Sign in with
Your question

Kaplan University online courses/degree?

Tags:
Last response: in Work & Education
June 21, 2011 5:54:39 PM

Has anybody here gotten a degree from Kaplan University primarily using the online courses? Anybody taking courses right now?

I'm starting a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology degree, Applied Technology track (with a concentration in Network Administration), next month and I'd like some feedback and/or reviews of their courses and the degree as a whole.

I had a whole bunch of candidates ranging from American InterContinental University and Colorado Technical University to DeVry University and the University of Phoenix. I chose Kaplan because they had the most informative web site and their tuition wasn't the cheapest nor the most expensive (the range for my candidates was $290-$550 per credit hour). They also charged a fairly normal 'technology/materials' fee per course, unlike the exorbitant fees charged by some others. From what I can tell I've made a good choice, and I hope I can still say that as I get further into the degree program.

Anybody have thoughts on, or experiences with Kaplan University?
June 21, 2011 8:41:07 PM

Why did you choose a college over self study?
June 22, 2011 12:26:11 AM

You're kidding right?

I'm pretty much all self-taught when it comes to computers. I started out helping the tech department at my school during the summer before seventh grade, back when the Apple IIc was king. We had an Apple II GS at home -- man, was that cool! It had a multi-color screen and everything! Later, I helped the school transition to the Macintosh SE (woohoo 20MB hard drive!) and finally the Macintosh LC II during my senior year. Then I got released into the real world and found the Mac had only a very small place in it. I slowly but surely bent my mind around to the "IBM-compatible" way of things, and I haven't looked back. My first PC was a Micron Technology Pentium II 450 that I ordered from their site for $3000. A week later (about 30 minutes after I first set it up) it became my first overclocked machine. Since then, I've built and upgraded and overclocked all of my computers -- no more pre-built for me. I help out my friends and family with any tech problems that crop up.

Unfortunately, all of that experience gets me nothing in the job/career world without paper to back it up. Certifications can only get a person so far. I don't have any family or friends or even acquaintances in the business to help me out. The guided learning available from a college and/or university is the best way to get my foot in the door before I become obsolete. Once I get that diploma, my prospects improve considerably. It's no guarantee of course, but it's a hell of a lot better than nothing.
Related resources
July 19, 2011 9:22:02 AM

Well, since evidently no one here has gone with Kaplan University's online programs (or at least, they haven't deigned to share their experiences with me), I've decided to use this thread as a kind of "build log" for my educational experience.

One thing I've determined is that I'm not yet sold on the Network Administration career focus -- in fact, I'm pretty sure that I want to go a different route. I'm definitely going to stay within the Information Systems Technology school, but there are several career foci that sound good enough to consider -- Information Systems Management, Project Management, and Web Development are my primary candidates now. I'll be using my first few courses to help me firm up my career focus choice.

I'm taking two courses now -- Software Applications and Introduction to Website Development. I have five weeks to decide whether Kaplan is the place for me, and to prove to them that I'm a quality student. This is called the Kaplan Commitment. During that time if I don't like the program or I don't get above a minimum GPA, then they will drop me from the courses and I won't owe them any tuition.
July 20, 2011 4:56:25 PM

After viewing that, here's what I have to say:

"... So?"

Anyway...

I have now completed two units (each week is one unit) of the ten-unit course, and I'm nearly halfway through the Kaplan Commitment phase. During each unit you attend one hour-long live audio seminar and do several posts on the discussion boards for each course you are taking. You are required to do discussion board posts on different days so they are sure that you are paying attention several days a week. The Kaplan week runs from 12:00AM ET Wednesday to 11:59PM ET Tuesday, and most of the seminars are scheduled on Wednesday, Thursday, and Sunday evenings. Most of the seminars are at a fixed time and day every week, but some are on a "flex" schedule. Any assignments for the unit are to be posted in the Drop-box by 11:59PM ET Tuesday night. Each professor has office hours where they are available for live chats using IM programs, plus you can schedule time outside of that by E-mailing them.

I think I've gotten a good routine worked out and I'm quite enjoying my classes. The SoftApps class so far has been a bit redundant for me, as it's just going over the basics of Word right now. Once it delves into the other apps that I haven't used yet it'll be more challenging. In the WebDev class, we'll be hand-coding our own Web site while learning basic HTML, XHTML, CSS, lists, etc.
July 31, 2011 5:18:25 AM

Week three of my first term is done, and I just got registered for the second term. I'll be taking College Composition I and Database Concepts Using Microsoft Access starting in September.

I've also decided on a career focus -- Information Systems Management. That definitely sounds like what I want to be doing, and I can always take some classes in networking and Web development for electives.
August 1, 2011 10:27:42 AM

I like to do online course because it is very flexible and we can do that from everywhere. Thanks for the information about Kaplan university online courses.
August 2, 2011 3:39:03 AM

Thanks for sharing your experience so far.

Out of curiosity, why did you end up steering away from Network Administration and instead want to focus on Information systems management instead?
August 2, 2011 5:23:15 AM

I've already got quite a bit of experience with installation, configuration, and maintenance of networks. What I don't have is experience with the business/management end of things. The ISM focus gives me that. Plus, it leaves me with more elective credits free to take other courses. I think what I'll end up doing is taking some of the networking courses from the NA focus along with the courses from the ISM focus.

The fact that the average ISM salary is so much more than the average NA salary had absolutely nothing to do with my decision... :p 
August 2, 2011 7:12:17 PM

Leaps-from-Shadows said:
After viewing that, here's what I have to say:

"... So?"

I guess you missed that part where the ex-soldier was told his resume would not be considered if it were from a for-profit diploma mill.

August 3, 2011 2:16:50 AM

There are far too many students enrolled in for-profit schools for that attitude to hold up. Today, people are being asked to do far more with their time, and actually attending classes at a brick-and-mortar building consumes far too much of that valuable time. The whole for-profit schools trend is employers' fault anyway.
April 16, 2012 9:03:26 PM

I have not had a direct connection with Kaplan university but I have heard many positive things about the institution. I have read numerous articles about the Kaplan along with the other top accredited online schools in the US and I would highly recommend taking courses through them. One website that I have found that might help is http://www.onlinecollegeclasses.org/facts which has facts about online schooling in general and also specifics about things you might have questions about.

I have heard many good things about Devry university in regards to their web programs and IT department in general. yes they are cheap and like you said Kaplan was the cheapest, but I would also take a look at all of the top accredited online institutions and research the specific programs you are looking for. http://www.top5onlinecolleges.org is a great resource guide to learn about each school including both kaplan and DeVry but this will give you further information on things that might help you out in the future.

hope this helps!

Leaps-from-Shadows said:
Has anybody here gotten a degree from Kaplan University primarily using the online courses? Anybody taking courses right now?

I'm starting a Bachelor of Science in Information Technology degree, Applied Technology track (with a concentration in Network Administration), next month and I'd like some feedback and/or reviews of their courses and the degree as a whole.

I had a whole bunch of candidates ranging from American InterContinental University and Colorado Technical University to DeVry University and the University of Phoenix. I chose Kaplan because they had the most informative web site and their tuition wasn't the cheapest nor the most expensive (the range for my candidates was $290-$550 per credit hour). They also charged a fairly normal 'technology/materials' fee per course, unlike the exorbitant fees charged by some others. From what I can tell I've made a good choice, and I hope I can still say that as I get further into the degree program.

Anybody have thoughts on, or experiences with Kaplan University?

February 18, 2014 4:30:34 AM

nensyronn said:
I like to do online course because it is very flexible and we can do that from everywhere. Thanks for the information about Kaplan university online courses.

Me too find the topic very helpful for me as I am planning to go for Online College Degrees. Thanks once again.
February 18, 2014 4:34:47 AM

Anybody suggest me any quality,accredited online colleges and universities?Please help.
February 18, 2014 10:32:29 AM

I've had a good experience with Cleveland Institute of Electronics. www.cie-wc.edu I enrolled in their Electronics Associate degree and it has enabled me to learn electronics at my own pace.
February 18, 2014 9:20:52 PM

Thanks for your suggestion.
!