Which GPU is Better?

Solution
The HD6870 is the best value around IMO.

While I recommend that you WAIT for the GTX6xx of your choice if you do decide to go ahead that's the card I'd get.

You can find one for as little as $150 after MIR (NCIX). If you could sell it for $100 in six months that's not too much of a loss.
I don't quite understand the thought process behind buying a card "for a month" w/o considering what ya gonna do with it afterwards. Have you perhaps considered buying a mid priced nVidia card and then keeping it for use as a PhysX card when the one ya want comes out ?

Serrix

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012

Actually, I have, and I might.
Also, I plan on using the GPU far longer than a short amount of time.

re: PhysX cards.
An exhaustive test has shown that most cards used as PhysX cause a bottleneck thus slowing the game down more than the main card by itself.

I don't know exactly where the bottleneck occurs but roughly any card less than 75% of the main cards performance will make things WORSE.

AMD as PhysX cards:
Only NVIDIA cards can be used for PhysX anyway. There are hacked drivers around but the main card would need to be AMD and the PhysX addon card NVidia for that to even make sense.

Why not just spring for a GTX680 or wait only a little longer for a GTX670. At $400 likely, the GTX670 should be a great value and you don't need to deal with the issues of multiple cards (noise, heat, drivers).

The HD6870 is the best value around IMO.

While I recommend that you WAIT for the GTX6xx of your choice if you do decide to go ahead that's the card I'd get.

You can find one for as little as $150 after MIR (NCIX). If you could sell it for $100 in six months that's not too much of a loss.

Solution

EVGA's Step Up program only applies to approved EVGA cards (reference-only and in-stock) that have been purchased WITHIN THE LAST THREE MONTHS.

Basically this is for people who realized that they made a mistake.

You also have to upgrade to a BETTER GPU. Not only that, you have to give them your card to test before they will send you the upgraded card.

If you had the foresight to be aware of this program you likely wouldn't need to use it.

Lasagnaboy

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011

Okay Sorry for the long time it took to reply. The main reason I said it was better was because my friend said so. I looked it up and found out the true results. Thank you for bringing it up to my attention.