Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

$2000-$3000 gaming build

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 11, 2012 9:43:23 PM

Hey guys I'm trying out for a new build


Approximate Purchase Date: In a few weeks when i get enough money

Budget Range: $2000-$3000 Before / After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, movies, minecraft server

Parts Not Required: 32" monitor 60Hz(might sell later so i can do triple screen or just switch to 120Hz), OS, HDD

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: i have a microcenter near by, got prime for amazon, and newegg

Country: US

Parts Preferences: i have a NZXT M59 - 001BK and i absolutely hate it, cable management is horrid and the only thing it is good for is the dimensions because my desk is small top to bottom but i still got a lot of room on the side for my desk. there is about 1"-2" extra space from the top, kind of like the 500R white looks so i am leaning over to it, i need at least 2 available PCI-E 1x slots for mobo,.

also another thing i need some comments on is
1) i need a new router, i still have a router that is G-band and it doesn't cover enough of my house
2) i need a new modem for comcast, a friend said to get a surfboard
3) i need something to run a minecraft server that run smoothly(upgrading bandwidth) but i need other options to make it run better for around 30+ people

Overclocking: Yes / No / Maybe (won't hurt if i have it available right?)

SLI or Crossfire: Yes / No / Maybe (it seems i might have some extra dough to get 2 GPUs)

Monitor Resolution: i want a triple screen 1080p res(don't know what the res really is)

Additional Comments: i want some extra fans in my case i do not know what to get, wanting to get with H100 with 4 fans but i don't know if i have enough space, and i want to get ram with heatsinks since the last rams i had got very hot frequently, i need mouse and keyboard hopefully for gaming, i have an old sound card and i might just give it to my brother so i need a new one, i would like LED fans but i want the option to turn it off and on since my computer is in the living room and some people sleep over, and i might need a monitor stand for 3x monitors

More about : 2000 3000 gaming build

June 11, 2012 10:05:32 PM

Try not to include the router and modem in your budget. Your modem should be provided for you by your ISP, and if it's down then they should provide a replacement as long as you have an active account - no need to buy one. You do not need a sound card anymore when the built in audio on your motherboard will work fine.

The H100 isn't necessary either as a D14 will give you the same results and is far safer.

Try this:

Case: Corsair Carbide 500R - $139.99 ($10.00 MIR)
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKII 750W - $109.99 ($20.00 MIR)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H - $199.99
CPU: 3.4GHz Intel Core i5-3570K - $239.99
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 - $85.99
RAM: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz 1.5V - $49.99
SSD: 128GB OCZ Vertex 4 - $129.99
HD: 2TB Samsung Ecogreen F4 - $119.99
Optical: LG Blu Ray Burner - $79.99
Video Card: EVGA Geforce GTX 670 FTW - $419.99 ($10.00 MIR)
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium - $99.99

Total: $1,682.89 - $40.00 MIR = $1,642.89

Add whatever peripherals you want and you're good to go.
m
0
l
June 11, 2012 10:13:37 PM

Retracted because g-unit1111 pointed out the flaws in the build.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 11, 2012 10:25:59 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Try not to include the router and modem in your budget. Your modem should be provided for you by your ISP, and if it's down then they should provide a replacement as long as you have an active account - no need to buy one. You do not need a sound card anymore when the built in audio on your motherboard will work fine.

The H100 isn't necessary either as a D14 will give you the same results and is far safer.

Try this:

Case: Corsair Carbide 500R - $139.99 ($10.00 MIR)
PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKII 750W - $109.99 ($20.00 MIR)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H - $199.99
CPU: 3.4GHz Intel Core i5-3570K - $239.99
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 - $85.99
RAM: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz 1.5V - $49.99
SSD: 128GB OCZ Vertex 4 - $129.99
HD: 2TB Samsung Ecogreen F4 - $119.99
Optical: LG Blu Ray Burner - $79.99
Video Card: EVGA Geforce GTX 670 FTW - $419.99 ($10.00 MIR)
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium - $99.99

Total: $1,682.89 - $40.00 MIR = $1,642.89

Add whatever peripherals you want and you're good to go.



isn't the i5 3570k better priced at microcenter?
i do not need another HDD as i already have a extra TB
i do not think i will be needing a blu ray as i can just stream/download high quality
i do not what ram with no heatsinks or low profile ram
i want a modular power supply
since i already have an HDD i was planning on putting more money to get a 250+GB SSD
the EVGA ftw looks like stock reference i was thinking of getting something with a dual/triple fan
i still need opinions on fans, i do not really like stock fans as they are usually loud

of course the router will not be part of the build i just need suggestions

i wanted to get a modem so i do not have to pay the extra $7 per month fee
if a modem only last for 12 months or less than i can just use the warranty
i will most likely buy a 2 year warranty which is about $102 plus the modem
m
0
l
June 11, 2012 10:35:20 PM

Patflute said:
i7-3930k - $600
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 -$60
GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 LGA 2011 Intel X79 - $280 (sale on Newegg)
Corsair Carbide Series 500R - $140
CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 850 watt - $180
2xNvidia Geforce GTX 680s - $1100
h100 - $120
DVD Drive - $20
Windows 7 Home Premium - $100
Crucial M4 128gb SSD - $125
Western Digital Caviar Blue HDD 1tb - $110

=$2, 830


I don't know anything about routers or peripherals really. I didn't put the stand and sound card as well. I'm sure you can fit everything else you need in the money left over. You should go with g-unit1111's if you don't want to spend so much or you need more money for the peripherals.


i will most likely go with a i5 3570k, i don't think i need anything high grade professional stuff like a i7 3930k

if anything i think i will go with 670 or a ASUS model/ Gigabyte 680 model
m
0
l
June 11, 2012 10:45:42 PM

Revised with your critiques and some stuff from g-unit1111:
i5-3570k - $240
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 -$60
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - $200
Corsair Carbide Series 500R - $140
CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 850 watt - $180
2xNvidia Geforce GTX 680s - $1100
Noctua NH-D14 - $85.99
DVD Drive - $20
Windows 7 Home Premium - $100
Crucial M4 128gb SSD - $125

=$2, 251

I really suggest getting two 680s if you're going to do 3 monitors and game on the highest details. The RAM has a heat spreader. Power supply is modular :) 
m
0
l
June 11, 2012 10:52:37 PM

This case down below was just released on the market a few months ago and Cooler Master gave it all the latest bells and whistles.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-RC-922XM-KKN1-Exter... $129.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
COOLER MASTER HAF XM RC-922XM-KKN1 Black Mesh, Plastic, Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6821 <----- another look at that case along with links to professional online reviews

I added just this one to the build, but two of these fans couldn't hurt. One for the side and one for up top.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Computer-Cooling-R4... $15.87 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
Cooler Master Computer Case Cooling R4-LUS-07AR-GP (Red) 200mm Megflow fan

This XFX psu down below is manufactured by Seasonic, it gives you plenty of headroom for two of those cards and it's semi- modular which makes for a nice clean build without the clutter of unused cables.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $137.99 - $127.99 after mail-in rebate card
XFX PRO750W XXX Edition Semi-Modular 80Plus Silver 750 Watt Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... $264.98 save: $15.00 FREE SHIPPING
ASRock Z77 Extreme6 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/z77-extreme6-z77a-g... <----- review of that board w/benchmarks done here on Toms

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z77%20Extreme6/ <---- another look at that board along with a link to the latest bios

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml... $189.99
Intel Core i5 3570K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 Processor

The IB cpu o/c to an easy 4.2Ghz without adding voltage (no heat). 4.2Ghz is equivalent to 4.5Ghz on a Sandy Bridge cpu performance wise. Check the benches.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005O65JXI/ref=ox_sc_a... $35.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

Solid low profile RAM so you don't impede any decent size after market cpu h/s.

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Profile-PC3-128... $54.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8 GB (2x4GB) PC3-12800 1600mhz 240-Pin DDR3 Dual Channel Memory Kit SDRAM CML8GX3M2A1600C9

This GTX 670 down below comes with excellent non reference cooling which makes for great over clocking.

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=AS-670DC2G $424.99 Free Shipping
ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2GB DDR5 2DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card - GTX670-DC2-2GD5

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-... <----- reviews of that card w/benchmarks

This Sanddisk down below uses Toggle Nand controller. It's 240GB seeing how a 120 - 128GB SSD fills up faster than you would think. Anything less than 240GB - 256GB is just a small taste of what you will end up wanting for space. Just make sure you check the Sandisk site for any new firmware updates as you should with all SSD's.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006EKJ8UI/ref=pd_lpo_... $223.00 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
SanDisk Extreme SSD 240GB SATA 6.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive- SDSSDX-240G-G25

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-24xDVD-RW-Serial-Internal-DR... $16.99 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black)

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Buil... $99.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (Full) System Builder DVD 1 Pack

Here's a top of the line dual band gaming router. You can also find this router on amazon with free shipping.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $178.99 FREE SHIPPING
ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router, DD-WRT Open Source support, IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n, IEEE 802.3/3u/3ab

And the dual band wireless card to match that router.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $44.99 FREE SHIPPING
TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Wireless N Dual Band Adapter IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n PCI Express x1 Up to 450Mbps Wireless Data Rates Support 64/128 bit WEP, WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK, 802.1x


Total: $1,818.75 *not including shippping & rebates



*** 3 x's these monitors down below for a triple monitor set up

http://www.amazon.com/VS228H-P-21-5-Inch-Full-HD-Monito... $129.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
ASUS VS228H-P 21.5-Inch Full-HD LED Monitor (Black) | LED Backlit with 50,000,000:1 ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio; Full 1080P with HDMI


*** Or one solid 120Hz LED Gaming monitor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E... <---- 3D isn't all that imo, but the 120Hz LED makes it bright and game play smooth as butter. 3D is just an option to choose to use or don't use.
m
0
l
June 11, 2012 10:55:08 PM

eh... I'll give it a shot on my suggestion:

CPU: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml... 2700k (some reason current MC website doesn't seem to have any 3770k. I'd suggest those if I could've) $280+tax
Mobo: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml... $160 + tax (its this price due to microcenter offering $50 off for mobo when you get a K series cpu)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600 $60 (from the above poster)
PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 850 watt - $180 (ditto)
Case: Antec P280 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $120 (have the case, love it. Its fat though)
GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... x2 for around $820 + shipping
HDD: seagate 1.5 tb - $100
SSD: samsung 256gb - $300 (yes its expensive but i've heard really good things about their reliability)
Windows 7 premium - $100
CD/DVD drive for around $30 at most

All this for around $2,000ish. Though I'm not sure if i missed anything

m
0
l
June 11, 2012 10:58:56 PM

sander3 said:
isn't the i5 3570k better priced at microcenter?
i do not need another HDD as i already have a extra TB
i do not think i will be needing a blu ray as i can just stream/download high quality
i do not what ram with no heatsinks or low profile ram
i want a modular power supply
since i already have an HDD i was planning on putting more money to get a 250+GB SSD
the EVGA ftw looks like stock reference i was thinking of getting something with a dual/triple fan
i still need opinions on fans, i do not really like stock fans as they are usually loud

of course the router will not be part of the build i just need suggestions

i wanted to get a modem so i do not have to pay the extra $7 per month fee
if a modem only last for 12 months or less than i can just use the warranty
i will most likely buy a 2 year warranty which is about $102 plus the modem


1. If you have a Microcenter nearby - great. This is just to give you some ideas.

2. That's fine - you can always reuse your existing drive. That's also fine if you don't need BD-R.

3. You need low profile RAM if you're working with any sort of aftermarket fan. The tall heat sinks don't do anything and can actually make building your system really difficult and in some cases will actually obstruct your system's air flow.

4. I'm personally not a fan of modular PSUs as (if you're like me) - you're likely to lose the crucial cables you need and the modular PSUs I've used caused nothing but problems left and right, I'm going non-modular from here on out. Modular makes sense in cases where there's extremely tight space constraints but if you get something like the Corsair 500R you don't have that problem.

5. 128GB is really all you need for an SSD - store all your games and large files on the secondary, it makes no difference in terms of how your system performs.

6. Do *NOT* waste your money on aftermarket warranties - most stores *COUGH* Best Buy *COUGH* really hose you on these and they're actually pretty worthless. The manufacturers have their own warranties and support systems and most are really good about honoring them. But if you buy store warranties you're really just throwing money down the drain.

Quote:
i7-3930k - $600
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 -$60
GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 LGA 2011 Intel X79 - $280 (sale on Newegg)
Corsair Carbide Series 500R - $140
CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 850 watt - $180
2xNvidia Geforce GTX 680s - $1100
h100 - $120
DVD Drive - $20
Windows 7 Home Premium - $100
Crucial M4 128gb SSD - $125
Western Digital Caviar Blue HDD 1tb - $110


=$2, 830


X79 isn't needed for a gaming system and the 2 x 4GB configuration won't work with an LGA 2011 build - you'll need 4 x 2GB or 4 x 4GB to get the proper quad channel functionality. Plus you'll need Windows 7 Pro so if you do need to add more RAM later on it's not wasted. Home Premium will only address up to 16GB RAM, Pro does away with that limitation. And if you're going X79 you do not want to have that limitation.

Don't waste money on the H100 either when the D14 will give you the same results.
m
0
l
June 11, 2012 11:28:58 PM

i5 3570k- http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml... 190$

Gigabye GA-Z77-UD5H- http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml... 140$ (when bundled with the i5 3570k)

Galaxy GTX 670 2gb- http://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-GeForce-Express-Graphics-6... 450$ (Just add a second card for SLI if you get 3 monitors)

Samsung 830 256gb- http://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-7PC2... 249$

Mushkin 8gb 1600mhz- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 49$ Tall heatsinks are gimmicks. DDR3 memory does not produce that much heat at all so low profile heatsinks are fine for dispersing the low amounts of heat and are functional compared to the tall heatsinks.

Rosewill Capstone 750-M- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 140$

Asus DVD Burner- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 22$

Windows 7 Home Premium OEM- http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Buil... 100$

Cooler Master Hyper 612- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 50$ This is plenty of cooling for Ivy Bridge. I wouldn't push it past its stock voltage when overclocking because it causes extreme amounts of heat.

Antec Eleven Hundred- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... 100$

Gelid 120mm Fan- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... x3=30$ (2 for the front intake and 1 to replace the loud stock 120mm fan)

Total=1520$
If you want to add another HDD there is money left for that and monitors, as well as your router and modem.
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 12:40:45 AM

i like why_me's build but i think the case will be a bit to big
i prefer something flashy for a case but has the option to turn off LED's like 500R

i heard sandisk isn't that popular can you explain why you choose this and i heard samsung 830 is a better choice

i live near a microcenter so is there any choice of doing cpu+mobo combo over there(since i think they limit the z77 boards)

also it seems the ram you choose cost more than other low profile ram is there any significant difference from them?

and to g-unit
i thought that if the game was inside the SSD it would load faster than if it was in an HDD.

so is the heatsinks on Ram useless?

also i want to ask if there are any good 3x monitor stands that you have used and liked or one that is just popular
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 1:35:45 AM

sander3 said:


and to g-unit
i thought that if the game was inside the SSD it would load faster than if it was in an HDD.

so is the heatsinks on Ram useless?

also i want to ask if there are any good 3x monitor stands that you have used and liked or one that is just popular


Short answer:

1. No

2. Yes

3. Check out XFX's three monitor stand - a bit pricey but it allows you to use 3 displays in portrait mode.
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 1:58:25 AM

g-unit1111 said:
Short answer:

1. No

2. Yes

3. Check out XFX's three monitor stand - a bit pricey but it allows you to use 3 displays in portrait mode.


i have seen some videos of SSD loading faster than HDD in games like WoW though
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 3:30:16 AM

sander3 said:
i have seen some videos of SSD loading faster than HDD in games like WoW though


A fast SSD as your primary will not affect the performance of your second, third, fourth HDs. The drives work independently of each other and not in sync with each other - unless you have RAID 0 setup but that's a whole different topic.
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 5:25:59 AM

sander3 said:
i like why_me's build but i think the case will be a bit to big
i prefer something flashy for a case but has the option to turn off LED's like 500R

i heard sandisk isn't that popular can you explain why you choose this and i heard samsung 830 is a better choice

i live near a microcenter so is there any choice of doing cpu+mobo combo over there(since i think they limit the z77 boards)

also it seems the ram you choose cost more than other low profile ram is there any significant difference from them?

and to g-unit
i thought that if the game was inside the SSD it would load faster than if it was in an HDD.

so is the heatsinks on Ram useless?

also i want to ask if there are any good 3x monitor stands that you have used and liked or one that is just popular

The front fan of that CM case has an LED on/off switch but not for the side fan and top fan. Like you pointed out it's a draw back. Corsair Carbide series cases do have that LED on/off for all the fans. Corsair 500R also has a multi channel fan controller. Just check the measurements to make sure it fits wherever you plan on putting it.


Sandisk like most SSD brands makes two lines of SSD's. One is aynsnchornous and the other...the top of the line Sandisk is that Sandisk "Extreme" series which uses toggle nand. Your top of the line SSD's use toggle nand other than Samsung which makes it's own controller and it's a good one, and Intel has their own controller for their SSD's.

As far as having a 120GB SSD vs say a 240GB SSD there is a difference. I have friends who don't download music, movies, etc... and all they use is a 512GB SSD...it's their only drive and it's for pure gaming and nothing else. Load up a map (level) in any game on a SSD and your going to be in the map locked and loaded while the peeps on a mechanical drive are still waiting to DL the map before they even come in.
It's a crime to recommend a small SSD with a budget like yours. SSD's use 8GB min for cache, storage, etc... so that's 8GB of unusable storage right off the bat. So if you purchase a 120GB SSD your looking at 112GB of usable space. Now how much space to games like BF3 take up on a SSD? A use a crap load of space not to mention what Windows 7 uses. For $220 that SSD is a steal imo. You get a small SSD and your going to kick yourself in the arse for not sizing up when you had the chance. Don't cheat yourself. No matter what brand of SSD don't look at anything smaller than a 240GB SSD if this is a gaming build.

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?... <---- I looked for those $50 off specials on the Z77 boards @ micocenter but I'm not seeing it.

As far as those tall cake cutter h/s on the RAM...yes they are a gimmick. Not many people o/c their RAM these days seeing how RAM speed doesn't influence o/c the CPU like it used to when you had to move up your FSB in order to get a decent o/c on your cpu. Those days are over with since socket 1155 hit the shelves.
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 2:17:56 PM

I'd like to just comment that the microcenter deal is when you put an unlocked K series CPU into your shopping cart it automatically makes the next 1155 socket mobo 50 dollars off. Try it its pretty cool :D 
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 4:10:07 PM

koshadows said:
I'd like to just comment that the microcenter deal is when you put an unlocked K series CPU into your shopping cart it automatically makes the next 1155 socket mobo 50 dollars off. Try it its pretty cool :D 

If that's the case I would switch boards then to this one down below.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml... $139.99 w/purchase of 3570K
ASUS P8Z77-V LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 5:38:08 PM

g-unit1111 said:
A fast SSD as your primary will not affect the performance of your second, third, fourth HDs. The drives work independently of each other and not in sync with each other - unless you have RAID 0 setup but that's a whole different topic.


if that is the reason why do you recommend a 128GB SSD instead of a 64GB as a 64GB will be enough for boot and you can put games in the HDD

would you mind explaining
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 5:39:58 PM

thanks for the reply @why_me

if that is the case, should i just go for a 500+ SSD since i do not need a HDD as i already have one?
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 6:11:32 PM

sander3 said:
thanks for the reply @why_me

if that is the case, should i just go for a 500+ SSD since i do not need a HDD as i already have one?

If you already have a storage drive then ya, either a 480GB or 512GB although a 240GB - 256GB gives you plenty of space. So maybe look at those first.. That $100 for the storage drive can be applied to a larger SSD. And here's the key to that one. They literally change the prices on SSD's every day. So the day your going to purchase check the prices...and check newegg vs amazon. Sometimes you find the same one for $20 or even cheaper on said site...it rotates.

Samsung, Sandisk, A-data, Kingston, Crucial, etc... there's some quality SSD's out there now.


http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E... <---- 240 GB SSD SATA 3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E... <----- 256GB SSD SATA 3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E... <----- 480GB SSD SATA 3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E... <---- 512GB SSD SATA 3

Then you go to google and type in something like " 480 GB SSD Amazon " and your going to get a crap load of SSD's that show up, when you click on one they link from one SSD to another....it takes time but sometime you can save up to $50 doing that.


http://www.anandtech.com/show/5710/the-adata-xpg-sx900-... <----- that's what I was explaining about losing that space right away.
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 6:46:20 PM

i will be going with Why_me's build since G-unit does not provide enough/ as much information as Why_me

thanks for everyone else in helping me pick parts

i have one more question

500R vs 600T
i heard 500R cools better but that's only if you leave at stock fans
i will be replacing fans and if i do will the 600T cool better/just as good as 500R

also need some opinions on some fans for the case
trying to go for some Blue led fans/strips and i want to look into the case
want kind of like a white/blue look
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 6:49:55 PM

sander3 said:
i will be going with Why_me's build since G-unit does not provide enough/ as much information as Why_me

thanks for everyone else in helping me pick parts

i have one more question

500R vs 600T
i heard 500R cools better but that's only if you leave at stock fans
i will be replacing fans and if i do will the 600T cool better/just as good as 500R

also need some opinions on some fans for the case
trying to go for some Blue led fans/strips and i want to look into the case
want kind of like a white/blue look

The 500R has better thermals and is a better case all around imo. The 600T runs those tiny 120mm fans that sound like a buzz saw when running at full speed. For the Blue LED fans look at the Cooler Master fans. Cooler Master makes that 200mm Blue LED Megaflow fan...cheaper @ amazon, and they also have decent 140mm/120mm blue LED case fans.
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 7:38:22 PM

Why_Me said:
The 500R has better thermals and is a better case all around imo. The 600T runs those tiny 120mm fans that sound like a buzz saw when running at full speed. For the Blue LED fans look at the Cooler Master fans. Cooler Master makes that 200mm Blue LED Megaflow fan...cheaper @ amazon, and they also have decent 140mm/120mm blue LED case fans.


is it also silent like scythe fans?
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 7:49:06 PM

sander3 said:
is it also silent like scythe fans?

Scythe makes decent fans also. I don't believe they manufacture a 200mm fan, but they have some great 140/120mm fans.
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 10:35:37 PM

If I'm understanding G correctly, I've got to disagree with him on SSDs not helping game load times. No, they don't improve performance during play and most save game writes are fast enough that you won't notice a difference there. You will notice substantial speed up when games first initialize or when loading large levels. It doesn't cut time in half but you will notice a big difference.

As for size, I use a 128GB m4 and it usually hovers around 10GB - 15GB free space ( about 70GB for six games. ) So if you want to have more games simultaneously installed, if you can swing a 256GB, I'd say go for it. Yes, games installed on performance oriented platter drives won't load a whole lot slower than an SSD. So if you want to pay extra for a Caviar Black, you shouldn't need the bigger SSD. But right now it seems to be the trend to pair the SSD with a slower spindle drive and save the money ( a 2TB Caviar Black drive is almost twice as much as the Green model. )
m
0
l
June 12, 2012 10:59:11 PM

RedJaron said:
If I'm understanding G correctly, I've got to disagree with him on SSDs not helping game load times. No, they don't improve performance during play and most save game writes are fast enough that you won't notice a difference there. You will notice substantial speed up when games first initialize or when loading large levels. It doesn't cut time in half but you will notice a big difference.

As for size, I use a 128GB m4 and it usually hovers around 10GB - 15GB free space ( about 70GB for six games. ) So if you want to have more games simultaneously installed, if you can swing a 256GB, I'd say go for it. Yes, games installed on performance oriented platter drives won't load a whole lot slower than an SSD. So if you want to pay extra for a Caviar Black, you shouldn't need the bigger SSD. But right now it seems to be the trend to pair the SSD with a slower spindle drive and save the money ( a 2TB Caviar Black drive is almost twice as much as the Green model. )

+1

240GB - 256GB is perfect for Windows and games.
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 12:33:51 AM

another question

what is the main difference that makes the $20 gap between ASUS z77 pro and ASUS z77 V-LGA
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 1:46:32 AM

sander3 said:
another question

what is the main difference that makes the $20 gap between ASUS z77 pro and ASUS z77 V-LGA

The eSata support...something you probably will never use in your lifetime seeing how Intel just came out with Thunderbolt...although it needs some polishing up by the looks of the review done on it here on Toms.
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 2:12:03 AM

also you did not answer me when i said what if i switch out all the fans in the 600T to something better

would it work just as good or better than a 500R
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 2:18:34 AM

sander3 said:
also you did not answer me when i said what if i switch out all the fans in the 600T to something better

would it work just as good or better than a 500R

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <----- 2 x 200mm fans. I didn't see that before. Where you can add those 120mm fans to the side, you can probably fix it to add a 200mm side fan. Where there's a will there's a way. Plenty of goodies at the hardware store for that. What the temps will be I have no idea, but I would say probably pretty good that it runs on the cool side with that side fan.
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 3:14:09 AM

ok then i was trying to find a white case like 500R with a see thru panel so i can put inside LED lights to see the whole system

guess i will go with just a white 500R for a case
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 3:25:01 AM

sander3 said:
ok then i was trying to find a white case like 500R with a see thru panel so i can put inside LED lights to see the whole system

guess i will go with just a white 500R for a case

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <---- this case comes with a mesh panel and a window. Those window can be modded for a fan with a dremel and it works decent enough. But you get both with that case. Click on the last pic on that link and then enlarge it.
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 6:11:53 PM

another thing that i heard is that AMD does better inside a triple screen
so would a 7970 beat a 670 at triple screen res?
m
0
l
June 13, 2012 6:24:28 PM

also i have a very bad experience with on board sound and that's why i want to get a sound card.

i have a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium

but i was planning on giving it to my little brother as i gave him a high end headset and he is still using on board sound

i have a Sennheiser PC360 and with on board sound there is not enough power to it
m
0
l

Best solution

June 13, 2012 7:54:20 PM

sander3 said:
another thing that i heard is that AMD does better inside a triple screen
so would a 7970 beat a 670 at triple screen res?

AMD Eyefinity is the only thing that comes to mind in regards to the tri monitor set up. AMD use to have a decent advantage with the extra VRAM vs Nvidia but all these new gen Nvidia cards (670/680) come with 2GB of VRAM.



http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-680-sli... <----- that's part of the gtx 680 SLI review toms did before the release of the 670. It pretty much mopped the floor with the 7970 in high resolution.
Share
June 13, 2012 11:01:07 PM

Best answer selected by sander3.
m
0
l
!