Remove 'Turn-Off' and Add Customized?

I have seen the tweak on a few pages to add a desktop icon
that will shutdown the system (and no doubt with a minor
change have it reboot instead).

Is it possible to place this new button in the start menu
rather than the desktop?

Better yet, how about removing the default 'Turn Off
Computer' and replacing it with the new 'Don't ask me what
I want to do, just reboot' icon?

I guess the same result would be changing the 'Turn Off'
icon (even that would keep me happy .... any ideas? -
i'm not sure how to open and alter the .dll), and also
changing the response from clicking it.
3 answers Last reply
More about remove turn customized

    Hi Martin,

    To shutdown: shutdown.exe -s -t 00
    To restart: shutdown.exe -r -t 00

    The shutdown option on the start menu cannot be customised. It is best to place this shortcut on the
    desktop for easy accessibility.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "martin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have seen the tweak on a few pages to add a desktop icon
    > that will shutdown the system (and no doubt with a minor
    > change have it reboot instead).
    >
    > Is it possible to place this new button in the start menu
    > rather than the desktop?
    >
    > Better yet, how about removing the default 'Turn Off
    > Computer' and replacing it with the new 'Don't ask me what
    > I want to do, just reboot' icon?
    >
    > I guess the same result would be changing the 'Turn Off'
    > icon (even that would keep me happy .... any ideas? -
    > i'm not sure how to open and alter the .dll), and also
    > changing the response from clicking it.

    I use Anando's line ( rt. click on Desktop>New>Shortcut>enter "shutdown.exe
    -s -t 03").[No quote marks.] The "-t 03" gives me 3 seconds to change my mind
    and click on "shutdown.exe -a"; the command for "abort shutdown" (enter
    anything for "Name" of shortcut.) I also use shutdown.exe -r -t 03 for
    "Reboot".
    I drag them onto my QuickLaunch bar. One click and I'm Out!
    Navigate in Explorer to "Doc's and Settings>(Your User Folder Here)>Start
    Menu, then, rt.clk.>new>shortcut, if you want them in the Start Menu.(Under
    "All Programs".)
    Use the Properties page to Change Icon on your new shortcuts if you like.

    "martin" wrote:

    > I have seen the tweak on a few pages to add a desktop icon
    > that will shutdown the system (and no doubt with a minor
    > change have it reboot instead).
    >
    > Is it possible to place this new button in the start menu
    > rather than the desktop?
    >
    > Better yet, how about removing the default 'Turn Off
    > Computer' and replacing it with the new 'Don't ask me what
    > I want to do, just reboot' icon?
    >
    > I guess the same result would be changing the 'Turn Off'
    > icon (even that would keep me happy .... any ideas? -
    > i'm not sure how to open and alter the .dll), and also
    > changing the response from clicking it.

    Or use Shutdown Tray 1.3.2 from http://www.victechsoftware.com/.

    From their screen
    ShutdownTray
    Version 1.3.2
    Last Updated: May 24, 2004
    Freeware
    Allows quick access to system power management

    This installs as an icon in the system tray, but I find it quite convenient.
    --
    Cheers,
    Trevor L.

    http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

    begin 666 sdticon.gif
    M1TE&.#EA( `@`,0``````#,`,S,S,P``9E]?7W=W=X" `,S,,___,S,SS#,S
    M__\`@(:&AI:6EIF9F;*RLL# P,S,S-?7U^/CX^KJZOCX^ ``````````````
    M`````````````````````````"'Y! D```L`+ `````@`" ```C^`!<('$BP
    MI021(C,^<,#Q04:5"UE2F,"S`H68)F=BO-GQ8H4)!!A X$FA0LP',QL,?2#
    MZ(0``P8H[>DTJ .I`"" 1:@S0(($695&D#"A0E &!0!\90" [%&S9]%J??"R
    MPMRX<^L>9'DU@0(%!@X<R%I@Y%^Y8P??-6P`P8'#:!U+!1S98%G#!Q 84'!V
    M0,;'@>T65A!Z-&G3$%!W+DC8+&++I-&>W@R9KNJLE''KCLT[]6 '.R%DS5UZ
    M-US(<<D2*." I_(!>6&CCJZ0P'0',;,U9G4>ESM#[]3#:^<M^"%Z!QK)MX_X
    B7N-CCP/?._C*<3Y^] TT`(!_^ GD'8$%)JC@@@Q:%! `.P``
    `
    end

Configuration Desktops Windows XP