kunal08soni

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
hii i have intel core 2 quad q9300 and from the past few days my cpu is running too cold,intel desktop utilities is showing my cpu thermal margin around 10 degree celsius and sometimes it drops to 1 degree,please help before i damage my cpu

Well firstly thats impossible with air cooling unless your room is sub 10C. I would imagine that the utility is not showing the correct temperature. Download HWinfo64 or CoreTemp and it should tell you the correct temp. What does BIOS say?

I wouldnt worry unless you are worried about the temps getting too hot. one of those programmes should tell you correctly though

First of all, intel desktop utilities is probably just reading a sensor wrong.

This is incredibly easy to tell - put your hand over the air exit. If it isn't almost as cold as an ice cube, the sensor is broken.

Secondly, there's no such thing as running "too cold." Computers aren't like cars - they LIKE being cold. If they didn't, then why would overclockers get extreme numbers using liquid nitrogen?

InvalidError

Titan

Cold, yes. But not TOO cold.

Somewhere between -200C and -230C junction temperature, hole mobility in silicon starts slowing down and causes transistors to start switching more slowly which increases switching losses and prevent the cores from getting much colder than that without compromising operation. Forcing colder temperatures than that this "freezing point" would actually degrade overclocking results.

1depp1

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012

lol, you got a point there, but unless going for overclocking past 8 ghz, who would in a right mind use liquid nitrogen/hydrogen/ or any gen, for normal usage? :pt1cable:

InvalidError

Titan

Quite true.

Even when overclocking, overclocking records are held by CPUs with 50-75% of their cores disabled. Great single-threaded performance but for multitasking, the 8GHz extreme overclock ends up marginally better than a 4GHz quad-core.

InvalidError

Titan

LN2 is a 'little' extreme. In the ole days of 5-30W CPUs, people often use thermo-electric modules for their esoteric cooling/overclocking needs which made it possible to run the CPU ~5C below ambient without too much work. Phase-changed cooling was the next step up and enabled sub-0C temperatures but a lot more setup work around the CPU socket.

Today though, not many people are interested in that degree of esoteric operational cooling and all the extra work it requires. I suspect this is in large part due to much higher CPU powers combined with much higher stock performance that make the endeavor both far more expensive and unnecessary for most people who might have been interested in it 10 years ago.

1depp1

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
helo there brother, firstly, i think -26C is wrong.. i think the motherboard temp sensor is wrong.

secondly, i think 100C max temp is too high for my liking. i think you should invest in a new aftermarket cpu cooler like the cm hyper 212 evo which is really cheap.

on the other hand, i think your 2+ year old cpu is starting to show it's age... :(

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED

We are talking temperatures within the realm of normality. Not absolute zero....