• no
  • 58 %
  • to soon to tell
  • 28 %
March 23, 2012 3:18:52 AM

Do you think win 8 will make it in the workplace

More about : win make workplace

March 23, 2012 4:52:18 AM

Bad economy, so that will not help upgrades at all.

Only businesses upgrading from the XP or (Vista) might go for it.

No reason to upgrade from the Win7.
March 23, 2012 8:13:46 AM

i think the metro ui BS will keep them from upgrading though they might have a business edition that doesnt have that crap on it or can be disabled
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
March 24, 2012 7:55:24 PM

Small business or home office computer?
If it comes down to using Windows 8 on a new computer or paying extra for a different OS?
What would you guess?
a b * Windows 8
March 25, 2012 9:36:53 AM

Windows 8 will definitely make it in the workplace, though the adoption rate won't be at the same rate as when Windows 7 shipped. Many businesses didn't have the usual "we're waiting until SP1 shows up, and then we MIGHT upgrade" mindset with 7. With 8, I think we'll go back to that.
March 25, 2012 9:52:22 AM

The_Prophecy said:
Windows 8 will definitely make it in the workplace, though the adoption rate won't be at the same rate as when Windows 7 shipped. Many businesses didn't have the usual "we're waiting until SP1 shows up, and then we MIGHT upgrade" mindset with 7. With 8, I think we'll go back to that.

Hi The_Prophecy,

Do u think there are going to be lots of switchers from W7?

W7 is mature and stable system. And fast.

I have to get the BSOD yet.

But, you never know....
March 25, 2012 12:01:23 PM

Upgrading for the sake of upgrading is something no business should do. It all comes down to improvements that make the upgrade worth it. Which means in business terms, better workflow, more stable system, easier to use, .... whatever thing that actually helps at least to make up for the cost of an upgrade and then some more.

New systems will probably have it anyway (sooner or later) and that's how it will make it's way in the market at first.

March 25, 2012 2:19:19 PM

When it becomes the standard on new systems, then eventually it will find its way into the workplace, but the curve is like around 5 years after the OS is standard fair on new machines. No business specifically does a major OS upgrade just because there is new OS out there. A lot of larger business's are still running XP. Unless there is a specific need, there is no reason to spend a large amount of money for no return.
a b * Windows 8
March 25, 2012 2:21:07 PM

Voted No. I feel that large corp. In many cases have just switched to Win 7. Investment cost will outweight the benifits and they will probably skip 8 and go with windows 9. In many cases the purchase of a new computer does not bring with it a new Operating system. The operating system is generally a site liecience.

Small business, Thoes still with XP will probably migrate to 8, thoes with 7 - flip a coin.
With limited Nrs of systems the purchase of a new computer will probably come with the newest operating system. In many cases thoes with win 7 and if fairly new computer, they too may opt to bypass 8 and wait for 9.

Individuals.
.. Store bought systems will be the biggest volume, as most will not have a choice. This will be predicated on turnaround and new system purchases. This group does not typically run out an buy a New operating system for a computer that they bought a year or two ago and is running fine.
.. Home builders. If it rivals "sliced bread" will be quickly upgraded to. Not quite to sliced bread level yet. Had to remove it from laptop as when I booted to it it would cause a problem with a 2nd disk with windows 7 on it.
March 25, 2012 2:39:51 PM

Voted: NO

I tried myself and even installed on a friend's computer *on an old hard drive*
not to risk his computer in any way. He is NOT tech savy and even he didn't like it.

I imagine that most computer users in an office environment are mostly clueless
when it comes to any technical hardware/software changes, Windows 8 is a huge
mistake, worst than Windows "Me".
a b * Windows 8
March 25, 2012 3:29:32 PM

Hi :) 

YES ..ever seen a MS OS that didnt ?

All the best Brett :) 
a b * Windows 8
March 25, 2012 3:41:33 PM

^ Vista (which was skipped by a large number of Corp.) and ME come to mind.
March 25, 2012 3:50:40 PM

RetiredChief said:
^ Vista (which was skipped by a large number of Corp.) and ME come to mind.

That is how I see it too ^, W7 got to be really great OS, so that's why I think,

it will stay longer in the circulation, just like XP.

It comes on fairly fast HW with plenty of RAM. So why to replace it?

Its not only OS that needs to be replaced, but also the line of the custom software.
March 25, 2012 8:22:29 PM

nikorr said:
That is how I see it too ^, W7 got to be really great OS, so that's why I think,

it will stay longer in the circulation, just like XP.

It comes on fairly fast HW with plenty of RAM. So why to replace it?

Its not only OS that needs to be replaced, but also the line of the custom software.

i hadnt thought about the custom software. win8 minus the metro part is almost exactly the same as win7 but win7 is going to be more stable due to not having metro ui i think
March 25, 2012 8:26:04 PM

What will make the sale numbers, are the tablets, n*books and OEM licences, IMHO.
March 25, 2012 8:43:44 PM

nikorr said:
What will make the sale numbers, are the tablets, n*books and OEM licences, IMHO.

I agree. i havnt tried it on a tablet but i think it would be really nice mobile os for anything with a touchsrceen. even when showing it of at the all things digital conference microsoft said they were wanting to get more into the tablet world
a b * Windows 8
March 25, 2012 9:42:51 PM

Probably great for small notebooks, and the ultra thin notebooks - Just like an overgrown tablet.
March 26, 2012 4:56:34 AM

I think that for many businesses/corporate environments Windows 8 is a no go. However....where it likely will do well in the business environment, is where you have users who travel and want a tablet instead of a notebook. Or they just would like a tablet. Then in that case, I think Windows 8 will fit in, because instead of an ipad or android that does not work with active directory and with your domain resources as well, all of a sudden you've got this Windows tablet that can do much of the same as your standard PC's.

But for your normal users, they'll probably stick to Windows 7 and move to Windows 9.
March 26, 2012 4:51:12 PM

YES......Win8 has a definite in with businesses. The company I work for has a huge retail team that uses Windows laptops and handheld devices. Why pay for both when it could be intergrated with a Win8 tablet?(BTW we are over a billion dollar company with thousands of employees.)

This of course is not the only way Win8 could get into businesses, but this is a real world example. I'm sure there are many others out there as well. Just use your imagination and not your distaste of your current experience.
March 26, 2012 5:21:50 PM

Domain admin for a dept. that has more than 25000 users and 40000 desktops/laptops; no chance in hell. Not simply because the UI is downright awkward, but timing, fleet age & budget won't allow it.

The product managers for W7 are still working on a release to our dept.; the amount of insane testing to make sure everything works flawlessly just isn't budget friendly... and we still have 30%+ of our fleet that wouldn't run W7 very well.

We're still on XP, XP was perfect before W7 came out... now I literally won't work on tickets involving XP as I can't stand it anymore. A select few in our dept have had W7 on the domain since it came out (guess which one I am!) Still about a year away from eradicating XP from our networks...

One thing for sure, no way management is going to be OK with re-testing every app for another yearly round of QA... too much money & time needed to upgrade an OS on such a scale when you're still running Fortran/VB3 apps.

@ Home, from what I've seen, I doubt I'll be upgrading to W8.
March 26, 2012 5:41:40 PM

You know what's going to happen? 6 months after Win8 is release and is in the process of being rolled out in businesses but isn't quite apparent yet, people are going to come on here and say "I told you so." But I tell you, Win8 is going to be the game changer. People are still denouncing tablets, but they haven't even peaked in potential. People are just too short sighted. Your XP P4 machine is going the way of rotary phones regardless of how perfect you think it is. The reality is, as a IT or admin etc, you just don't see the business plan and capabilities brought in by new tech. Even if tablets are just a fad...youe XP machine will still be gone. Just because Car Phones were a fad and disappeared, doesn't mean people went back to land lines...nope. In came the cell phone and so on. My suggestion is to try to see the visible future for where it's turning rather than hanging your hat on old news my friends.
a b * Windows 8
March 26, 2012 5:59:42 PM

^ Just like windows 3.11 is gone - OOPs I'm still using it today to control Some Flight hardware. Yes the cost to upgrade this single peice of harware is >$100 K
March 26, 2012 6:15:26 PM

RetiredChief said:
^ Just like windows 3.11 is gone - OOPs I'm still using it today to control Some Flight harware. Yes the cost to upgrad this single peice of harware is >$100 K

:o  Thats mighty expensive. I'm sure it's quite the unique situation and most of corparate America doesn't have this issue.
March 26, 2012 6:24:12 PM

Windows 8 wont work in my office simply because the learning curve is too steep. Our people dont have the time to learn how to navigate thier computers. They need to be able to sit down and go. Not to mention every one of our techs is complaining about the lack of an easy way to get a command prompt or do a file search.

On top of that we are only about 10% migrated to Windows 7 from XP. They will not want to migrate again.
March 26, 2012 6:29:42 PM

ejb222 said:
:o  Thats mighty expensive. I'm sure it's quite the unique situation and most of corparate America doesn't have this issue.

Just about any car dealership in the USA would have to pay $10 000+ in upgrades.

They are cheap to spend the money on PC upgrades, that is why many are on XP, for a while longer.

If its not broken, don't fix it. XP and W7 are here to stay.

I wonder what the price would be.

As I see it, my W7 are just what I want and I don't think I will go for it,

even if it would cost $25. It is not going to be that much difference in performance.

IMHO

But we will see : )

BTW, if I will add a tablet, it just might be the breaker in my vote from NO to YES :D 
March 26, 2012 6:47:56 PM

Realistically NO...
Most Corporations will not overhaul upgrade for new win8 os. The main reasons would be:
1. Money (cost/benefit)
2. Software/Hardware (will it run on new os)... This was a problem from xp to 7 even with xp mode, waited few years for new software and had to purchase it.
3. Equipment(touchscreen or touch mouse) distraction?...
4. Training (think about the old people or computer illiterates and times that by 200+)
This is just from my past experience... was really hard for IT to tell the ceo hey lets go from xp to windows 7 and server 2003 to 2008... but I can see this working for small scale business staff 10-50... more creative younger people doing web designing, photo editing, etc... just my thought.
March 26, 2012 6:52:24 PM

I vote "to soon to tell"

Win7 is very stable OS to get today. But beginning lol tell me about. Here problem there problem. It fixed then software problems...

Well First time we having Win7 at the beginning waste too much time on fix software and hardware problems.

I really don't want to spend lots of money to upgrade my business OS that have to face another problems like that.

I have 10 employee and half of them i force to use ubuntu, and rest mac os and win7.

So far so good.

Linux user... yeah now they are ok after when they get used to it.

Each time new OS come out... my pocket blooding and waist too much time on it exp Ubuntu.

Therefore i will wait til win8 sp1 or all os turn into ubuntu.
March 26, 2012 7:09:02 PM

I used windows 8 for a bout a month, i dont see the point. Touch interface?
I know this is off on a tangent, but I spent many years repairing and working on touch screen windows based cash registers. I can tell you workin on a touch screen sucks. Even the best touch screens are not as acurate as a mouse with out a fancy stylus.
Its not a comfortable way to work holding your arms straight out. And if you tilt the screen back to work in that way then your hands and arms are blocking much of the screen causing you to have to move your arms all over the place. Moving from keyboard to mouse is like 3 or 4 inches and they are on a level plane. Going from screen to keboard is awkward and like a foot or even 2. Its a slower transition. I dont think touch screens on PC will go very far. They are fun for a hour or 2 then your arms get tired and you realize you have a 10 hour shift.
!