• no

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • to soon to tell

Votes: 9 27.3%

• Total voters

COMPUTERGEEK762

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
i think the metro ui BS will keep them from upgrading though they might have a business edition that doesnt have that crap on it or can be disabled

Windows 8 will definitely make it in the workplace, though the adoption rate won't be at the same rate as when Windows 7 shipped. Many businesses didn't have the usual "we're waiting until SP1 shows up, and then we MIGHT upgrade" mindset with 7. With 8, I think we'll go back to that.

Hi The_Prophecy,

Do u think there are going to be lots of switchers from W7?

W7 is mature and stable system. And fast.

I have to get the BSOD yet.

But, you never know....

whatsthatnoise

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Upgrading for the sake of upgrading is something no business should do. It all comes down to improvements that make the upgrade worth it. Which means in business terms, better workflow, more stable system, easier to use, .... whatever thing that actually helps at least to make up for the cost of an upgrade and then some more.

New systems will probably have it anyway (sooner or later) and that's how it will make it's way in the market at first.

When it becomes the standard on new systems, then eventually it will find its way into the workplace, but the curve is like around 5 years after the OS is standard fair on new machines. No business specifically does a major OS upgrade just because there is new OS out there. A lot of larger business's are still running XP. Unless there is a specific need, there is no reason to spend a large amount of money for no return.

Voted No. I feel that large corp. In many cases have just switched to Win 7. Investment cost will outweight the benifits and they will probably skip 8 and go with windows 9. In many cases the purchase of a new computer does not bring with it a new Operating system. The operating system is generally a site liecience.

Small business, Thoes still with XP will probably migrate to 8, thoes with 7 - flip a coin.
With limited Nrs of systems the purchase of a new computer will probably come with the newest operating system. In many cases thoes with win 7 and if fairly new computer, they too may opt to bypass 8 and wait for 9.

Individuals.
.. Store bought systems will be the biggest volume, as most will not have a choice. This will be predicated on turnaround and new system purchases. This group does not typically run out an buy a New operating system for a computer that they bought a year or two ago and is running fine.
.. Home builders. If it rivals "sliced bread" will be quickly upgraded to. Not quite to sliced bread level yet. Had to remove it from laptop as when I booted to it it would cause a problem with a 2nd disk with windows 7 on it.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Voted: NO

I tried myself and even installed on a friend's computer *on an old hard drive*
not to risk his computer in any way. He is NOT tech savy and even he didn't like it.

I imagine that most computer users in an office environment are mostly clueless
when it comes to any technical hardware/software changes, Windows 8 is a huge
mistake, worst than Windows "Me".

That is how I see it too ^, W7 got to be really great OS, so that's why I think,

it will stay longer in the circulation, just like XP.

It comes on fairly fast HW with plenty of RAM. So why to replace it?

Its not only OS that needs to be replaced, but also the line of the custom software.

COMPUTERGEEK762

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

i hadnt thought about the custom software. win8 minus the metro part is almost exactly the same as win7 but win7 is going to be more stable due to not having metro ui i think

COMPUTERGEEK762

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012

I agree. i havnt tried it on a tablet but i think it would be really nice mobile os for anything with a touchsrceen. even when showing it of at the all things digital conference microsoft said they were wanting to get more into the tablet world

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
I think that for many businesses/corporate environments Windows 8 is a no go. However....where it likely will do well in the business environment, is where you have users who travel and want a tablet instead of a notebook. Or they just would like a tablet. Then in that case, I think Windows 8 will fit in, because instead of an ipad or android that does not work with active directory and with your domain resources as well, all of a sudden you've got this Windows tablet that can do much of the same as your standard PC's.

But for your normal users, they'll probably stick to Windows 7 and move to Windows 9.

ejb222

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
YES......Win8 has a definite in with businesses. The company I work for has a huge retail team that uses Windows laptops and handheld devices. Why pay for both when it could be intergrated with a Win8 tablet?(BTW we are over a billion dollar company with thousands of employees.)

This of course is not the only way Win8 could get into businesses, but this is a real world example. I'm sure there are many others out there as well. Just use your imagination and not your distaste of your current experience.

dechy

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2008
Domain admin for a dept. that has more than 25000 users and 40000 desktops/laptops; no chance in hell. Not simply because the UI is downright awkward, but timing, fleet age & budget won't allow it.

The product managers for W7 are still working on a release to our dept.; the amount of insane testing to make sure everything works flawlessly just isn't budget friendly... and we still have 30%+ of our fleet that wouldn't run W7 very well.

We're still on XP, XP was perfect before W7 came out... now I literally won't work on tickets involving XP as I can't stand it anymore. A select few in our dept have had W7 on the domain since it came out (guess which one I am!) Still about a year away from eradicating XP from our networks...

One thing for sure, no way management is going to be OK with re-testing every app for another yearly round of QA... too much money & time needed to upgrade an OS on such a scale when you're still running Fortran/VB3 apps.

@ Home, from what I've seen, I doubt I'll be upgrading to W8.

ejb222

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
You know what's going to happen? 6 months after Win8 is release and is in the process of being rolled out in businesses but isn't quite apparent yet, people are going to come on here and say "I told you so." But I tell you, Win8 is going to be the game changer. People are still denouncing tablets, but they haven't even peaked in potential. People are just too short sighted. Your XP P4 machine is going the way of rotary phones regardless of how perfect you think it is. The reality is, as a IT or admin etc, you just don't see the business plan and capabilities brought in by new tech. Even if tablets are just a fad...youe XP machine will still be gone. Just because Car Phones were a fad and disappeared, doesn't mean people went back to land lines...nope. In came the cell phone and so on. My suggestion is to try to see the visible future for where it's turning rather than hanging your hat on old news my friends.

ejb222

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012

:eek: Thats mighty expensive. I'm sure it's quite the unique situation and most of corparate America doesn't have this issue.

bucknutty

Distinguished
Windows 8 wont work in my office simply because the learning curve is too steep. Our people dont have the time to learn how to navigate thier computers. They need to be able to sit down and go. Not to mention every one of our techs is complaining about the lack of an easy way to get a command prompt or do a file search.

On top of that we are only about 10% migrated to Windows 7 from XP. They will not want to migrate again.

Just about any car dealership in the USA would have to pay $10 000+ in upgrades.

They are cheap to spend the money on PC upgrades, that is why many are on XP, for a while longer.

If its not broken, don't fix it. XP and W7 are here to stay.

I wonder what the price would be.

As I see it, my W7 are just what I want and I don't think I will go for it,

even if it would cost $25. It is not going to be that much difference in performance.

IMHO

But we will see : )

BTW, if I will add a tablet, it just might be the breaker in my vote from NO to YES :D