Sign in with
Your question

I just bought a used cpu and it wont work

Last response: in CPUs
October 11, 2012 3:46:25 PM

i just bought a used cpu from my college for $10 but when i turn it on the only thing that comes on screen is no bot device available and i have no idea what to do. any ideas?

More about : bought cpu wont work

a c 190 à CPUs
October 11, 2012 3:53:35 PM

Could you give us a little information on the processor in question, the motherboard and other components in this build?
m
l
a c 109 à CPUs
October 11, 2012 3:55:41 PM

Colleges sell CPUs?

If you mean desktop then there is something wrong with the hard drive, check all the cables going to the hard drive are secure and turn it on if the error comes on again, go into the bios and check if it being detected and check if the hard disks are spinning by putting your ear near the hard drive and 'see' if you can hear a slight hum or vibration, if you hear non of those then the hard drive is most likely dead.
m
l
Related resources
a c 135 à CPUs
October 11, 2012 3:57:26 PM

If you get the "no boot device available" message on screen then the CPU is working fine and you are simply missing a storage device with OS installed on it or whatever boot device you have is not working properly.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2012 3:58:23 PM

Explain the circumstances leading up to changing the CPU.
m
l
a c 135 à CPUs
October 11, 2012 4:01:26 PM

ram1009 said:
Explain the circumstances leading up to changing the CPU.

Upon re-reading the OP's post, I think the OP meant he bought a used system for $10, not just the CPU.
m
l
October 11, 2012 4:07:36 PM

More than likely he bought just hardware and his friend being security wise wiped the hard disk to protect his data. you will need to find an OS to load and if you dont want to fork over the money for windows i recomend unbuntu that you can install for free.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 11, 2012 4:35:27 PM

bkirby71293 said:
i just bought a used cpu from my college for $10 but when i turn it on the only thing that comes on screen is no bot device available and i have no idea what to do. any ideas?

CPU you probably mean "computer" A CPU is just the main processor chip, you can't do anything with that except install it into a motherboard. I guess you can throw it at ducks also. Or any small bird. Or even cats. I guess CPUs have a lot of uses!

You need to install Windows or another operating system on the computer. They probably wiped the drive before selling it. As another poster said, Linux is free and will get you anywhere Windows would aside from PC-based games. But for a $10 PC I doubt you can run any games on that thing anyway.
m
l
a c 135 à CPUs
October 11, 2012 4:50:59 PM

hang-the-9 said:
But for a $10 PC I doubt you can run any games on that thing anyway.

That is my thought as well.

A PC slow/old enough for me to give it away for $10 would not be able to do much beyond web browsing, office applications and other basic computing today.
m
l
October 11, 2012 5:02:52 PM

bkirby71293 said:

Yes, I would agree with everyone else, it looks like they dumped the hard drive. Look around for a sticker on the case that says "Windows" something or other like 95, 98, 2000, XP, Vista or 7 and a 25-character key on the same sticker. That's the operating system you need to locate and load. If you can't get it, go to the school's IT department and explain the situation and see if they can help you locate and possibly install it.
m
l
!