Was getting atikmpag.sys BSOD, Now getting atikmdag.sys

kalvinparker

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
Hi, hoping someone can solve my problem. SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X HD 4870 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E

Screen will show two pixulated vertical lines whilst booting into windows. Then computer would BSOD blaming the file atikmpag.sys.

Going into Safe Mode and deleting the file, would allow me to boot up normally without the use of the proper graphics driver. The screen whilst in windows would be all pixulated and hard to read.

I have uninstalled Catalyst Software Suite, ran DriverSweeper and deleted anything that was ATI and also completely removed the driver in Device Manager. Restarted Windows and allowed it to download reinstall the driver. If I tried to reinstall the Catalyst Software Suite, the atikmpag.sys problem would return.

The problem seemed to go away for awhile and I was also monitoring the gpu temperature using SAPPHIRE TriXX Tweak Utility. The Card was running on average 40 degrees, I also increased the fan speed a little.

The the screen would start to go all pixulated again but would then go away, depending what I was doing (I was trying to upload pictures to Facebook) There was no change in the GPU temp and I even tried to underclock it a little, but it would not stop the screen going a little funny.

Eventually the computer crashed and rebooted it self, with the pixulated vertical lines re-appearing on screen during boot and BSOD. This time blame was on the driver - atikmdag,sys

I should probably also mention that I took apart the SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X HD 4870 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E, removed any dust in the fan and re-sealed the gpu and memory modules during the first problem I had. Which at the time did not affect the pixulated screen.

Other things I tried previously -

New Mobo: The old burnt out killing to PSU's
New PSU: Read above

CPU: tried Phemom 950x4 and Athlon 64x2
Memory: Old mobo supported 4 sticks, new mobo only supports 2 sticks, also had a spare stick I tried.

This definatly an issue with the SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X HD 4870 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E.

Is this an overheating problem or driver related issue???

kalvinparker

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
RESOLVED - Sapphire website states only 2 years warranty but after speaking with supplier, they told me it was 3 years. It has been confirmed that there is a fault with the card and has been sent to manufacturer for repair or replacement.

I hope this helps anyone that comes across this thread in future. Check the warranty status with the company you bought from before weeks of ripping your hair out!!!!