Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading a Dell Inspiron 530 to a gaming computer

Last response: in Systems
June 12, 2012 1:27:26 AM

I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 530 at a friend's recommendation only to realize how horrible of a recommendation it was (at least when it comes to trying to play games). The PC came with nearly no memory, which I have since upgraded to 2GB just to run Windows! The graphics card, a NVIDIA GeForce 6800, is virtually useless for any modern games, further proven by the fact that it sells on the internet for only $50.

Long story short, I did my research and decided on a EVGA GeForce GTX 560Ti graphics card. Unfortunately, the motherboard is to small! (It has the PCI-e slot, but the new card covers up all the SATA slots). Also, the power supply only has one PCI-e power cable, whereas the GeForce GTX 560Ti requires two.

My plan is to buy a new motherboard, power supply, and case, and transfer everything else. Is this a good plan? I haven't homebuilt a system in so long everything sounds foreign to me and I have no clue what to buy.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120330-1504)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Inspiron 530
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 2046MB RAM
Page File: 1214MB used, 2877MB available

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6800
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 6800

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
June 12, 2012 2:25:57 AM

Power supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Use these ninety degree sata cables and it won't matter if your video card covers the sata ports: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Spend as little money as possible, or sell the dell intact and start over. You need to list a firm budget for a new build if you go that route. But my suggestions are the most affordable options. You don't need to change cases or the motherboard; if you do that, might as well start over and leave the dell alone.
!