Problem with a new build.

Jonny1987

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
Hey guys.

I've just finished building my third custom PC. All seemed to be going great until for some reason, midway through a Prime 95 stress test (which ran successfully for close to three hours), my PC powered off (I was in another room).

Upon trying to restart, I found that the PC would boot for a few seconds, and then power off. This happened several times. On the fourth or fifth attempt, everything successfully booted and Windows 'resumed', the Prime95 test was still running.

I'm not too sure what's happened here. Any ideas guys? The specs are below.

Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Motherboard
Intel Core i5 3570k (was OC'd to 4.2ghz at time of test, temperatures ranged from 66-75 degrees across the cores, but tended to float around 68 at load. Idle @ 30 degrees)
G-Skill 8GB DDR3 1666mhz
Samsung 128GB SSD
2TB 7200rpm WD HD
OCZ ModXStream 600w PSU
No graphics card just yet
Sharkoon T9 Red case

sis you update the bios to the last rev it has some cpu fixes and cpu code updates. it could have been two things..the temp monitor on the mb is set lower then the max temp and you reached it in prime95 so the mb turned itself off to protect itself. a few of the reboots could have been the board slowly resetting itself. on my old g board if you set the ram speed wrong or have a failed over clock the mb will reboot a few times till it goes back to default speeds.

Jonny1987

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
I seriously don't think I reached the Tj max of 105 degrees with Prime 95 at 4.2ghz

The test was actually still running on reboot!