Full screen game disables second monitor

Good morning all,

I have 2 monitors - the primary runs from my discrete HD6870 and is a 1920x1200, the secondary is driven from the onboard HD4200 and is 1280x1024. The driver is Catalyst 12.1 which behaves very well. I do not wish to upgrade to 12.2 or 12.3 as several of my games have issues with those drivers. All earlier drivers have given the same problem. My o/s is Win7pro64SP1.

I have no issues with any productivity application or media player or any basic windows in full screen. My issue is that when I run a game fullscreen on the primary monitor the secondary monitor gets disabled such that I cannot get my mouse onto that part of the desktop (the desktop and any applications open on it remain there). As I use the second monitor for things like teamspeak, and other things I like to have access to whilst gaming, this is quite irritating. My current work around is having a laptop for those functions but that is not an acceptable longterm solution.

Googling has brought lots of results of how to disable a second monitor to prevent interferance with a poorly written game, but I am after the opposite. Running a game in windowed mode and then maximising the window seems a bit of a cludge and I would prefer a more elegant solution that does not give me a border around the game.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and a real fix will get a 'best answer'.

Q
1 answer Last reply
More about full screen game disables monitor
  1. This is normal. When you go right, how is the game supposed to know you want to go right or to the other monitor? It'd be nice if there was a hotkey or something, but I haven't heard of one.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Games Monitors Graphics