Problem with having a 1000W PSU

gdone83

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Good morning!

I am looking at purchasing a new PSU for my computer.

Running EVGA 460 GTX Superclocked
Phenom 2 X4 965 black edition
4 gig DDR3 1666 ram

There is a great special on a 1000w OCZ PSU from NCIX

http://www.ncix.ca/products/?sku=44873&vpn=OCZZ1000M&manufacture=OCZ%20Technology&promoid=1258#CustomerReviews
$99.99 after $30 manufacturers rebate

Is having 1000W PSU in a system which has had 700W in the past a problem?

I imagine it only supplies only what it needs to but I figure at that price to grab it in case I want to upgrade to a more powerful system later on.

Thanks in advance!

Nothing wrong with it. PSUs have an ideal % band of operation whereby they deliver best efficiency. This differs, but all this really means is that by operating outside this band, your PSU may be pulling a bit more from the wall than it would if you were in this band. 60-80% is what i have read for most PSUs, so you will be more like 20%, but there is no harm in this.

To expand on what he said, 80+ tests PSUs at 20%, 50%, and 100% capacity, and efficiency must be high for certification. Below 20% load though, efficiency drops off, sometimes very quickly. On a sub-100W load (10% or less), that PSU may only be 70% efficient, or even less. Any time you're not playing games, that's where you'll be. With a 500W PSU, that's 20% of its label, so it will be in a more efficient part of its range. Unless you're planning to run three or four high-end graphics cards, you will never need 1000W; if the 700W PSU is a decent one, it will support two of almost any graphics card; just use that.

gdone83

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
I was tossing up between psu of same price and seemed the best value after rebate.

I get the efficiency I am not too worried about power consumption from the wall. Having a 1000w wont effect performance at all though will it?

catatafish

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
What brand/model is your current 700 watt? Do you just feel like buying somethng and came across a good deal? I don't understand why you would do ths. Buy things that make sense, and buy them when it makes sense to buy them. There will ALWAYS be SOMETHING on sale.

Being efficient is cooler than being big.

gdone83

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
My current is an OCZ, I was looking for a modular 700-750w psu for around $100-120 and figured if there was no performance decrease for having a more powerful psu I would just go with that option.

If you have any suggestions through NCIX they would be awesome, I need a power supply asap. Thank you!

Well, lower efficiency means more heat which might impact performance very slightly when overclocking. The main difference is probably going to be noise though. More noisy PSU fan when idling.

I highly doubt the small amount of psu heat is going to lower the performance by even benchmarkable margins.

Yeah like I said, might impact it very slightly. Might. It's not going to matter anyway. The PSU fan noise might, but even that is a relatively minor difference.

gdone83

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
There is no risk using the 1000w with a Asus M4A87TD EVO mobo is there? I don't think there will be. I completely agree I do not need that much power but since just as cheap if not cheaper than a equivalent modular 700-750w PSU I figured, why not!

Thanks a lot really appreciate your feedback