Sign in with
Your question

Bad Temp + GPU usage after moving PCI Slot and Driver Update ATI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 15, 2012 5:55:29 AM

I have had my Radeon HD 6870 Hawk for about 2 months and have been very Satisfied but just today I switched the card from one of my pci slots to the other, because of this the card was not recognized, so I updated to the latest drivers, and I cleaned the dust from inside of the computer. After that the card functioned but it seemed to get hot much faster, the sound is annoying, and the card is being pushed to 14-25 idle and 95-100 gpu usage on even a simple game like minecraft. The temps are 50C idle, and 70-90C on Medium Load. Even after putting it in the old slot the problem continues. Could this just be bad drivers, please help? Before this the card worked amazingly, and I had no problem like this. Thanks in advance :( 

My Computer Specs: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/5nY5
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2012 6:03:07 AM

Are the fans on your GPU working properly? I'm a bit concerned about them because you said there is an annoying sound. Also by any chance, did you hit the fan while moving it from one slot to the other? :/ 
m
l
April 15, 2012 6:11:29 AM

mocchan said:
Are the fans on your GPU working properly? I'm a bit concerned about them because you said there is an annoying sound. Also by any chance, did you hit the fan while moving it from one slot to the other? :/ 

By annoying sound I was referring the sound of the fan spinning fast, I can see both fans spinning perfectly fine.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 15, 2012 7:05:25 AM

I just took out the gpu, cleaned it and both fans spin freely. I am going to try and reinstall the later version of the drivers.
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 15, 2012 7:15:23 AM

Fan control is done by the card itself and has nothing to do with the drivers unless you modify them to manually adjust the fan speed.

CCC->Performance->Overdrive (should be disabled)

I'm quite baffled since you said the issue remains after you went back to the original slot as normally I would have said the issue was your graphics card fans being blocked.
m
l
April 15, 2012 7:34:47 AM

photonboy said:
Fan control is done by the card itself and has nothing to do with the drivers unless you modify them to manually adjust the fan speed.

CCC->Performance->Overdrive (should be disabled)

I'm quite baffled since you said the issue remains after you went back to the original slot as normally I would have said the issue was your graphics card fans being blocked.

I am going to let my computer sit overnight, I will continue with it tomorrow, and I just disabled overdrive (Possibly the problem)
m
l
April 15, 2012 7:03:17 PM

It appears now to only be overheating, any suggestions? I can take a picture of the inside of computer if necessary.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2012 7:10:04 PM

You may have somehow knocked the heat sink loose from the GPU. You also said you moved the card because it wasn't recognized, is that correct?
m
l
April 15, 2012 7:28:09 PM

aicom said:
You may have somehow knocked the heat sink loose from the GPU. You also said you moved the card because it wasn't recognized, is that correct?

It was not recognized as an ati graphics card, only a monoter until I reinstalled the drivers, then it was detected fine. Would it be possible the heat sink is loose from the gpu and how can I fix this? Thermal paste?
m
l
April 15, 2012 7:39:18 PM

I definitely think its the loose gpu heat sink because the fans are spinning fine and everything looks to be inorder, but its overheating really bad over simple things
m
l
April 15, 2012 11:50:35 PM

How would I go about reseating/removing and reattaching the heat sink/fan from the gpu, I have some Dynex Silver Thermal Compound. Could someone explain the procedure? Thanks :) 
m
l
April 16, 2012 6:45:59 AM

Due to the design of my gpu being to keep it extremely cool I am surprised this is happening, should I try a warrentry replacement or should I try to fix it myself?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2012 6:47:27 AM

johncatman said:
Due to the design of my gpu being to keep it extremely cool I am surprised this is happening, should I try a warrentry replacement or should I try to fix it myself?

Sorry I haven't been around to look at this thread today. :( 

If it's still under warranty replace it! It's your best bet :)  If you do something yourself and end up messing something up, you won't be able to do anything about it!
m
l
April 16, 2012 8:24:55 AM

mocchan said:
Sorry I haven't been around to look at this thread today. :( 

If it's still under warranty replace it! It's your best bet :)  If you do something yourself and end up messing something up, you won't be able to do anything about it!

How would I go about replacing it, I have the serial number and everything :p . thanks in advance
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2012 8:33:04 AM

johncatman said:
How would I go about replacing it, I have the serial number and everything :p . thanks in advance

http://service.msicomputer.com/msi_user/rma_form_new.as...

There ya go, RMA for MSI :)  I haven't RMA'd anything from MSI so I wouldn't know how long the process takes, but I've RMA'd with Corsair (SSD to be exact) and it took a good 2 weeks.
m
l
!