Sign in with
Your question

Computer wont install any version of Windows

Last response: in Systems
June 12, 2012 1:27:17 AM

Hey guys,

I just built this whole new gaming PC and am having troubles installing any version of windows on it. Here is my build:

MB : ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Gen3

CPU : Intel I7 2600k Quad Core Hyperthreading

RAM : G. Skill Ripjaws X F-3 (16 GB total, 4x4)

PS : Antec High Current Gamer 750W

HD : 2 TB Seagate Barracuda

Everything powers on fine, the computer POSTS, it even begins to install windows, and then at some point in the "extracting files" step windows will freeze and give the error messsage "Missing required files" and will abort the installation. I've tried 3 different versions of windows and they all freeze at some point.

I originally had a 3 TB hard-drive in the PC and it installed windows perfectly fine, booted up, but wouldn't install windows updates for some reason. The PC was also only showing 2 TB instead of the 3 TB as it should've. (This is when I found out that windows doesn't support a 3 TB hard-drive with with the regular MBR format). I decided to take back my 3 TB hard-drive and get a 2 TB isntead. This is where I'm stuck. After installing the 2 TB hard-drive the computer won't install any version of windows.

Things I've tried so far:

Pulling out the CMOS battery
Flashing the BIOS
Using different SATA cables / a different SATA port on the MB
Unplugging every component and putting them back in.
Trying only 1 stick of ram (I tried every stick of RAM I have)

Another thing to note, I tried to take my old hard-drive from an old PC and connect it to this setup, and the MB wouldn't detect the hard-drive.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
June 12, 2012 3:34:11 AM

The error message that keeps coming up is "0x80070002"
m
l
June 12, 2012 5:15:37 AM

Which versions of Windows are you trying to install?
m
l
June 12, 2012 5:22:53 AM

Windows 7 64 bit & 32 bit
Vista 32
Windows XP 32
m
l
Related resources
!