Choppy display with new monitor [HELP]

phishyfeet

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
Ok so the title makes it sound a bit worse than what the problem really is, but anywho let me just jump into it.

I recently upgraded to a 27' Monitor from a older ViewSonic 20'

I noticed that when I watch YouTube videos in full screen it seems like the video acts a little choppy for a half second. My resolution is now 1920x1080 @ 60hrz refresh rate. Does my CPU, GPU or Ram have anything to do with the occasional choppy-ness I'm seeing from time to time. It isn't consistent and doesn't stay choppy, its moments are selective and sudden.

Any help or suggestions would be great, thanks :hello:

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
CPU
AMD Phenom II X2 555 26 °C
Callisto 45nm Technology
RAM
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 669MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. GA-880GA-UD3H (Socket M2) 40 °C
Graphics
ASUS VE278 (1920x1080@60Hz)
1024MB GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA) 36 °C
Hard Drives
488GB Hitachi Hitachi HDS721050CLA362 ATA Device (SATA)

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Its definitely not the hardware here. You have a powerful PC.

2 possibilities:
1- your internet (HD video is more demanding on that too) or
2: A software or driver issue. Have you tried multiple internet browsers? updated flash? updated your Nvidia drivers?

phishyfeet

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
I tested it out on downloaded webisodes and I don't seem to experience the occasional chop but I've only has this monitor for a day. I've been reading that at higher resolutions you need a better GPU to get better display quality. Now given this was in reference towards games, I just assumed they went hand in hand.

I will see if there is an updated driver for my graphics card.

Thanks for the response. Is there any truth to better internal components regarding watching downloaded videos or does that only apply towards gaming? I can't imagine much resources being used during video playback, at least not more than what's required to play video games. Thanks again.

EDIT =-= =-= EDIT =-= =-= EDIT =-= =-= EDIT =-= =-= EDIT =-= =-=

So there is a more recent driver. I'll give it a try.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
In the past, most video playing was done by the computer processor, however over the past couple years more and more software has become able to intelligently offload work onto the GPU. The newest versions of Flash(youtube) enable some sort of GPU augmentation. Newer and better video playing software on your computer will enable it too.

However, for reference, many smartphones today are capable of running/streaming HD video -- so your GPU running video is like driving a golf cart with a V6.