Desktop won\'t connect to internet, but my laptop does

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeano

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
My desktop internet connection was working fine one minute, then it was gone. I got in touch with AOL went right through windows system32\cmd.exe but nothing. I was told they could do nothing to help told me it must be my computer. I have had someone look at computer but he couldn't find anything wrong. I am using my husbands laptop at present and have been on various sights to try and get some sort of idea of what it might be, but most of the suggestions mean access to my own computers internet which obviously I cannot do.

I'm considering buying a motherboard but if it's not that I'd just be wasting money. On the desktop I have local area connection4 speed 100Mbps limited or no connectivity, connection status (the problem occurred because network did not assign a network address to the computer)when I click repair it says it can't, it might be the network not the computer. Any suggestions please.

Log into the administrative interface for your router and see if there is anything wrong with the configuration there. Make sure it's actually detecting your desktop that can't seem to get connected.

Also, check the back of the desktop and make the link lights are flashing on the network adapter, indicating that a connection is present and active. If there are no link lights, unplug the network cable and plug it back in.

jeano

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011

Thanks followed instructions but still could not get on the net. I was told of a local lad who could fix any computer so I contacted him. He came to my house took my tower away and bought it back the next day fixed. The problem was the net card and he charged me £10 for it. The other bloke I got to look at it who said he could'nt find anything wrong owns a computer repair shop. I know who my repair man will be now if I have anymore problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.