New Computer, Really Slow and Weird FPS

acercut

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
So I got a new refurbished gaming computer about 2 weeks ago and everything was fine whilst it was on Windows XP. Fps on my games were great and the computer in whole was speedy. Upgraded to Windows 7 (The disc is legit, purchased from PC World and used twice before). And everything went to hell. I struggle to run any games at a stable fps, I range from about 10-20 fps on minecraft and runescape. Everything on my computer just seems so slow, it can have its moments but rarely. I have reduced all my system settings, and i'm using my computer in classic view mode. Can anyone help me please!?

Here are my Specs:

CPU: 2 x Intel Xeon Processor 3.0 GHz - 800MHz FSB - 64-Bit - (1MB L2 cache)

RAM: 4 GB (4 x 1 GB) PC2-3200R DDR2-400 ECC

Hard Disk Controller: Integrated serial ATA (SATA) controller - RAID 0 & 1

Hard Disk Drive: 160GB 7200 rpm SATA Hard Drive Installed

Graphics Card: XFX (ATI) HD5450 - 1 GB GDDR3 - PCIe - VGA, DVI & HDMI Output (BRAND NEW)

Audio: AC’97/16-bit stereo full-duplex

Network: Integrated Broadcom 5751 10/100/1000 LAN

Any help is highly appreciated!
thanks, Acercut

The Intel® Xeon™ Processor running at 3.0GHz with a 800 FSB (1MB of L2 cache) and the board (E7520 chipset) that support them are very old and I think that you are finding that there is at least some conflicts with Windows 7. The chipset/board was released in 2004. I think if you went back to Windows XP you would be able to run well agian.

darren0000

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
i would also download ccleaner, clean registry, disc cleanup, disk defrag, make sure u have all the latest drivers. also run a health check on the hdd, also startup in safe mode and see if its fast, if so something ,maybe causing issues, driver etc

If those are the Xeon's that I think they are, they're only single core/single thread CPU's, anyway, so they're nothing special (basically like a single dual core CPU). That combined with the fact that they're very old and slow doesn't help matters.

Also, the GPU is pretty terrible too. A 5450 is pretty near the absolute bottom of the barrel.

I tend to agree with Christian, though, that the whole system is just having issues with Win 7. It was never meant to be used with Win 7. Go back to XP.