Acer Stuck on Install Cleanup 31/32 - SCREENSHOTS - Please Help!

JakeHanrahan

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Hi, I hope you can help.

I have an Acer Aspire 5736. It ran perfectly for 11 months (bought from brand new) then suddenly started going very slow and laggy.

I defragged and ran all the virus protection to no avail. I downloaded CCleaner which did something detrimental to my registry. It then wouldn't boot past the Windows is loading screen after this.

Eventually the only thing I could do was go into the Laptop in Safemode, backup all my files to a USB and reformat the laptop using the Acer service I could access after many failed attempts at a System Repair.

Everything ran fine, Windows is installed, I named my Hard drive and all the rest of it, but then it just wouldn't get past 31/32 on "Install Cleanup".

I let it run 16 hours straight and nothing happens. I just constantly have this Acer screen telling me not to turn off or remove the power as it's installing software.

I can't access the rest of the laptop and every time I force restart it goes back to this screen.

I'm a novice, clearly, and any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

JakeHanrahan

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
No way! What does removing the battery do?

I've held down the off button several times, but every time it starts back up and goes into windows it goes back to 31/32 for hours on end.

I'll try it out in a minute though.

JakeHanrahan

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
The battery trick didn't do anything, but I have managed to keep pressing the windows key and quickly cancel off the Acer program that is trying to install these updates and managed to get a print screen of the program in the process.

annoyingerror.jpg

It's driving me mad, and what's worse is the lagging seems to have come back, which makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with the laptop as I have totally wiped everything.

JakeHanrahan

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Well I managed to close the install by hitting windows button to find task bar and then just managed to right click and close the install cleanup.

JakeHanrahan

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
I honestly feel like I'm going to derail the thing worse than before doing that lol.

Someone suggested to me it could be a hardware problem, which is not good but I don't get how after 11 months this could happen.

just use msconfig diagnostic startup if you dont want to manually disable stuff in case you derail it

its totally undoable just by going back to msconfig and selecting normal startup

you could check whether its hardware by running a live cd like ubuntu i suppose or a windows live cd--if they run

ok then its not hardware related

Berg_47

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013

Had the same problem on a Gateway which is now Acer. After trying to get into Task Manager I finally got an idea of the task name causing the issue.

Boot into Safe Mode

Change in Control Panel to show hidden files

Go to Directory: C:\OEM\Preload\Command\AlaunchX and rename AlaunchX to something like AlaunchX_Old

This did the trick for me hope it helps you

Michael Roberto

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Michael Roberto

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Did you fix this I have the same computr same problem, thanks

honestygerry

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
I got mine working. I threw the kitchen sink at this one but could not solve it until now.

Done what another user tried above plus something else. Once the program is running you are powerless, you cant close it, it starts up on its own and you can do nothing.

This bits tricky: Keep tapping the windows key on the keyboard (bottom left keyboard usually). Every time you do this, you will see the taskbar appearing for a split second and then it goes back to the program thats running. When you tap the windows key you have to line the mouse up over the active taskbar program (small icon to the right of start button). Once lined up, that you have the mouse arrow hovering over it, tap the windows key and right click (this will right click the active program window) and quickly move mouse up a fraction and LEFT click close program from the small menu. This is not an easy thing to do. You have to be superfast. But be patient, you WILL close this son of a b@&£h.

So its:

Press windows key, line up your mouse arrow active icon. You are doing this blind, have to trust that the mouse is where you want it. RIGHT CLICK, move up a fraction (this bits the hardest), LEFT CLICK Close window all at the same time.

Altogether its Windows key, RIGHT CLICK icon, MOVE UP a fraction, LEFT CLICK close window.

Did you close it? Fantastic! Now you will see your desktop. This next bits important, ive tried disabling this program called ALaunchx.exe (Trigger New Acer ALaunchx) from Acer through Start, Run (or windows key and R key), msconfig, hit enter, select Startup tab. The program still just loads no matter what. This is what worked for me. Whilst in msconfig and after clicking on Startup tab, find ALaunchx and widen the Command column. This will tell you where this program is located.

Mine was located at : C:\oem\preload\command\alaunchx\appinrun.exe

So i went to run command (windows key and R) and typed in C:\oem\preload\command\alaunchx\
This brought up the destination of the file appinrun.exe. I renamed appinrun.exe to fadsfsd.exe or whatever.exe, just at long at its not called appinrun.exe. The computer now cant load it because its renamed. Restart computer, no more annoying program.

Let me know if this works please. Thanks and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

McLarry

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014

This is the perfect solution +1

warno

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014

I am posting this solely to thank you!
I read a million posts in a million threads in a million forums looking for the answer and here it is. Bravo to you!

tcglv

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014
Hi all, I ran into this issue with an Acer and also a Gateway. I am a firm believer in KISS and I hit ALT+F4 and it closed and I was able to get to the desktop with no problem.

**UPDATE**
forgot to add after you close the updater/installer, you go into regedit HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run and look for the command that you see with the Aalch*.exe

Had to do a search in the registry for AlaunchX.exe and delete all the entries and the loader went away...what a PITA

Hope this helps.

Mike B
The Computer Guys Las Vegas

TRENDING THREADS