PSU fan goes crazy at every first pc start

jmganjaman

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
So my PSU fan speeds up like crazy with annoyng loud noise at every first pc start up in the day,or after long breaks of time,when windows loads up it becames quiet ,how can i stop this ??? tryed something with speedfan and didn't worked. btw cpu fan spins too fast ,sometimes 3100-3200 rpm with stock lga 775 intel cooler,usualy highest cpu temp 63 c,(when i quickly minimize after logn gaming) ,(core 3 duo e6300) can i lock cpu fan speed ,or prevent from reaching too high cuz about 2500-2800 rpm is really enough for my cpu...

jmganjaman

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
i believe temps are ok,the main point is how can i stop my cpu fan from auto speed up too fast,or to limit rpm or something... and actually noisy PSU fan at startup is more important to me ...

The fan is speeding up in response to something, and that something is temperature! That is why it is not wise to restrict the fan RPM arbitrarily. Get some actual temp readings after first doing a good cleaning with compressed air. You may find that the CPU/heatsink installation might have to be redone.

If the PSU fan is noisy at startup it might be an indication of fan failure. Replace the fan (not the PSU).

jmganjaman

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
as i said i know temps are ok ,after long time gaming quickly minimizing game and seeing my temp never above 63c btw heatsink was installed about few weeks ago in a computer store.... i think silly bios thinks little over 60 degrees is too much for m,y cpu what is not truth,before upgrading to new motherboard my cpu was reaching over 80 and one time 90 c ! and nothing happened instead of cpu fan auto speeding up,no need to replace or clear something gonna install core 2 duo e6300 next week anyway... btw you missed the main topic PSU CRAZY SPEED AT EVERY STARTUP GOOES SO LOUD ,AND easy slaps with hand to psu cover helps a little....

".. If the PSU fan is noisy at startup it might be an indication of fan failure. Replace the fan (not the PSU)..."

Replace the PSU fan before it fails completely!

jmganjaman

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
strange thing is when windows loads up fan speed becomes normal.... and psu is pretty new, it's until windows isnt loaded system doesnt really take care of psu fan speed controling ...

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
I have systems that do that as well. It all depends on the motherboard.
Fans tend to boot at max speed and when the monitors come online and the BIOS detects the temps are in a good range it slows the fan down to save power.

Happens with Video card fans too.

You can look for a newer BIOS that has settings to reduce the RPM on boot.