Sandybridge vs ivybridge cpu?

kirsty_guiver

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
hi heres my question

i have bought a asus p8z77-v mobo and some corsair xm3 8gb ram

now i initially decided to get a sandybirdge intel i3-2120, however after realising it was a intel hd 2000 was a bit sceptical as i have an intel hd 3000 at the moment on my mac mini which is great

so basically as intel 2000 has half the execution units, will there be a noticable difference in the performance

i do not want a gaming pc, just a pc for casual video editing

lastly if i did go for a intel 3rd gen processsor(* ivy bridge) will it be fine to run alongside these old ram modules?

thanks a bunch =)

Why are you looking at an i3 for a video editing rig? You want to be looking at an i7.

The Intel HD stuff is the CPU's integrated graphics. Since you are not gaming, this isn't a concern. It wont impact video editing performance. That pretty much comes down to how much grunt the CPU can provide and how much RAM you have. How fast your HDD (multiple preferably) can read/write is also a significant factor.

As long as the RAM is DDR3 and 1.5v or less, it will be fine with any modern Intel chip.

I would get the i7-3770K. About the strongest chip you are going to get on the LGA1155 platform, and comes with HD4000 graphics, which is well ahead of HD3000.
If thats priced too high or unwilling to pay that for casual editing, i5-3570k.

InvalidError

Titan

OP said he was doing CASUAL video editing, not semi-professional. The OP says he is happy with his Mac's i3 and was only worried about whether or not downgrading from HD3000 in his Mac to HD2000 on his PC would be a problem.

Now the answer to that would depend on whether or not his video editing software on PC can use Quicksync for encoding/decoding. If it doesn't, there won't be much of a difference.

Since OP bought a z77 board, an i3-3225 would solve his 'problem'.