wackyzman

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
I have an older pentium 4 cpu that I want to wipe the drives and reload windows xp onto my amd platform cpu. I was told that I cant boot my drives onto my current cpu because xp was originally installed on an intel platform. Any help would be appreciated. Thx

That is correct. You need to install the operating system newly on the new hardware.

As long as you own the XP Pro license and have the disk, there are no problems... You simply cannot plug in the hard drives with the OS already installed though.

That's true. Changing from lntel to AMD will definately require a format. Or you can purchase a new boot drive, install windows, then install your old drive while windows is running. It should configure it as a backup drive. I suggest a cheap ssd if you don't already have one. I use this one: http://www.amazon.com/Agility-2-5-Inch-Midrange-Performance-AGT3-25SAT3-60G/dp/B004Z0S6RU/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1339459122&sr=1-2. It's been flawless so far. Newegg (link broken) has a $10 rebate with this drive making the final price $54.99; I received my ocz rebate on this drive. They require the barcode off the back of the ssd, not the one on the package.