My computer wont turn on, it did just 2 days ago

flukemmviii

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Hello, about a month ago i upgraded my hp pavillion p6-2022uk with a 750W powercool PSU and an asus geforce 560ti.

The pc specs are
Core-i3 2120 3.3ghz
6gb ram

Now the computer turn on properly a few days ago, and before that I did experience that everytime i uplugged the cord the computer wouldnt turn on for a few seconds so i had to wait, now it just doesnt turn on at all...

what do i do?

If I had to guess, the "750W" Powercool is a PSU-shaped object, and it died for any one of the reasons that such cheap junk dies. Hopefully it did not take any other parts with it.
Temporarily remove your 560Ti, put back your original PSU, and see if your system works. If it does, look for a quality modern PSU. It will have some level of 80+ certification; it's not the efficiency, but that it was run at 100% of its label during testing. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, Enermax/LEPA, XFX, new FSP, and new Rosewill (only if 80+) are all decent.

darren0000

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012

can u tell me why u think or hope it didnt take nothing with it as psu's are disigned to blow a resistor withing the psu itself isolating itself from any other part in your pc unless theres a power surge? quality inspector/ assurance

darren0000

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
its actually nothing to do with your psu, its one of your components that usually cause your psu to blow or a power supply, over clocking your pc is the biggest culprit, using the wrong voltages for a start will certainly ruin your pc, if you get a cheap psu and use it for normal use ie no overclocking etc etc it will be fine.

Cheap PSU-shaped objects generally omit filters, protection circuits, and other components that cost money. Worse, some claim to have those things, even if they don't (case in point: some cheaper CM units claim to have OCP, but the components for that function are not installed on their circuit boards). Darren, I would suggest you read some of the competent technical reviews of PSUs, especially at www.hardwaresecrets.com. The tutorial articles there will also explain a lot about PSUs, and the differences between a good one and cheap junk.
An OEM PC like an HP will have a locked BIOS, and overclocking will likely not be possible at all; certainly not to the point of stressing a PSU. His system would run well on a quality 450W-500W PSU. His "750W" PSU-shaped object is likely good for 350W-400W, and that probably not cleanly.

davidgermain

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2005
Check all your connections.
Make sure the mains input is actually live?
Do you have any lights on the system?
When you plug in the mains lead, does the PSU fan twitch?
Is there a switch on the back of the PSU?
Is there a funny smell form the PSU?
The PSU is a month old - warrenty?
Why did you upgrade the PSU in the first place?
Don't spend big money on a fancy name PSU

"The ASUS GeForce GTX 560 1GB video card requires a 550 Watt or greater power supply with a minimum of 38 Amps on the +12 volt rail. It also requires that the power supply has two 6-pin PCI Express power connectors for proper connection. It should be noted that the NVIDIA minimum system power requirement is based on a PC configured with an Intel Core i7 3.2GHz CPU. If you want to run SLI we have been told that a 650 Watt or greater power supply is suggested by NVIDIA"

flukemmviii

Honorable
Oct 11, 2012
Well none of you guys seem to have guessed the problem except for david germain, one of cables going into the motherboard power supply wasnt it all the way therefore the computer wouldnt start, it is working now, thanks anyway :p