between these two cards,

This one- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or

This one- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Which one is better than the other?

More about : gpu

a c 1408 U Graphics card
a c 161 Î Nvidia
April 14, 2012 10:57:04 PM

The HD6870 is the more powerful one!
m
l
a c 231 U Graphics card
a c 83 Î Nvidia
April 15, 2012 12:44:40 AM

I don't quite understand the thought process behind buying a card "for a month" w/o considering what ya gonna do with it afterwards. Have you perhaps considered buying a mid priced nVidia card and then keeping it for use as a PhysX card when the one ya want comes out ?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 181 U Graphics card
April 15, 2012 1:05:02 AM

^+1 ^+1
Both are right. You spend about $200.00 just to use a card for a month. So Why do that? I would just keep what I got and wait it out for the other cards. But that is up to you and you alone.

The 6870 vs 7770 card well here is a bench mark to show you what card may be better. I wish you the best of luck on this. Only one month will fly bye.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/540?vs=536
m
l
April 15, 2012 1:24:02 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
I don't quite understand the thought process behind buying a card "for a month" w/o considering what ya gonna do with it afterwards. Have you perhaps considered buying a mid priced nVidia card and then keeping it for use as a PhysX card when the one ya want comes out ?

Actually, I have, and I might.
Also, I plan on using the GPU far longer than a short amount of time.
m
l
a c 166 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 15, 2012 1:48:26 AM

re: PhysX cards.
An exhaustive test has shown that most cards used as PhysX cause a bottleneck thus slowing the game down more than the main card by itself.

I don't know exactly where the bottleneck occurs but roughly any card less than 75% of the main cards performance will make things WORSE.

AMD as PhysX cards:
Only NVIDIA cards can be used for PhysX anyway. There are hacked drivers around but the main card would need to be AMD and the PhysX addon card NVidia for that to even make sense.

Why not just spring for a GTX680 or wait only a little longer for a GTX670. At $400 likely, the GTX670 should be a great value and you don't need to deal with the issues of multiple cards (noise, heat, drivers).
m
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
April 15, 2012 2:03:01 AM

^+1
I agree with photonboy because we were all on a thread about this topic not to long ago and what he is stating is true.
m
l
April 15, 2012 2:21:07 AM

Or you could just buy an EVGA card and use their Step Up program. That's what I'm currently doing.
m
l

Best solution

a c 166 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 15, 2012 4:03:34 AM

The HD6870 is the best value around IMO.

While I recommend that you WAIT for the GTX6xx of your choice if you do decide to go ahead that's the card I'd get.

You can find one for as little as $150 after MIR (NCIX). If you could sell it for $100 in six months that's not too much of a loss.
a c 166 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 15, 2012 4:24:14 AM

dpmcbrde said:
Or you could just buy an EVGA card and use their Step Up program. That's what I'm currently doing.

EVGA's Step Up program only applies to approved EVGA cards (reference-only and in-stock) that have been purchased WITHIN THE LAST THREE MONTHS.

Basically this is for people who realized that they made a mistake.

You also have to upgrade to a BETTER GPU. Not only that, you have to give them your card to test before they will send you the upgraded card.

If you had the foresight to be aware of this program you likely wouldn't need to use it.
m
l
June 15, 2012 3:58:38 PM

Best answer selected by Serrix.
m
l
August 27, 2012 10:43:19 PM

rolli59 said:
Care to explain then why the HD6870 has 14% higher performance than an overclocked HD7770! http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/HD_7770_OC/...

Okay Sorry for the long time it took to reply. The main reason I said it was better was because my friend said so. I looked it up and found out the true results. Thank you for bringing it up to my attention.
m
l
!