Solved

Help me choose a PSU

Hiyas, I'm not very familiar with computers and this will be the first time ever I'm building one. I'm rather confused as to how I should choose an appropriate PSU to go with mine. This is my build so far, it's a screenshot from a local shop I'm probably going to order from.



I plan to use the PC largely for Photoshop and 3D work in Cinema 4d and Softimage, sometimes Maya and 3DS..... and some gaming >_>. I've been told by some that getting a 6 or 8 core PC and better video cards would work a lot better for rendering in c4d but those are really expensive and considering I've worked with a prebuilt with average components for a while I think this would be a step up if anything.


It would be a great help if you could tell me the wattage that would be appropriate for this, also I've read about a lot of controversy among the different brands of PSUs such as people telling me to avoid Cooler Master like the devil and to look for ratings like bronze silver and gold (which I'm not too sure of) for starts.

Of course I wouldn't mind some advice as to the parts I've chosen, I mainly made my choices from friends advice and off reviews on the internet so I'm unsure if I made any bad desicions with this.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, any input will be very appreciated :)
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about help choose
  1. Get a 550W from any reputable brand (XFX, seasonic, Corsair, OCZ, antec) before you buy your chosen model give it a quick check by googling for reviews guru3d, johnnyguru and hardwaresecrets all do good reviews for PSU's.
  2. For applications you mentioned, the more powerful cpu, the better. Graphics card doesn' t matter that much. If I were you, I would buy at least 3570k, and maybe 3770k with cheaper graphics. For smooth work buy 16GB of ram. As mentioned above, you don't need a very powerful PSU.
  3. Best answer
    The EVGA GTX 560 Ti SC is only 185$ on newegg after rebates.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130604

    I see that mobo already comes with the 3570k. :) Yeah, I agree, for video editing, photoshop, etc, I'd get 16GB 1600MHz RAM.

    I don't know much about thermaltake cases, but I'd recommend the HAF 912 or 922 or Antec 302 but it depends on what you like.

    For the PSU, I'd recommend an Antec 550W, but if you want to save money you could get the Seasonic S12II 520W or M12II 520W. I'm not sure about the M12II, but the S12II is not modular.

    I don't think you need the low profile if you're going to use the stock cooler. If you still want that though, I'd suggest this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233197. It's the same price as your Vengeance 8GB. Looks like that local store sells things at pretty expensive prices.
  4. S$ I'm guessing is singapore dollar so comparing newegg US dollar prices doesnt really work
  5. Thanks for the input so far everyone

    Quote:
    The EVGA GTX 560 Ti SC is only 185$ on newegg after rebates.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130604

    I see that mobo already comes with the 3570k. :) Yeah, I agree, for video editing, photoshop, etc, I'd get 16GB 1600MHz RAM.

    I don't know much about thermaltake cases, but I'd recommend the HAF 912 or 922 or Antec 302 but it depends on what you like.

    For the PSU, I'd recommend an Antec 550W, but if you want to save money you could get the Seasonic S12II 520W or M12II 520W. I'm not sure about the M12II, but the S12II is not modular.

    I don't think you need the low profile if you're going to use the stock cooler. If you still want that though, I'd suggest this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233197. It's the same price as your Vengeance 8GB. Looks like that local store sells things at pretty expensive prices.



    http://prntscr.com/h7o2l Oh no T_T

    The HAF 922 is more than twice the price of my current case... I can't see the need for spending almost as much on my case as my GPU. The 912 I might consider.

    Yeah this local store has stuff pretty inflated, it's in Singapore Dollars in case you thought it was USD... but it's already cheaper than most of the other stores around here. I'm still hunting for alternatives, I found some with price listings at lower but they don't have an online store. I'm so sad I can't purchase from newegg being here in Singapore... I'm so jealous.

    I plan to eventually upgrade to an aftermarket cooler hence the choice for the low profiles, I'm actually not sure if I even need them to fit in a 212+ but I'd rather spend the extra 10 bucks or so than regret it eventually. I was also thinking about a sound card, I already have a USB DAC however, so I'm not sure whether it would even be worth the time and if it did work out whether mixing signals would cause more noise, but that's for another time.


    As for the PSUs, I have it narrowed down to four. (Are we allowed to link to stores on this forum? That would probably be easier than me lightshotting stuff...)

    Antec VP550P 550W S$75

    Corsair GS600 600W S$115

    Seasonic S12II-520 520W S$82

    Seasonic M12II-520 520W S$98

    I'm curious as to what exactly is the difference between the M12II and the S12II
  6. The M in M12II stands for modular. So you don't have to hide away excess cables inside your PC. The VP550P is okay, but I'd step up to the Seasonic S12II-520 if possible, or the modular one if you want that convenience. The Corsair GS600 is alright, but there's no reason to pay more for it.
  7. Sorry, I did see the "S$" ... I can see why you picked MSI

    Yeah, I'd get the M12II. It got a bunch of really good reviews. :) For my case, I got the S12II because it saved me some money and I just hid the cables at the back of the MB tray. I have the 912 by the way.

    Good luck with your build.
  8. Quote:
    Sorry, I did see the "S$" ... I can see why you picked MSI

    Yeah, I'd get the M12II. It got a bunch of really good reviews. :) For my case, I got the S12II because it saved me some money and I just hid the cables at the back of the MB tray. I have the 912 by the way.

    Good luck with your build.



    Thank you. ^^

    I guess that's enough input, how would I change it to a Solved on the topic?
  9. Just pick a best answer and it happens automagically.
  10. get a 550w, but not much overclocking headroom with it!
  11. p4nz3rm4d said:
    get a 550w, but not much overclocking headroom with it!


    Well this complicates things ._., I'm not familiar with manual overclocking but then again I'm buying a K processor.... Should I just go for the GS600?
  12. ja, good idea.
  13. 520W leaves plenty of room for overclocking.
  14. Agree that Seasonic is amazing. I have the 520w SCII. Workswell (but not as well as my gold certified one!)

    I'm going to intervene here and tell you not to get a 64 gb boot drive. Thats just too small and will be a source of endless headaches. The adobe suite is big, you will struggle to keep windows and all of the Adobe stuff stored even on a 128gb boot drive. 64gb is enough for basically windows only.

    Also, prices have dropped so much that the difference between 128 and 64 is only like $30. Its definitely worth going higher.
  15. Best answer selected by Akha.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product