Remove 'Turn-Off' and Add Customized?

February 2, 2005 7:37:20 AM

I have seen the tweak on a few pages to add a desktop icon
that will shutdown the system (and no doubt with a minor
change have it reboot instead).

Is it possible to place this new button in the start menu
rather than the desktop?

Better yet, how about removing the default 'Turn Off
Computer' and replacing it with the new 'Don't ask me what
I want to do, just reboot' icon?

I guess the same result would be changing the 'Turn Off'
icon (even that would keep me happy .... any ideas? -
i'm not sure how to open and alter the .dll), and also
changing the response from clicking it.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 9:16:46 PM

Hi Martin,

To shutdown: shutdown.exe -s -t 00
To restart: shutdown.exe -r -t 00

The shutdown option on the start menu cannot be customised. It is best to place this shortcut on the
desktop for easy accessibility.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"martin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have seen the tweak on a few pages to add a desktop icon
> that will shutdown the system (and no doubt with a minor
> change have it reboot instead).
>
> Is it possible to place this new button in the start menu
> rather than the desktop?
>
> Better yet, how about removing the default 'Turn Off
> Computer' and replacing it with the new 'Don't ask me what
> I want to do, just reboot' icon?
>
> I guess the same result would be changing the 'Turn Off'
> icon (even that would keep me happy .... any ideas? -
> i'm not sure how to open and alter the .dll), and also
> changing the response from clicking it.
Anonymous
February 2, 2005 9:25:05 PM

I use Anando's line ( rt. click on Desktop>New>Shortcut>enter "shutdown.exe
-s -t 03").[No quote marks.] The "-t 03" gives me 3 seconds to change my mind
and click on "shutdown.exe -a"; the command for "abort shutdown" (enter
anything for "Name" of shortcut.) I also use shutdown.exe -r -t 03 for
"Reboot".
I drag them onto my QuickLaunch bar. One click and I'm Out!
Navigate in Explorer to "Doc's and Settings>(Your User Folder Here)>Start
Menu, then, rt.clk.>new>shortcut, if you want them in the Start Menu.(Under
"All Programs".)
Use the Properties page to Change Icon on your new shortcuts if you like.

"martin" wrote:

> I have seen the tweak on a few pages to add a desktop icon
> that will shutdown the system (and no doubt with a minor
> change have it reboot instead).
>
> Is it possible to place this new button in the start menu
> rather than the desktop?
>
> Better yet, how about removing the default 'Turn Off
> Computer' and replacing it with the new 'Don't ask me what
> I want to do, just reboot' icon?
>
> I guess the same result would be changing the 'Turn Off'
> icon (even that would keep me happy .... any ideas? -
> i'm not sure how to open and alter the .dll), and also
> changing the response from clicking it.

Anonymous
February 3, 2005 3:07:43 PM

Or use Shutdown Tray 1.3.2 from http://www.victechsoftware.com/.

From their screen
ShutdownTray
Version 1.3.2
Last Updated: May 24, 2004
Freeware
Allows quick access to system power management

This installs as an icon in the system tray, but I find it quite convenient.
--
Cheers,
Trevor L.

http://www.polesoft.com/refer.html

begin 666 sdticon.gif
M1TE&.#EA( `@`,0``````#,`,S,S,P``9E]?7W=W=X" `,S,,___,S,SS#,S
M__\`@(:&AI:6EIF9F;*RLL# P,S,S-?7U^/CX^KJZOCX^ ``````````````
M`````````````````````````"'Y! D```L`+ `````@`" ```C^`!<('$BP
MI021(C,^<,#Q04:5"UE2F,"S`H68)F=BO-GQ8H4)!!A X$FA0LP',QL,?2#
MZ(0``P8H[>DTJ .I`"" 1:@S0(($695&D#"A0E &!0!\90" [%&S9]%J??"R
MPMRX<^L>9'DU@0(%!@X<R%I@Y%^Y8P??-6P`P8'#:!U+!1S98%G#!Q 84'!V
M0,;'@>T65A!Z-&G3$%!W+DC8+&++I-&>W@R9KNJLE''KCLT[]6 '.R%DS5UZ
M-US(<<D2*." I_(!>6&CCJZ0P'0',;,U9G4>ESM#[]3#:^<M^"%Z!QK)MX_X
B7N-CCP/?._C*<3Y^] TT`(!_^ GD'8$%)JC@@@Q:%! `.P``
`
end
!